Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 tough plants (Read 7981 times)
terraalta
Ex Member

tough plants
Mar 4th, 2007 at 11:11am
Print Post  
Hi all.
WE will be out at easter and we want to get a garden strted. We are close to mas De barberans. We are only out during school holdays. Our spanish is of the one word many gesture variety at the moment.
can anyone suggest 5 or 6 robust species that can survive and thrive with literally no care.
WE have oleander but the bougaunvilla seemed traumatised in january.
WE have a shaded area also which we would like to plant.
So its plants for dry and sunny / plants for dry and shaded. [ we get frost']
And finally what days in Holy Week are the processions on in Tortosa?
I am listeing to the rain and the wind battering at the windows in gloomy Wicklow and wishing..........
mary

IP Logged

Debbie
Ex Member

Re: tough plants
Reply #1 - Mar 4th, 2007 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
Hi
We have this dilemma as well as we are only out for about 6/7 times a year and although we would like the plants in the garden to grow I don't want the weeds to grow with the same vigour!  We have used most of the plants that we inherited i.e. the cacti, arum lilies and a fantastic trailing plant, which looks like a tradescantia (wandering jew), which produces very tiny dark pink flowers and isn't too bothered with lack of water.  We tend to just see what plants are growing wild near us and try to copy that.  Without being in Spain full time it is very hard to garden proficiently.  I do bring out my geraniums from my English garden when they have finished here and just plant them out; if they survive it’s a bonus and if they don't nothing lost!
It would be great to hear everybody elses tips
Debbie

IP Logged

flintstones
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 4th, 2007 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
We have some friends who only come out a couple of times a year, and have tried planting various things to see how they go....at the moment, they reckon the most succesfull are the Yukas...they survived right through the summer with no extra watering, and also through the cold spells this winter.

Liz

IP Logged

elfitis
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Mar 4th, 2007 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
Grin

how about some plastic ones Debs
went by your place and all is well love from me  c u soon  Wink
xx

IP Logged

Debbie
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Mar 4th, 2007 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
Smiley

Thanks for the drive by just to make sure its still there!  Yeap plastic plants are next on the list, after all I don't want to spend all my hols gardening I have other things more interesting like seeing mates Wink

IP Logged

terraalta
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 1:18am
Print Post  
Thanks to all who made suggestions for my tough plants. Will try yucca, cacti and lilies.
Just waiting fo the wind to die down, the rain to stop and counting the day to Spain.
happy st. Patrick's Day everybody mary.   Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Aug 18th, 2008 at 9:15am
Print Post  
Castor bean plant is a must looks after itself will grow 6ft in one season and sheds loads of seed pods has lovely red stems and large palmate leaves, it even grows next to the sea, i have seen them at st Carles de la Rapita

If you want seeds ring us on 977059254

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Aug 18th, 2008 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
Personally I would not allow a castor bean plant anywhere near the house or where small children are going to play as the seed pods are extremely poisonous.  They are the source ricin, which Agatha Christie used to great effect in some of her novels.

IP Logged

jools
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Aug 19th, 2008 at 1:35am
Print Post  
Hi Tony,

I'm having an 100 m2 patio on a town house renovated as we speak.

Part of a north facing wall is actually from the family next door but one, so I dont want to waste my own money plastering and painting their wall.

Would like to know what very fast growing climbing plant will cover the wall in a season (russian vine comes to mind but I dont know what it's called in Spanish!!!)

It will be planted in a small stone flower bed or even a large terracotta pot, so it wont become invasive.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Jools

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Aug 19th, 2008 at 9:00am
Print Post  
Hi Jools
Wanting something to grow that quickly would seem to indicate Russian Vine, but like yourself I do not know what it is called in Spanish or even if it is available in Spain.  I cannot say that I have ever partiuclarly noticed it around.  As for other plants well my knowledge is not that good as to what is an extremely fast grower.
May I suggest that you join the Iberian Nature Forum www.iberianatureforum.com and pose your question on the plants section.  I am sure that there is someone on there who will be able to come up with an answer for you.  It is also an extremely interesting forum to belong to if you have any queries about what is growing, walking, swimming or flying around you here in Spain.
Good Luck
Tony

IP Logged

El_Alto

Dutch and Curious

Reply #10 - Aug 19th, 2008 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
Hi Jools,

Russian Vine is known under different names: Correquetepillo, Corre que te pillo, Enredadera rusa, Viña del Tíbet

But be carefull with fast growing plants, there is always a moment in the future you regret the jungle you created  Grin

Mark

IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Oct 1st, 2008 at 9:18am
Print Post  
Quote:
Personally I would not allow a castor bean plant anywhere near the house or where small children are going to play as the seed pods are extremely poisonous.  They are the source ricin, which Agatha Christie used to great effect in some of her novels.

Yes Tony exactly why we planted them, nice and poisonous

IP Logged

HazeandAlan
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Oct 1st, 2008 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
Hi all
I have seen what we call "Morning Glory" all over this area. Very fast growing like Russian Vine and has the most beautiful
deep blue/purple trumpet flowers. It grows wild by the sea aswell.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top