Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Anyone know location of an Olive mill (Read 4986 times)
Kevin
Ex Member

Anyone know location of an Olive mill
Jun 1st, 2006 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
Hi Forum,

what a great forum, this is my first posting so here goes.

We have a small olive "farm" with 100+ trees very near Campredo Tortosa and am looking for an olive pressing plant or mill (organic if possible) where I can take my harvest this year. I have never done this before coming from London I look forward to the idea of pressing my own oil etc. I have had the trees pruned but apart from this I have no real knowledge of this world of olives. Any info or advice  would be greatly welcome.

Many Thanks

Kevin

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Re: Anyone know location of an Olive mill
Reply #1 - Jun 2nd, 2006 at 8:57am
Print Post  
Hi Kevin,

glad you're enjoying the forum!  Well, living near Campredo you are very near to one of the 'better' olive mills.  There is one near you called 'Moli d'Oli'.  They are very friendly and helpful and speak a little bit of English (but not much!).

If you come off the new dual carriageway at the Campredo roundabout (the one on the hill that goes over the top of the dual carriage way just after the quarry) then you should find the signpost to it.

For harvesting there are (as far as I'm aware) 3 methods;
1. Make sure the ground is clean underneath and then use a 'Spiky roller' to pick them up.
2. Put down nets and hit the branches with a big stick to shake them off
3. Use a machine to shake them off either into nets or there is a machine that has a collector - it looks like an inverted umberella and wraps round the tree before it's shaken.

Make sure you keep any picked from the ground separate from any shaken from the tree as they pay less for the ones picked from the ground.

If you take a trip to Moli d'Oli then you should be able to pick up some sacks to put the olives in.

If you have carob or almond trees then they will also take these.

Nigel

IP Logged

flintstones
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 2nd, 2006 at 9:05am
Print Post  
Hi Kevin:  Living in Campredo the "Mollydolly" (moli d'oli) is just up the road from you, take the via de servi off the C42 towards L'Aldea, turn down the Cami de Quinto (or something similar!!) and follow for about 1 mile...its on the left.  The proper name is the Casero del Pom..everybody knows it as the mollydolly tho.  Dont know about organic...we take ours there.  The girl in the office (Marga) speaks quite good English.  You can have your own olives pressed if your take over 300 kgs...its not much cheaper than buying it but its nice to have.

IP Logged

Kevin
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 13th, 2006 at 11:24pm
Print Post  
Smiley

Many Thanks for your helpfull response. We will check out the Molly Dolly next time we are over. We hope to start harvesting in November. I hope this is the correct time. In fact we may have to try and offer the harvest to a local farmer or interested party.  Dose anyone know anyone that may be interested in this.

Thanks again

Kevin

IP Logged

nobrot
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 14th, 2006 at 7:50am
Print Post  
Hi Kevin,
try this site,it might be of use

www.geocities.com/~gianno/angi2.html#Planting

Cheers

Ian

IP Logged

Kevin
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Aug 16th, 2006 at 1:06am
Print Post  
Dear all,

many many thanks for your acurate advise on the Molloy Dolly. We recently visited the mill and was greeted by Marga who was very helpful and spoke good english and gave us good information etc.

We still have a couple of more questions though;

1. We were wondering where can we purchase nets and boxes for collection of the olives?
2. Also dose anyone know when aproximately the olives are ready for the harvest? We are coming back for a few days in November to harvest the olives but are not sure what dates exactly. I understood from Marga that between November and say January was the best period? 

thanks again Kevin and Ruth  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top