10 Olive info (Read 12942 times)
warner31
Ex Member

Olive info
Mar 12th, 2007 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
Hello
Can anyone help me?
What is the procedure with Olives after the harvest? I know you take them to the mill to press but do they buy the Olive oil there, or is there somewhere else you take it?
Also does anyone know roughly how much profit you can expect on 100 Olive trees?
Any help no matter how small would help me greatly.
Thanks so much to all.
Charlotte

IP Logged

flintstones
Ex Member

Re: Olive info
Reply #1 - Mar 13th, 2007 at 10:25am
Print Post  
Hi Chartotte:  Whenyou take your olives to the mill, you can choose to either have your olives pressed for oil, or sell them to the mill.  90% of the time most people sell their olives to the mill FOR MONEY!!  about 300-350 kilos of GOOD olives will give you about 100 litres of oil. The price this year for olives has been very low, and ours topped out at about 37 cents a kilo  You should also get the opportunity to register for the "pagament unica" from the government.

Let us know if you need to know more.

Liz

IP Logged

warner31
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Hi Liz
Have been trying to PM you but not sure if you getting it. If not hopefully you will read this.
If you did get my PM's i apologise!!!
Hi Liz
I have just wrote to you but not sure if it actually sent as it said there was an error.
I am going to try and repeat the message so i apologise if this is a repeat.
As i said i am sorry i had not replyed before but i was unsure how to!
Thankyou for your info on Olives.
We have not moved to Spain yet but we have always wanted a property with land and Olives.We are hoping to move this year or beginning of next.
Is the grant only given if you have a bad year? Is it the same price regardless?
We are coming to Spain and staying in Tvienys in May for a week to have a good look around, we cant wait!
Do you have any children or pets? We have 2 children, 2 dogs and 1 cat!
Any regrets on moving from UK?
Sorry for the questions but its so great collecting info!
Thank again
Charlotte

IP Logged

flintstones
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
Hi Charlotte...sent you a PM

Liz

IP Logged

bruixa
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 29th, 2008 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
Hi Liz
I desperately need information on the payments/grants could you let me know anything useful. I have been here three years and still know nothing and neither do friends.
Thanks

IP Logged

flintstones
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jan 30th, 2008 at 9:48am
Print Post  
Hi Bruixa....sent u a pm....

Liz

IP Logged

El_Alto

Dutch and Curious

Reply #6 - Jan 30th, 2008 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
Hello dear forum users,

I don't own much olives myself but i'm always interested in postings about farming. So I'm a bit disapointed by all this PM-ing. I think the info asked and the answers given could be very usefull for lots of amateur-farmers and wannabe-expats who read the forum. So please share it with us (forum readers around the world), we will be greatful!

Mark

IP Logged

Pondgirl
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jan 30th, 2008 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
Have to agree with Mark on this. What on earth is the point of a public forum if questions asked are only answered by pm?  Is it all a big secret??

PG

IP Logged

pal-o-rhyme
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jan 30th, 2008 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
Not sure about the grant for olives, but the grant for carobs can be obtained from La Caixa bank, you have to have a certain amount of land , again not sure how much land. Suggest go into the bank and enquire. Grants I think have to be done before March and payment is usually end of the year. Hope this helps Grin

IP Logged

bruixa
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jan 30th, 2008 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
Garnt for Carobs??? More info please! How many trees do you need? Etc etc
I had no idea you could get carob grants.
Also, good point about pms
I will post what was sent me with the senders permission?
Nothing controversial or in violation of the official secrets act I think!
Smiley

IP Logged

bill and bob
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jan 31st, 2008 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
since carrobs has come up in the equation, can someone tell me,where do you take them when they are picked...is there a minimum ammount required.......how much per kilo.....does it matter how long you have had them, i've still got last years knocking around, thanks

IP Logged

bruixa
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jan 31st, 2008 at 11:40pm
Print Post  
In my experience( I have been bringing in my carob crop for 3 years now) you can take last years as long as they are in good condition(still shiny) and not wet.  I take mine to the carob mill in Santa Barbara but you can take them along to some co-operativas. There is also the no questions asked of origin, cash at the weekend mill in Amposta. I am sure other people will add more info. I collect mine in the black tubs for ease of pouring into sacks and when I run otu of sacks take them to the mill. They weigh your vehicle you off load the carobs on the piles. They reweigh your vehicle and give you a ticket with the weight and that days prices(I have expereinced prices from 48 cents to 28 cents a kilo depending on the time of year and whether there is a glut that year) and when you are ready you cahs in your tickets and get your money. I have four hundred olives and 24 carob trees and I would cheerfully swap this ratio around. Carobs are easier. It cost me nothing to register at this mill all they wanted was my NIE and my escitura details. But this is the first I have heard of grants.

IP Logged

bruixa
Ex Member

Re: carob info
Reply #12 - Jan 31st, 2008 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
Darn, I forgot to say....Carobs are ready as they fall from September onwards and I recently asked the mill when the cutoff period was and was told as long as I had carobs bring them in. I once went with carobs they said were to wet and advised to take them home and spread them on the ground in the sun for a week to dry out a bit(they don't want to be paying for water) this worked fine. I hope this is useful.

IP Logged

bill and bob
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Feb 1st, 2008 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
thanks bruixa, i best start collecting. if anyone has further intake.....great.. oh by the way bruixa wheres the best place to get the sacks. thanks

IP Logged

pal-o-rhyme
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Feb 1st, 2008 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
We have 4 hectares of land and get a grant each year, go to the bank and ask them for a bit more info, not sure how much land you have to have. But the grant is around 1,000 euros each year so well worth getting if you can.  Yes they accept carobs all year round as long as they are dry, even if they are a bit moth eaten they still take them. There are 2 places to take them in Roquetes, both on the outskirts. Come through Raval de crist, go up to roundabout and turn right towards Roquetes, go past cemetary and a little way up on your left is carob place, for the other 1 go past the one on left to new roundabout take 2 nd exit to Roquetes, come to sharp right hand bend and it is on the left, he sells animal feed as well . Both take Almonds as well.
Happy garrofa picking Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top