Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Dangers of gas appliances (Read 2472 times)
jools
Ex Member

Dangers of gas appliances
Feb 4th, 2007 at 12:39am
Print Post  
Hi Nigel,
What a terrible, tragic story about the couple who had the gas explosion.

I was over in Torrecilla, a small village in Aragon last Wednesday with a client. We met in the village bar for a coffee, and there were lots of Guardia Civil and many TV camera crews around.

Apparently there had been an awful fire during the night in one of the traditional stone town houses. One of those portable gas bottle heaters had ignited the curtains in a bedroom. Three very young children died in the blaze, a two year old and 6 month old twins.

I personally think this style of heater is a death trap, a friend of mine was drying some washing around one of these and it also caught fire. If it had been during the night when they were all asleep, it could quite easily have been another tragic story.

Your article about the dangers of these heaters and appliances is very informative, and i hope that people take heed and follow the instructions, myself i wouldn't give them house room.

Jools

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Re: Dangers of gas appliances
Reply #1 - Feb 4th, 2007 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
Hi Jools,

it certainly is terrible what can happen when you take chances.  Unfortunately it isn't just gas heaters that are the problem - much more likely to be a water heater or cooker.  

On friday I changed a regulator - it was 14 years old and had started to disintegrate - I changed another just before christmas that was leaking from the top and will be changing 4 tomorrow that have aged beyond their safe working life. I have also seen gas pipes from the late 1980's still connected, and after advising someone with a caravan on the potential dangers they checked their rubber gas pipes and they started to disintegrate in their hand!

If this is indicative of the state of gas installations then it really is suprising that there aren't more accidents.

Nigel

p.s. I just updated the page on gas safety. In my haste to get something out I inadvertantly said the date on the regulator was the expiry date.  It is actually the date of manufacture and the device should be serviceable for at least 5 years but no more than 10 as the absolute maximum.  This is confusing as the date on the rubber pipe is the expiry date not the manufacture date.

IP Logged

nobrot
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 4th, 2007 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Apparently there had been an awful fire during the night in one of the traditional stone town houses. One of those portable gas bottle heaters had ignited the curtains in a bedroom. Three very young children died in the blaze, a two year old and 6 month old twins.

I personally think this style of heater is a death trap, a friend of mine was drying some washing around one of these and it also caught fire. If it had been during the night when they were all asleep, it could quite easily have been another tragic story

Quote:
it certainly is terrible what can happen when you take chances.

An emotive subject but I think the last quote of Nigels sums it all up,surely human error and lack of commonsense is the major cause of ALL accidents.To place an open fire next to curtains and washing is an accident waiting to happen.To say that these incidents are the fault of the gas fire(assuming it was checked and working properly) is rather a sweeping statement,in the same context,hundreds maybe thousands of people are stabbed each year but are all knives dangerous.

Nigel,I've sent you a PM

Ian 

IP Logged

jools
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 5th, 2007 at 12:39am
Print Post  
Hi Ian,

I fully agree with what you are saying, but, if you could see just how many Spanish and foreign families use these these portable gas heaters as a quick "fix" substitute for central heating during the short winter months, it is frightening.

The emphasis is on air conditioning for the summer months, so proper central heating for the winter doesn't come into the equation, unless of course you have a new modern building. They have these portable heaters all over the place. It only takes a small child, cat or dog, to nudge the washing a little closer to the heater, and the consequences can be distastrous, as what probably happened in the house fire in Torrecilla.

I cant imagine that anybody would endanger their children, house, animals or anything else for that matter with these heaters.

But the fact still remains, that they seem to be the cheap option for heating a home during the winter.

Jools

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #4 - Feb 5th, 2007 at 8:33am
Print Post  
The 'quick fix' is not far off a 'quick make the problem worse'.  The reason is that burning gas generates 3 main components; 1. heat (which we want) 2. Water (which makes the room damp) 3. Fumes (which can kill).

Typically running a gas heater for 5 hours generates 3 pints of water. If your room isn't well ventilated then this water will condensate on the walls/ceilings/windows and you will end up with black mould growing everywhere - not very healthy! The moisture in the air will make the room feel cold and damp so the temptation is to run the heater more.

If the room isn't well ventilated then you will also be increasing the amount of carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide and reducing the oxygen - this will make you drowsy and often gives people headaches. Sometimes the build up of carbon monoxide kills.

As time goes on more people are fitting central heating which doesn't have these problems as it is a dry heat. Also almost all of the air conditioning units sold now are combined cooling and heating (Bomba de Calor) and these are also a safe form of heating. Lastly the traditional wood burner is also a reasonably safe form of heating - just remember to keep the chimney swept!

Nigel

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top