Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
keeping my UK car in spain ... I'm confused ...!?! (Read 4923 times)
dangar
Ex Member

keeping my UK car in spain ... I'm confused ...!?!
Feb 22nd, 2007 at 11:12pm
Print Post  
hello there
I took my UK registered car over to Spain, a few months ago. I do not have residencia in spain, and only come over to Catalunya for long weekends, but pretty frequently. It's currently UK taxed and MOTed, but in a couple of months they run out; I am trying to work out what to do ...

At Reus airport, there are so many UK cars sat in the parking lot. Do these people really return to the UK to have their cars re-taxed / MOTed every year...?! This seems hard to believe. Or are they just risking it and driving without MOT and untaxed...? That must surely invalidate any insurance ...!? Is there some other way people could advise me on how to keep the car here legally - is the whole ITV / local tax on UK plates possible/legal ...?! Or rely on personal liability insurance ...!?!

Or is it a case that these people are just risking it ...!??!
Thanks!
M

IP Logged

roswell
Ex Member

Re: keeping my UK car in spain ... I'm confused ..
Reply #1 - Feb 23rd, 2007 at 9:44am
Print Post  
Wink

IP Logged

nicson
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 23rd, 2007 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
Hi. Yes big can of worms this one. Any car on Brit plates without a tax disc is a big risk, any insurance cover would be invalid.
   Even with tax test and ins there are limitations, there is a good article on this site www.practicalspain.com ; then go to the cars and driving section
  I am not sure wether you need residentia or not in order to have your car converted to Spanish registration, hopefully someone else can answer this, there are other very useful threads on the forum on this subject.
  Hope this helps
Nick.

IP Logged

nobrot
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2007 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
One of those cars is ours I'm afraid. It is insured through a Spanish ins.co. When I asked about the fact that it doesn't have an ITV but still has an MOT which expires some time during the cover and what would be the insurance payout should an accident occur and the MOT(ITV) had run out I was told that the payout would be dependent upon the ascessed roadworthyness of my vehicle at the time....assuming it wasn't my fault,which seemed like a load of B*****KS to me.

Meanwhile the car had to be SORNed in the UK.The DVLA then told me I had to import the car into Spain,re register it on Spanish plates,ITV it etc,etc.This was so If in the future I decided to return to the UK I could then re re register it with the DVLA  and go through the whole bloody performance over again.I could also not do any of this but keep the car in Spain for 6 months and drive it back to Blighty for a new MOT and then drive it back to Spain for 6 months and so on and so on and so on.

When I had lost the will to survive and enquired about the complications of owning a donkey in Spain she got a little stroppy.....
In a nutshell,Roswells reply sums it all up.

IP Logged

cactus jack
Global Moderator

If I agree with you, then
we would both be wrong

Reply #4 - Feb 24th, 2007 at 9:04am
Print Post  
I also keep a van in spain under british insurance and taxed and mot'd in Uk. If you take a vehicle over on !st Jiuly you can keep it there for six months of that calendar year, plus six months of the following year so it has to return to the UK in time for a new mot. As I have more than one vehicle I simply swop them over each summer keeping one in Spain and one in Uk. My Insurance allows me to drive anywhere in Europe for up mto six months per period of insurance so that is renewed 1st jan each year. I am travelling back and forth each month so this is a legal and sensible solution for me.
Steve

Nostalgia is not what it used to be...

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #5 - Feb 24th, 2007 at 9:31am
Print Post  
There is a new guide that has recently been published - it's orange in colour and we got our copy from the local Ajuntament in Roquetes.

It's titled 'Welcoming guide ENGLISH'

One of the sections in the guide is 'Car Registration' which states the following (with minor language corrections!):

Foreigners that bring their private car from their country of origin have six months to legalise their car for use on Spanish roads if they wish to reside permenantly in Spain.

The necessary requirements are:
  • To have an NIE number
  • To be registered (as living in Spain)
  • To go to the ITV station and request the technical registration document for the vehicle
  • To pay the registration tax
  • To register for and pay the municipal tax for the vehicle

You must present all the documentation to the Provincial Headquarters of Traffic of Tarragona, Department of vehicles tel: 977 22 11 96

As an alternative you can go to a gestor and they will do it all for you - we changed our car to Spanish plates - the cost was €600 for everything including the first years road tax.

Nigel

IP Logged

Farway
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
My turn for for my ten cents worth, option 62335-A (Section-C, clause-D of 1998, paragraph 1-26a)....... O-yes, do what most people do, get an E.K.A.F mot and base your insurance on that. The police have started asking for valid mot certs  and insurance docs so have em handy. If you do not have residency, it is a spot fine then and yes, driving with no insurance is is +- 500 - 1000 euro fine and probably your car. (Quoted from caught-un-insured people)

I had the same problem and the easiest way around it was to get a Spanish car, that is legal, tested, insured, vetted, inoculated.......  and in that we have to (and I am PROBABLY wrong) keep my insurance documents and receipt showing it's paid for.
(This has also meant I only need to keep one pair of knickers with me in the car!!)

IP Logged

roswell
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Feb 27th, 2007 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
As chance would have it, a friend was in Mora the other day and got a card left on his windscreen

CMA
Complete Metriculation Assistance
"Change your vehicle registration to Spanish"

Dan and Rea 628 841374

IP Logged

dangar
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Mar 1st, 2007 at 12:05am
Print Post  
Well, I am very grateful for all these comments, thank you for your time ... Yikes! It sounds very complex. Argh. Since my car is a peach, I think I might bite the bullet and register it....

Nigel, could you recommend the gestor you used...? Were you already a resident when you went through this process? Do you think this is obligatory....?
Also, Farway, sorry to be slow, but I would love to know what "an E.K.A.F mot" is ....?

Thanks again for the comments. I do have one perhaps useful tit-bit in return. In the UK, short term car insurance is available from a number of insurers, and I have found one firm that allows trips in UK registered cars to originate outside the UK, even if they are for one or two days. So that really suits weekenders like me. The company is insuredaily.co.uk.
Perhaps this is of use to some...?!

IP Logged

Farway
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
E.K.A.F = FAKE

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top