Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Generators/water tanks etc (Read 4756 times)
jools
Ex Member

Generators/water tanks etc
Jul 20th, 2007 at 2:11am
Print Post  
Hi all,

We had some Dutch clients over this week, and they were talking about buying all of their generators/solar panel/cisterna tanks etc. from the USA.

Because the dollar is so low against the pound and also the euro, apparently this is a good option, and many comapnies, it you search on the internet offer free or cheap shipping.

This has to be a good option for anyone whose Spanish or Catalan isn't up to scratch, as you can speak good old English to the yanks.

This is only hearsay obviously, personally i dont need either, as i have mains services, i like my creature comforts.

Hope this is useful to someone.
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2007 at 10:53am by »  

IP Logged

cactus jack
Global Moderator

If I agree with you, then
we would both be wrong

Re: Generators/water tanks etc
Reply #1 - Jul 23rd, 2007 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
I would check out if there is an import duty and vat to pay brfore ordering anything which has to be supplied from USA.
I came unstuck shipping in motorcycle parts from Florida which by the time I had paid all the duty and vat worked out at the same price I could have bought them 8 miles away from where I live in England.  As always check first when spending large sums of money.
Also when things go wrong or are damaged it is so much easier to deal with someone just down the road than someone the other side of the world.
Just my few pennies worth
Steve

Nostalgia is not what it used to be...

IP Logged

jools
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 24th, 2007 at 1:25am
Print Post  
Hi Cactus Jack.

Fair comment, not looked into anything like that, clients say this sort of thing, so we just pick it up in conversation.

Obviously, this needs more research, but unfortunately, i just dont have the time time.

Regards

Jools

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #3 - Jul 24th, 2007 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Also when things go wrong or are damaged it is so much easier to deal with someone just down the road than someone the other side of the world.

Generator bought in the UK - went BANG - shipping costs are more than the generator cost new!  And it was still under warranty - but shipping charges not included. If only it had been bought for a few extra euros in Spain!

Nigel

piston1.jpg (Attachment deleted)
IP Logged

Nobrot the Great
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 24th, 2007 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
Ahh,piston broke,I know the feeling.

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jul 24th, 2007 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
I don't think that Nigel is either pissed or broke.
Certainly I have never known him to be either.
Tony

IP Logged

philmountains

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Jul 25th, 2007 at 9:56am
Print Post  
Yep  Nigel that,s defainatly buggerd!!bearings,seals the list goes on ,but why dont  you pull the generator off and power it with another engine? got to be worth a try.
By the way I  bought a replacement piston & cylinder kit of ebay earlier this year for my Sthil chainsaw ,and to cut the sorry, I broke a ring fitting it ,no joy from ebay seller ,but goggled the manufacture down to India, who very kindly sent me 2 replacements for free!!!!! so dont give up just yet.
All the best to you all Wink
Phil Martin

IP Logged

roswell
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jul 25th, 2007 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Generator bought in the UK - went BANG - shipping costs are more than the generator cost new!  And it was still under warranty - but shipping charges not included. If only it had been bought for a few extra euros in Spain!

Nigel

It seems your con rod in no longer conning............

Beware a new generator scam that may be doing the rounds here, a bit like the speaker scam in the UK.

A few weeks ago someone local was approached by a genuine sounding guy with 3 generators to sell, story went they were bought for a building job and never used. He produced a brochure with price list and it appeared the 5.4kva generator was, something around a nice expensive E1500, so all 3, with all paperwork, for E700 was a bargain.

When I saw one, I noticed a flaw on the model stickers, funnily enough it came away with a little picking and amazingly underneath it said 2.2kva. It is, on closer inspection Chinese rubbish that struggles to power an electric toothbrush........even the 2.2kva rating is itself, rather too generous....

IP Logged

old nelson

The man in black

Reply #8 - Jul 25th, 2007 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
Nigel,
        I'm driving down late September from UK for a week or three fishing, if this generator part is under warranty, try to get it sent to me ,or, if it's not too far, I'll pick up and bring it down foc. Email me if you want my address.

Old Nelson.

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #9 - Jul 25th, 2007 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the offer but VERY fortunately I came across someone with a large empty van that was going back to the UK (and very close to where the generator came from!) and he took it back.  He's due back in September (just as well I'm not in desperate need of it!) and again with a van so transport has actually been sorted.

I did think about a different engine or a repair of the existing one but despite all my efforts (and an amount of swearing) I couldn't seperate the generator from the engine.

Nigel

IP Logged

Farway
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Aug 24th, 2007 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
Same problem . Generator packed-up BUT check if your model has a EU warrantee. Any company worth their salt , or should I say product , will cover you in the eu. The generator supplier (Advanced Diesel Engineering ) shrugged their shoulders and said it had nothing to do with them but the actual engine (Deutz) has a EU wide gaurantee for a certain period. We had our unit re-bored, new everything fitted here in Tortosa in a engineering workshop and it costed us nothing. The only thing I had to do was get in contact with Deutz head-Office and explain the problem and my location and they gave me their local office number and it got sorted from there.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top