Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 10 Is WIFI available 5km from L'Ampolla? (Read 11610 times)
pacmjc
Ex Member

Re: Is WIFI available 5km from L'Ampolla?
Reply #15 - Jan 19th, 2007 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
Thanks we will give them a try end of next month.
Mike

IP Logged

ColinB
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
YES IT IS.     If you can see Deltebre then go into the computer shop in the same road as Mercadona (further down on the other side) take your bank details, fill in a form.  10-14 days later you'll get a call from a technician ( company = Sotechnic I think) he'll run up onto the roof, screw on an antenna, point it at Deltebre, plug a cable into your compoota, configure it and shoot off.   You should then be on broadband wi-fi.  I applied for 1 megabit/second contract at €75 / month. BUT...... it doesn't.   Using a free speed test from      www.bandwidthplace.com ;   the fastest I have logged thus far is just 50 megabits/sec - that means it takes 2.8 minutes to download a 1 MB file.   In comparison, my UK supplied 2 way satellite at €140 per month flashes through the ether at 370 mbps (that's 22 seconds to download 1 MB).
So far I am not impressed and have asked the provider for an explanation but if you're not worried about top speeds, a connection is now available and that might be good news for someone.

PS The technician was too fast and left a really scruffy bit of cable hanging down my wall - he'll have to come back and re-do it if we keep the service.   Good luck.

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #17 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
There is a new repeater that has just recently gone into service on the delta to cover the whole delta area, Camarles, L'Ampolla etc. so anyone strugling with dial up in these areas should now be able to get broadband - but as Colin says, don't expect it to be quite as fast as it is supposed to be!

Nigel

IP Logged

JamJarChris

Power to the peaceful

Reply #18 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
Hi there,

We are in el campo - a little north of Camarles and have just had Internet connected, form the shop that nigel mentioned above. Man in van came and tried to connect us to the repeater on the delta to no avail - but settled on the Mt. Caro option. I ordered the 1meg connection, and after severely pruning a carob - can get up to 870kb on a good day. We are quite a long way from Mt. Caro but it works well.

Had no joy with the Mobile 3G card here - could sporadically connect @ 56k only, so had to go the satellite route.

Chris

quod ambit, redit
GTalk  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top