Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 10 Boat License (Read 24618 times)
hazelnut
Ex Member

Re: Boat License
Reply #15 - Oct 3rd, 2009 at 8:42am
Print Post  
And on a serious note you might find this link interesting:- Smiley

http://costa-brava-sailing.com/RYA-training-ICC-international-certificate-compet...

Courses Held at Barcelona so not far to go

IP Logged

ColinB
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Oct 9th, 2009 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
The  Int'l Certificate of Competence is not recognised by the Spanish if you are skippering a Spanish reg'd boat.  However, it is sufficient if your boat is British and SSR'd (and of course you have a VFH radio licence).  If you have a boat here and you have residencia then the wise thing to do is transfer ownership to a person (family member?) in UK, not forgetting to tell your insurer s (and having an ins. cert in their name plus a written permission from them for you to sail their boat).  There is absolutely nought against a UK resident having their boat here 12/12 months; the issue is the owner being skipper being resident.  Therefore, don't be.

The ICC is issued by the Royal Yachting Assoc and is based upon a series of theory and practical courses, instructions and exams.  They are all based on supporting a voluntary education/training program - unlike the French and Spanish mandatory approach - the RYA encourages further and on-going traing.  Support it if you can as it's the best scheme in europe and copied (oops, franchised)across the world.  There is a local RYA instructor/ examiner but he seems to keep a low profile.  Let me know if you want details.

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #17 - Oct 10th, 2009 at 9:54am
Print Post  
We phoned the Maritime Police in L'Ametlla to ask what the requirements were for foreigners who live here to use boats on the sea as there seems to be lots of confusion/mis information.

The following is what we were told:

You need to obtain authorization from the Capitain Maritime.
To do this you need to take (plus copies); passport, titles (RYA/ICC/ whatever)
You need to fill in a request form and (subject to qualifications etc) they will issue the necessary documents.

The number for the office is 977 240 955
The office is in Tarragona:

Capitanías marítimas.
Oficina Principal
Arranque Rompeolas, s/n
43071 - Tarragona
España

Nigel

IP Logged

ColinB
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Oct 11th, 2009 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
Enterprising as usual, thank you Nigel.  I'll get down there within the next 2 weeks and revert; I have never heard of this anywhere else in Spain so perhaps it's Catalan local - certainly none of the live-aboard or cruising fora (that I know of) have carried anything like this.

IP Logged

Malcolm
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Oct 14th, 2009 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
I guess that the RYA instructor/examiner comment is aimed at me (www.spanishsailing.com, www.sailingcoursesinspain.com). Didn't realise I kept a low profile Smiley Just don't seem to get much local demand for the courses I run. HOWEVER...

In response to this chain of questions we have done a bit of enquiring. Tarragona referred us to a Government bulletin that essentially says that any qualification appropriarte to the type of craft and use from another EU country will be accepted as part of a submission for a Spanish license. To this end, I am qualified to run a course in conjunction with International Yacht Training (www.iytworld.com) who are one of the other international schools. This course is approved by the MCA and is 2 days with a mixture of theory and practical.
Watch this space for some more details in the next few days...

IP Logged

Malcolm
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Oct 16th, 2009 at 9:10am
Print Post  
This 'Boat License' topic seems to have concentrated on what I would call skipper's license. Looking into this I can see no way of also needing a Certificado de Navigabilidad or a seaworthy certificate for the boat. For sub 6 mtere boats this is only required once i.e. no renewels fort e life of the boat. The list of equipment to be carried does not seem to be too daunting.

Can anyone comment on this requirement. I have no experience in this area as I had to commercially codify my boat.

IP Logged

spanishcatfishing

catfish guide

Reply #21 - Oct 16th, 2009 at 10:50am
Print Post  
Sorry to seem fussy but can we please have the British spelling of 'LICENCE' instead of the U.S spelling.
In our experience having only seen a sailing boat once on the Ebro, much of the Ebro is not navigable due to weed.

There used to be a catamaran based in Tortosa and with its low draft could get down to Amposta.  Between Amposta and Tortosa in the summer it can be unpassable, due to the river levels being very shallow and large areas of weed beds.

Tom & Mo
IP Logged

Malcolm
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Oct 16th, 2009 at 11:21am
Print Post  

Question was nothing to do with sailing boats and the navigability of the Ebro but rather whether people using <6 metre boats agree that a Certicado de Navigabilidad is an essential. Your opinion would be appreciated.   

PS, Thank you for the spelling lesson. Maybe we should use 'draught' then.  Smiley

IP Logged

John
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Feb 13th, 2011 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
I'm getting a bit lost here. The question was refering to getting a license to use a boat on the river NOT the Sea which is what the RYA is all about. Can anybody give a clear concise answer?

Many thanks,
John.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top