Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
NIE number (Read 8546 times)
john_and_angela

NIE number
Aug 2nd, 2007 at 12:39am
Print Post  
Hi everyone
Does anyone know any other way to get your NIE number apart from queueing up outside the police station for hours in baking heat?
My sister is buying a place here and needs her NIE number. She has very limited time the next time she comes over.
thanks,
Angela

IP Logged

jools
Ex Member

Re: NIE number
Reply #1 - Aug 2nd, 2007 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
Hi Angela,

There is another way to get a NIE number quickly, although it is still a pain in the ar*e, and means a trip to Barcelona.
The only other way i know is to apply from the UK at a Spanish Consulate, but then it takes up to 12 weeks to receive the number.

Also remember that it is now August, so some of these official departments could well be closed for the holidays!

Step 1: Go to the police station (Paseo Juan de Borbón, 32) to pick up the tax form that you’ll eventually use to pay 6.70EUR at La Caixa bank. Ideally you’ve get this in advance as the police station only opens at 9am and you really need to start queuing (in step 2 below) from about 8am. The form is Modelo 790: (Centro Gestor – TASA: Reconocimientos, autorizaciones y concursos. Codigo 012).

Step 2: Go to Oficina de Extranjeros, Marqués de l'Argentera, 4, Porta 1 (next to Estació de Francia) as early as you can, but no later that 08:30am. Take a good book (2 hour wait), your passport (and a photocopy) and a pen (you’ll need to fill in the new NIE application forms that they hand out). I downloaded the application forms from the web but was told that they had only recently been updated, so best be careful if you plan filling them out in advance. You’ll walk out with a NIF number that the clerk will also write on your 6.70EUR tax form.

Step 3: Take the tax form to any branch of La Caixa bank and pay. There’s a branch on Paseo Juan de Borbón (on the way to police station, see step 4)

Step 4: Then walk to the police station  (Paseo Juan de Borbón, 32 – no more than 500m) and hand in the paperwork and they’ll print out a green A4 certificate with your new NIE number - Certificado de Registro de Ciudadano de la Union.

I hope this helps.

IP Logged

john_and_angela

Reply #2 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
thanks for that Jools
But where is the oficina de extranjeros?
Angela

IP Logged

jools
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 4th, 2007 at 12:07am
Print Post  
Angela,

The address is in section 2 of the instructions

Jools

IP Logged

Pondgirl
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 4th, 2007 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
You can apply in London, we did.

It takes time and they will only send the NIE to a Spanish address.

PG

IP Logged

john_and_angela

Reply #5 - Oct 16th, 2007 at 12:13am
Print Post  
This is just an enquiry to ask does anyone know if it is possible to get an NIE number at any police station?
My sister is staying in Salou and needs to get her NIE number. Can she get it in Salou or Reus? Anybody have any experience of this??

IP Logged

El_Alto

Dutch and Curious

Reply #6 - Oct 16th, 2007 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
You can get it at any officina de extranjeros. Here's a list with the opening hours:

http://www.policia.es/cnp/jsp/catalunya/dni/oficinas.htm

Hope this helps,
Mark

IP Logged

PaulH

the hills are alive

Reply #7 - Oct 17th, 2007 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
I think the queue is for work permits, I jumped queue & asked to apply for a NIE & a lady came out & checked documents (she spoke English) & then collected NIE 4-6 weeks later (again jump queue). You will need forms from her (fill them in there) & 2 copies of your passport, on the form it asks why you want a NIE, buying a property or car is enough.
Good luck Paul

IP Logged

terryandsandra
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Oct 17th, 2007 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
Apparently there is an office near the Cathedral in Tortosa that does NIE and Residencia's, its written on the doorway, a friend was told to go there after waiting hours at the police station, he said it took him 10 mins to renew his Residencia.
                                    Terry.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top