Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Building and renovating (Read 3086 times)
warner31
Ex Member

Building and renovating
Mar 24th, 2007 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
Hello all
I have been looking at estate agent websites in the local area. I emailed one paticular one and the reply i got was a warning to think twice about buying in Catalunya.
She said there were many propblems with building and renovating laws and lots of people have had to demolish their homes or they have built illegally and would still try and sell their home to unsuspecting buyers.
She advised i look eslewhere for a property. She was very helpful and offered her services in a different area, but she obviously felt very strongly about it.
We are not actually looking to build a home but to buy an old property and renovate if needed. She also mentioned an Almacen and to be careful with those.
Any advice or help anyone can give on this subject would be welcome.
Many thanks
Charlotte

IP Logged

nobrot
Ex Member

Re: Building and renovating
Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2007 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
I'll bet my life the "different area" was Aragon......
If you ask the right questions to the right people,ie the local architects etc and stick to the rules,like in the UK you shouldn't have a problem.You can't build an extention in the UK without planning and if you do you will be required,at worst,to pull it down.The same,at worst, applies in Spain.
Use a respected and recommended estate agent and if ness.double check them with the users of this forum,most of us have been there and done that...Do lots of research and homework,there are loads of postings on this site related to building and renovating.

IP Logged

Debbie
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2007 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
Well said Nobrot, I was just going to post a reply almost saying exactly what you have said but you beat me to it. 

If you find an estate agent that you trust and I am more than happy to recomemend ours (please PM me for details) they will give you the releant building and renovation details.  Our agent has lived in the Tortosa area for quite a few years not the usual one or two that some agents seem to have only lived here and then claim to know everything.

Just be aware that, of course, you can't just build anything in Catuluna just as you can't in other areas or other countries.

Debbie Smiley

IP Logged

flintstones
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Mar 24th, 2007 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
Just like anywhere in the world, Catalunya has its rules about what you can and can't do.  But the dozens of estate agents in Tortosa all selling various sorts of properties succesfully, must be a good indicator of the fact that people are quite happily buying and selling in the area...from small fincas with no building whatsoever, to villas to flats and apartments.

Don't be put off...its a beautilful area....ask lots of questions...try to go and see properties with different agents, and get a solicitor to go through the paperwork before you buy.

Liz

IP Logged

Debbie
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Mar 24th, 2007 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
Well said Liz it is a beautiful part, we only holiday unlike alot of you who live there but everytime we come out we find somewhere new that is really lovely.

Like Liz says don't be put off and just do your research, many of us have bought places without any hassle and have been welcomed by our Catalan neighbours, even though we can't understand a word they say and they can't understand us either but we get  there  Grin Grin

Good luck

IP Logged

Pondgirl
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Mar 25th, 2007 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
Just wanted to add my agreement to the above comments.  We have bought a ruined flour mill and it took a year to get planning permission to rebuild and it will probably take another two to renovate but we are more than happy to take things poc a poc  Cool  We have done things totally by the book, using reputable estate agents, solicitors and architects and wouldn't dream of doing it any other way.

What you have to remember is that it is virtually impossible to build outside of a building's original 'footprint', so be very wary of anyone telling you that you can rebuild a little stone hut into the house of your dreams, however much land comes with it.

I would suggest that any estate agent that tells you that you shouldn't be buying in this area probably has an 'agenda' ie doesn't have any property that you would be interested in!! Wink

Take your time, nothing is ever done in a hurry here anyway, and hopefully something will come your way.

Penny

IP Logged

warner31
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Mar 27th, 2007 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
Hello
Thank you so much every one for your comments.
I feel much better now!
We are really looking forward to coming over to house hunt.
Thanks
Charlotte

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top