Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
catalan or spanish (Read 2084 times)
calyamy
Ex Member

catalan or spanish
Aug 4th, 2007 at 1:36am
Print Post  
Hi looking for advice what language should i concentrate on learning catalan or spanish. My husband has learnt spanish with Michael Thomas cd's but i was going to learn catalan along with my son as thats what language he needs for school but a comment on another post suggested catalan would be confusing if you don't know spanish so do i need to learn spanish first or should i start on catalan ?

IP Logged

jools
Ex Member

Re: catalan or spanish
Reply #1 - Aug 4th, 2007 at 10:52am
Print Post  
I have numerous Catalan friends with differing views on this subject. One is a freelance writer, who advised me to study Castellano (Spanish) because if you want to travel to other parts of Spain, or other Spanish speaking countries, they wont understand Catalan.

Another is a deputy head master at a school here, he strongly advises that if you have children in school, then you should learn Catalan so that you can converse with your child as he is learing the language, and support him with his studies as well.

Personally, i stayed with Spanish, although i can understand a lot of Catalan, but cant really speak it. Also depending on if you are planning to work here, we have a lot of Spanish speaking clients, so for me, Spanish is essential, Catalan is not, and i just dont have the time to study both languages, or have the space in my head either........lol

My Son's teacher's, and parent's of other kids, speak to me in Spanish, although all correspondance from school ie: letters, school reports are in Catalan.

It is much easier to find teaching aids in Spanish, books, CD's etc, but many of the local Ajuntament's (town halls) offer free Catalan classes to foreigners, but these didn't coincide with my own time table.

So i suppose the answer is, whatever is best for your own circumstances and life style, and how much time you can dedicate to either. One language is hard enough to learn for adults with busy lives, two is a mammouth under taking!

Hope this helps.

IP Logged

Huw
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 10th, 2007 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
As a teacher in a secondary school here in Roquetes I have to agree with the opinion that if you have kids in school then you ought to try to learn Catalan not Spanish.  It will help them a great deal more if you do.

Apart from that I think it depends what sort of person you are, as has been mentioned.  However when I say this I say it from the point of view that if you don't get out much locally and don't want to spend time in the local bar or at the local football club but do want to travel in the rest of spain then you ought to learn Spanish as it will be more useful.  But if you are local orientated and especially if you live in a small village and want to talk to the people living around you then go for catalan.

All locals can speak spanish the only ones who say they can't are catalan nationalists who just refuse to, however at any social occasion they will promise to speak in Spanish cos you are there and then switch back into Catalan after only two minutes of using spanish.  Here in the Baix Ebre Catalan IS the local language, much more than in Tarragona or up North.

IP Logged

Pondgirl
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 15th, 2007 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
I'd like to re-iterate what Huw has said.  We live in a small village (Mas de Barberans) where Catalan is the first language, although everyone seems to also speak Spanish.  People chatting in pubs, fiestas, outside our window and on the village loudspeaker system all use Catalan.  If we want to feel part of what is going on we have to understand what is being said, no question.  You have to decide: do you wnat to live here or really live here?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top