Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Running a business here .....???? (Read 3750 times)
sabineopp
Ex Member

Running a business here .....????
Jan 9th, 2007 at 11:52am
Print Post  
Good morning

I run a small fair trade business importing beautiful crafts like handbags, ceramics etc. from Africa. I am currently registered in UK as it's the easiest way to do this.

Just wondered if anybody has any experience with running a business in Tortosa i.e. how to go about registering, having a shop, employing people etc. etc. Are there any good professionals one could ask (accountants, book keepers etc.)??

My partner is flat against it as he is convinced the Spanish bureaucracy is killing it stone dead and that the professionals here are very unhelpful. I suppose it doesn't help that he hasn't made an effort to learn Spanish, whereas I try to communciate with people in Spanish (I speak French and German too which helps... with the Catalan ref. French influenced).

Maybe I am completely wrong, but I cannot believe that there is nobody out there (Spanish that is) who would not support new businesses as they bring money into the country....Or maybe I am just naive and too trusting and positive and havn't yet had a disastrous or really bad experience in Catalunya yet.

Any comments or advice - greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Sabine

IP Logged

jools
Ex Member

Re: Running a business here .....????
Reply #1 - Jan 9th, 2007 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
Hi Sabine,

I think you are best talking to a Gestor. Joan at the junction to Jesus is very helpful, and speaks a little English.

If you already have a shop to rent, usually the permissions have already been granted, and you just pay the rent, insurance etc. but if it is a new venture then you have to ask permission at the Ajuntament.

He will also tell you if you have to register as a company, or be self employed, because there are different rates of "autonomous" or paying taxes and national insurance to us!

Hope this helps.

Jools

IP Logged

seamonkey
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 18th, 2007 at 10:20am
Print Post  
Hiya

You could also have a chat with Deena at the English Deli in Sabeco.  She may be able to help.

Tracey

IP Logged

Spawny
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Mar 16th, 2007 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
Hi there sabine.

its actually very easy to open a business here. You just need to get a good Gestor, who speaks english (so there are no misunderstandings). In barcelona, you pay them about €35-40 a month and they set it all up for you and do your accounts etc. They just call you when you have to sign something or pay something. Very simple actually. I'm sure its cheaper down in the ebro valley too.

IP Logged

sabineopp
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Mar 23rd, 2007 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
Thank you so much everyone. Quite encouraging actually, but unfortunately I am now back in UK (those who know me know why  Wink and I don't think I'll be living here full time after all. Shame really as I love the area.

Sabine

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top