Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Health Care Information. (Read 6994 times)
pacmjc
Ex Member

Health Care Information.
Jan 31st, 2007 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
Can any one help with information regarding health care in Tortosa, i.e doctors, hospitals.

As we know the British government only allows two years cover under the U.K national health
any surgestions of the best way forward after that would be appreciated.

As we are quite a few years of the magic 65 years!

If private insurance is the only option can any one recomend a good value company.

Thanks

pacmjc.

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Re: Health Care Information.
Reply #1 - Feb 1st, 2007 at 1:05am
Print Post  
This was one of my concerns, having had private healthcare for a number of years in the UK.
The reality is that the healthcare here is superb and I was worrying about nothing..

The options are:
1. Private healthcare - this can be expensive
2. Cat Salud - 89 euros a month and provides you with the NHS equivalent - but much better - covers all the family and ideal if you don't work or work for someone else.
3. Cat Salud - around 200 euros a month - if you are self employed (Autonomous) thin this covers you and the family plus covers you if you can't work due to illness - may cover more but I'm waiting for information.

Medicine here is much cheaper than the UK (ok there are exceptions) and waiting times are generally far shorter.

Hope this helps,

Nigel

IP Logged

pacmjc
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 1st, 2007 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
Nigel

Thanks for the reply, it looks like number two is the best option, is this easy to set up.
If so do you know how to go about it.
Also is this usually taken up after the two years that the UK provide NHS reciprical cover
for.
Sorry this is a bit in depth but it is quite difficult making the right choice.

Regards

Mike (pacmjc)
=========================================================

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #3 - Feb 1st, 2007 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
Hi,

I don't know anything about a 2 year agreement - as far as I'm aware if you live here for more than 3 months then you must register with the local health service so you can receive any cover. It's one of the first things we did after arriving permenantly.

It's very easy to do - from memory it took us no longer than 1/2 hour.  There is an office in Tortosa where you go with your bank details, NIE, passport and address.  They will give you a temporary card valid (I think) for 1 month - you then get sent a fancy plastic card which is replaced each year.

Hope this helps,

Nigel

IP Logged

viking
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Oct 19th, 2007 at 10:40am
Print Post  
Just to add to this debate. I do think the information you receive in the U.K is abit misleading. I made all the relevant enquiries before I left the UK and was sent a load of paperwork ( E106    ) Indicating that my husband and I were fully paid up with our national insurance and would be entitled to approximately two years of free cover under Spanish system. However on trying to register at Gandesa surgery today I was told that this is for emergency cover only, so anything routine has to be paid for. I was told I would need to go to an office in Tortosa to regsiter for all the family, Servei Catala Salut, CL L a Salle, 8, Tortosa between 9am and 2pm, tel. 977448170. So persumably we will need to pay a monthly installment to receive health care.
I would advise anyone planning on coming out to Spain to consider getting expert advice if they are at all concerned as the Pension Service who gave me all the info on the 106 were somewhat misleading.
Anyway I will be going to Tortosa next week to sign on so if anyone needs to know how this went just ask! I will be taking passports for all the family, NIE's, padronamiento certificates, bank book and the 106 forms that the Pensions authority gave me.

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 19th, 2007 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
Viking
It is not confusing at all if you read the information that is sent with your E106.  This quite plainly tells you to take the 106 to the Social Security Office.  You do not take it to the local surgery (they don't know what it is), you do not take it to the Cat Salut office in Tortosa (they will only tell you to take it to the Socail Security office (INSS).  This is next door to the Cat Salut Hospital / Clinic in the Ferreries area of Tortosa.  They will take the forms off you and get in touch with the Pensions Service in Newcastle who will confirm your rights back to them.  You will receive a letter / form back in due course telling you the date until which you are entitled to receive health treatment.  You then take this to the doctor's surgery to register with Cat Salut.

No problems at all - we have done it !!

IP Logged

flintstones
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Oct 20th, 2007 at 10:32am
Print Post  
We took all the paperwork we thought they could possibly ask for, but (stupidly, of course) ommited to take our marriage certificate...so maybe thats another bit of paper to add to your list.

We are now signed up to Allianca, private health insurance, as our "free" health care has now ran out..(we didn't need it anyway) it works out about 100 euros a month for the both of us, which I dont think is a lot different than the state one.

Liz

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top