Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Advice sought on car insurance (Read 3330 times)
sabineopp
Ex Member

Advice sought on car insurance
Jul 31st, 2006 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
Good afternoon

We want to drive over to Spain in our UK registered car. We have just been told by Direct Line we can only have a green card valid for 1 month and thereafter we'd have to go to Direct Line Espana and insure the car with them. They in turn told us that the car needs to be registered in Spain i.e. with Spanish number plates and that this process takes at least 4 weeks if not more. That means we either have to hurry and buy a Spanish registered car and in the meantime drive back to UK and sell our UK registered vehicle or try and sell the UK registered car quickly to someone wishing to return to UK (how on earth can one sell a car in a foreign country within 4 weeks - by offering it up for a dumping price?).

It all sounds a bit like a catch 22 - especially when we know of people who lived in the area for well over 4 years and still drive a car with UK number plates. Are they not insured or how does it work?

Help, please!! Cry

IP Logged

jools
Ex Member

Re: Advice sought on car insurance
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2006 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
Hi Sabine,
I originally brought my car over from the UK over 2 years ago, my insurance company allowed me 60 days at any one time out of the UK.
I then changed it onto Spanish plates at a cost of around 700 euros.
The only problem is that if you want to sell it, you will only get Brits buying it. I actually advertised it on here some time ago for a very good price, fully legal, with the Spanish equivalent of Mot, logbook etc.
I didn't even get one enquiry, and it was only 4 years old with a low milage.

As you ask, yes i think most people still driving on English plates are uninsured, therefore without road tax and MOT's as well, because it is impossible to have all of that unless you take the car back every year and pay your English road tax..................i dont think that happens too often do you?

I now have another English car here as well, which i bought when i went back to the UK at Christmas, i have just paid my British road tax again so that my insurance is still valid.
I have decided that i wont change it to Spanish plates because it is too expensive and then you cant really sell it on anyway.

I had my car in the Subaru dealership in Tarragona for a repair recently, and enquired how much trade in i would get against a new one.
Apparently not very much at all, because basically they cant sell them on either.
So unless i take it back to UK and sell it, i will have two cars that are useless to anyone except me, because i am not prepared to virtually give them away.

Hope this helps.
Jools

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 31st, 2006 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
Hi

Try Dragon Insurance of Alicante.  I too was with Direct Line, who told me the car had to be registered in Spain.  I rang Dragon and they were not worried that I was no longer registered in England, having told them that I was importing it, and that I was not yet registered in Spain.  They got me insurance for a brand of car that is not available over here, with Liberth.  The number is: 902 88 92 92 and ask to speak to Andy.

I hope that this helps.

Tony

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #3 - Jul 31st, 2006 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
Hi Sabine,

I also got my car insured with Dragon Insurance.  I specifically checked with them that it was insured without UK tax or MOT and they confirmed that it was.  

There does seem to be a widely held belief that insurance is only valid if the vehicle is 'Road Legal' in the country of registration.  Having read my insurance policy shedule and certificate from cover to cover (not a fun thing to do!) there is absolutely no mention of the roadworthyness or legality of the vehicle whatsoever.  If someone has WRITTEN evidence of this then I'd love to see it (maybe some insurance policies require this or maybe it's just another unfounded rumour).  The policy I have is underwritten by one of the Lloyds of London sindicates (as are many).

Nigel

IP Logged

sabineopp
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 18th, 2006 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
Hello everyone

Thanks for your advice. we found a UK insurance company that gives us 180 days and when it comes to it we go back and sell the car in UK.

thanks again.

Kind regards
Sabine

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top