Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 When is a 'building' a 'house' (Read 10261 times)
AndyR
Ex Member

When is a 'building' a 'house'
Nov 6th, 2007 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
Hi All,
I am new to this forum - it's been very interesting to read and learn about local topics.

I am about to proceed with the purchase of a 15Ha finca in the Mora/Garcia area. On the land there is a small (2 bed) house and a large shed.

I am in email contact with a lawyer in Tarragona (who handled the previous sale of the finca).

I am trying to establish if the little house is legal as a dwelling. (I don't expect the shed to be anything other than a legal almacen.)

The lawyer has emailed :

"The two buildings were registered with an Archquitect's certificate confirming they were built more than six years ago (in 2003).
When the certificate was done, there was no ilegality on the buildings, so they were able to legalize.
For living in the buildings, they have to be habitable (bathroom, kitchen, rooms...).
For living in the biggest (shed), you should have to apply for permission from the Town Hall and refurbish it.
This can be complicated if in the same property there is a second house."

I have asked a couple more times 'is the small house legal to live in' but we seem to go round in circles...

Is there a more definite question I should ask to know for sure that I can legally live in the small house permanently?

Thanks
Andy
« Last Edit: Aug 2nd, 2008 at 12:55pm by Nigel »  

IP Logged

viking
Ex Member

Re: When is a 'building' a 'house'
Reply #1 - Nov 8th, 2007 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
Hi Andy,
From my own experience this is a complete minefield! I'm sorry to sound so pessimistic. If your solicitor cannot provide the information that is needed then perhaps you should think carefully about proceeding. If your house is not registered as a dwelling then presumably it will be classed as an almacen, ie. agricultural building? If this is the case then you are probably entering the minefield!! when I recently amended my deeds to include the old casita the notary made a point of telling me twice that the building was not for habitation and is an agricultural building. I already knew this and am using the land for agricultural purposes and not living on it.  There is quite alot of information on the forum about this issue and I imagine you have read this? I'm sure you will get some more replies! Houses that are fully legal and classed as dwellings will obviously command a much higher price so this is something to be aware of also. Alot depends on your particular situation and what you want to use the land for.
Best of luck.

IP Logged

El_Alto

Dutch and Curious

Reply #2 - Nov 8th, 2007 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
Hi Andy,

Ask the laywer for a copy of the nota simple (he must have one if he handled the previous sale). In the nota simple you will find a description of the buildings.

If he had the buildings legalized in 2003 there is not only made a certificate by an architect, but also a new escritura with the "declaration de obra nueva" to register the buildings in the registro de la propiedad. In this document there also is a description of the buildings.

Hope this helps,
Mark

IP Logged

Farway
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 9th, 2007 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
Yep, we have something similar. When we bought our place, the deeds had to show that there was a habitable house on the property as-well as it showed the two new almacens the previous owner build illegally. Result: House deeds that show a house and almacen where applicable. I helped a local office with planning permissions for a few months and there was a 5-year rule in certain case's. Now, I CANNOT BE QUOTED ON THIS  but if a building has been standing for 5 years or more, irrespective of what it is, it should, could,can become legall for the use it is at the time registration.

NOTE: A POSTING IN A FORUM WON'T STAND IN A COURT OF LAW

There is at times a fine involved at the most but my suggestion would be that if a property has a legal Almacen on, then that is half the battle won. No they don't like or allow you to convert, should they know, but at-least they cannot force you to convert back to more than an almacen so at least you won't lose all your cash should it go wrong. Its a gamble but with time can be overcome.

Hope that confuses the issue even more.

Cheers

IP Logged

Nobrot the Great
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 9th, 2007 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
We were told by one of  the hierarchy of the local village council that P/P would be needed to build a swimming pool,he then said however, just build it and should there be any forest fires then we could allow the bombadiers to use the water in it.....I'm sure with a bit of lateral thinking Spanish logic could prevail in other cases

IP Logged

AgentX
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 10th, 2007 at 11:24am
Print Post  
Hello all

As I understand it, the local authorities have six years to take action against an illegal building.

(Note that you can ask a local Ajuntament if there is any action pending, and they will answer in writing)

Once that period has expired, an owner can then take steps to have it 'legalized' and declare that it is a vivienda (ie. a dwelling).

In order to clarify exactly what it is he is buying, the poster of the original message can:

- Ask to see the Catastro information for the finca, if a house is registered as a vivienda it should appear there (although it can take time for any changes to appear)
- Ask to see the IBI rates receipt for the property. In the case of a dwelling on rural land, there should be two items, one for the land ('rústica') and one for the house ('urbana'). Again, any changes can take a while to filter through, but a call or visit to BASE (IBI rates collection agency) is usually enough to clarify any doubts.
- Asks the local Ajuntament the status of the house on the land.

Reading the Spanish abogado's comments, it strikes me that it may just be that his/her English is a bit imprecise...

Hope this helps.

AgentX

IP Logged

jools
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Nov 10th, 2007 at 11:57pm
Print Post  
At the end of the day, do most people really want to go though this maybe/cant/maybe can/is it an almacen/ or can we live in it/ or is it illegal/ legal................and before anyone says........Jools is selling property in Aragon where you can pretty much build what you want, we have more than enough clients who have done their own research before they get ripped off.

I have been there, as so have many people, where they have been told a "shit load" of lies, that you can build an "almacen" of 40 m2" then add on to it year on, year out, untill it has been ther for six years until it is legal...................six years is a long time to be looking over your shoudler, and believe me the authorities are getting more vigilant.......................ask the the people around the Gandesa area, where they follow every concrete mixer to see where it is going!!!!.   And i am sure this practise will continue to other areas.

I wouldn't want any one to go through what i did, read my blog from the beginning, i dont think i can post it on here, but if you send me a PM i will send you the link.

For Mercedes and me, my Spanish business partner, it is very interesting to see, just how many Catalan estate agents are now trying to sell properties over the border and in to Aragon, but they dont know the exact legal requirements as to how much land is required in each village to build. Most villages have their own little "quirky" rules and regulations.

For example, quite recently, we had a client from Barcelona, she was English, but spoke perfect Spanish, and is actually a translator for many large companies in Spain and the UK, she obviously thought she could buy a better deal direct from a local person in a bar. She purchased a finca near La Fresneda in the Matarrana region, it was 3 hectares, which exceeds any local requirements on land. But, what she didn't realise was the fact that it was in a protected area, and basically she couldn't build a garden shed, we could have told her that, but she didn't ask!

Just be careful out there.

If you are like me, and you are ploughing all your life savings/sale of a property in the UK/life pension or similar in to your Spanish dream, think twice and do your homework, and dont listen to what the estate agents tell you.

I await the negative feedback in anticipation.

Jools  
« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2007 at 1:45am by »  

IP Logged

AndyR
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Nov 13th, 2007 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
Hi Everyone

thanks for the very useful and helpful replies to my original question.

I did asked the solicitor

"...but is it legal to live in it? What do the deeds record the buildings as?"

and he replied

"It's legal if the building is legal and if it has the conditions for living in.
The Deed describes it as "edificación". It means a building, and it's described with two storeys."

I presume 'deed' always translates as 'Escritura'. If so it seems that a deed that simply lists a 'building' is not much better than listing an almacen.

thanks again
Andy

IP Logged

viking
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Nov 13th, 2007 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
Who is your solicitor working for? Yes, you have answered your own question. You are buying a building but as it currently stands it does not sound as if you can legally permanently live in it. Perhaps you would be better off approaching the local ajuntamiento responsible for your house and asking what the possibilities are? Has your solicitor checked that the finca is not in a protected area, such as a national park? If it is you should steer well clear.

IP Logged

Pondgirl
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Nov 14th, 2007 at 9:49am
Print Post  
I would have to echo viking's sentiments Andy.  Your solicitor is meant to be working for you and I presume you are paying him plenty for his work.   You say he  handled the 'previous sale of the finca'.  Does this mean that he is working for the vendor too?  If that is the case you could find a serious conflict of interest going on here.

If he cannot answer a straightforward enough question like "Will I be able to legally live in it" he either does not have a good enough knowledge of English and/or the law relating to property.  In either case wouldn't you be better off finding a solictor who can?

Just a thought.

Penny

IP Logged

AndyR
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Nov 15th, 2007 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
Just to clarify -

I want to determine the legal status of the 2 buldings before I pay any money (either to the vendor or the solicitor) - so I have not instructed  the solicitor yet.

I initially questioned the agent for some proof of what I am about to buy and he involved the solicitor (who handled the previous sale).

Another (private) message advised me that the buildings are probably legal (ie wont be knocked down) but this doesnt necessarily indicate you can legally live there 365 days a year.

Andy

IP Logged

Pondgirl
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Nov 15th, 2007 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
Andy, when we bought our property we made it a legal condition of purchase that planning permission was granted to restore before we paid up in full.  We paid a deposit which was refundable to us if the permission didn't go through.  It meant waiting a whole year whilst all the permissions were sorted out but it was worth it for our peace of mind. I don't know how important it is to you that it is a permanant habitation.  If it is important then it would be money well spent to actually instruct a reputable solicitor that speaks good English and understands implicitly your requirements.  If you make it a condition of purchase that the buildings must be legally habitable 365 days a year it should help focus everyone on giving you straight answers.

IP Logged

Huw
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Dec 6th, 2007 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
This looks like a total nightmare...

Just to add my bit, friends of mine who work in La Caixa have commented on this general theme that whilst up till now any building that had been built and not demolished by the council could indeed be legalised now the situation is one of zero tolerance.  Local councils may tolerate this and even give you the nod to go ahead with it but the final legalisation comes from Tarragona and they have apparently decided that after having completed all the POUM type plans around here nothing will get this legalisation from now on, even if the local council wants it.

YOu have to be so careful with all of this.  A non legal house whilst suitable for living has no legal standing in the event of the council building roads etc and also won't qualify for a mortgage if you want to re sell it and the buyers need one.

IP Logged

William of Orange
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Dec 6th, 2007 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
Ie been on this merry goround also, the more you dip your toes the muddier the water gets.
What seems to be common ground is as follows

1. 5 or 6 years seems the time line for action to be taken on illegal builds from a bulldozers point of view !
2. You can still be fined for an illeagal build after 5/6 years.
3. An legal Almacen will always always stay an Almacen. upgrades not posible to Casa Status sorry !
4. You may pay rates as a vivienda (home) but its still a blikin barn. ( My situation) BASE is quite happy to take your money.
5. Permissions for a new Casa in the countryside are not going to happen ! ( Quote from Spanish Solicitor)
6. Hundreds of thousands of Spanish People as well as us imigrants  live in there Almacens  all year round if it breaks any laws there are unlikely to enforce them and if as I heard some small town mayor or local police jobsworth have in the past a day away from home makes it OK again,
7. Tarragona is taking a much more central role and the tolerance gap for illegal builds is closing by each passing day, examples will be made of illegal builds in the near future.  IMHO
8. It is possible to take an illegal build over 6 years old and have it registered on the escurtura, but will cost a little.
9. I applied for an extension to my illegal  2 storey 100m2 but 14 yr old Almacen properly.... Architects Plans the lot. The  summary was from the adjuntamet.........It appears you already have a big barn why do you need an extension is it because you live in the Almacen and need another Almacen...(yeah busted) if so we think you need to apply for urbinisation ...... which included one of many thing a dinasour fossil survey of my land !
We popped this reply down to the local property solicitor and he summed it up .......DO WANT TO OPEN PANDORA,s BOX .I binned the application !   Cry

IP Logged

DebbieM
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Dec 26th, 2007 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
Hi Andy!

Yes, a minefield!
If you ve got cash to spare,go for it!
The laws regarding building here ,are so . . .
If you ve the spare cash , its worth the gamble!
An illegal build,with mortgage ,sold recently here in the Tortosa region.
Things are gonna change!
Good luck.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top