Solar water heating (Read 2667 times)
Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Solar water heating
Feb 10th, 2006 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
I'm playing around with solar water heating at the moment.  First off I'm trying to warm the pool up a bit as it's a chilly 8 degrees at the moment.

I'd be interested in anyone else's experiences with solar water heating - either of their pool or for domestic hot water.  I'd like to heat our hot water using solar as well as the pool so any advice or experiences greatly received!

Thanks,

Nigel

IP Logged

Farway
Ex Member

Re: Solar water heating
Reply #1 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
Hi Nigel
I do not have much experience but can share with you what I have delt with in South Africa for the past 25 years. I have seen many attempts and seen many of them maybe lift a poolīs temp by 1 degree over a 2 month period. My experience from many a pool vist has been that 24 + deg cel should be your aim in water temp as that is where it is most comfy. I am awaiting info on solar panels , designīs ,pipe length and dia. These people did a study on what works and what doesnīt and is aimed at Joe soap at home. Are you going for a pipe coil or a water-fed panel or what did you have in mind??? Smiley

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #2 - Jun 24th, 2006 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
Well, I played and the results are interesting...

The pool (66,000 litres approx) responded well to heating.  The configuration ended up with 4 panels (approx 8ft x 4ft each)  These gave a temperature differential of around 12 degrees from input to output.  Water throughput was around 40-50 litres a minute.  It actually meant the pool was usable by the end of March (it was 22 degrees by then).  The biggest problem was windchill and cold nights - I was amazed how much this caused the temperature to drop and regularly resulted in losing all the previous days heating, and more.  Anyway, I'm persevering and will try a cover or more drastic measures towards the end of the year...it's currently 30 degrees - just right for me Smiley but the days are long and hot and the nights are warm so it doesn't cool down too much.

Most recently I decided to try heating the hot water for the house - with excellent results!  We already had a hot water tank with a heat exchanger connected to an oil boiler and with its own pump.  I disconnected this circuit and 're plumbed' it to go through a solar panel (one of the 8ft x 4ft panels I used on the pool). The hot water tank has a capacity of 200L. The water is being heated to 58.9C (138F) by the panel.
The pump (just a standard domestic central heating pump) is being run by a small (38 euros from Ebay) inverter from solar batteries and panels and I built a temperature differential controller to switch the pump on and off.  The result - free hot water.

Hope this inspires others to try out similar things - save the environment and save some money at the same time!

Nigel

IP Logged

ESS
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 29th, 2006 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
Hi Nigel,

If you install a glazed thermal solar panel, an expansion tank, and a 3 bar pressure relief valve, the water tank will acheive temperatures upto 85 degrees celcius in the summer.  These panels are much more efficient than typical black pool heating panels, and due to being glazed, ensure the wind doesnt drop the temperature of the circulation solution in the panel and exchanger.

IP Logged

El_Alto

Dutch and Curious

Reply #4 - Jul 21st, 2006 at 10:41pm
Print Post  
Hello Nigel,

Donīt know much about solarsystems but I understand this company is soon going to build a huge factory for a revolutionary type of solar-panels in El Pinell de Brai:

http://www.randbenergy.com/presentation_english.htm

Iīvw heard this area has the most sun-hours in Catalonia so they want to build a solar-power central also in El Pinell.   Cool

Mark

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top