Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 8 Solar Panels Stolen...... (Read 6441 times)
roswell
Ex Member

8 Solar Panels Stolen......
Jan 19th, 2008 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
Hi All,

8 Solar panels have been stolen in the Burgar Valley [between Rasquera and ElPerello] just a few days ago.

4 x 150W and 4 x 175W of the much rarer new generation  were taken.

Large reward offered for the recovery or information leading to the culprits or about suspects. Sadly this is probably within the English community.

IP Logged

William of Orange
Ex Member

Re: 8 Solar Panels Stolen......
Reply #1 - Jan 20th, 2008 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
Roswell, sorry to hear of your loss,  Cry Ill keep my eyes and ears out for u , Check ebay regularly UK site I search for .....In Spain........ see if they turn up on there, I make custom mounts for people using 45mm 4mm think angle iron then used shear nuts to fix the panels,  then set the frame in concrete means an angle grinder is required to move them. HTH

IP Logged

Pondgirl
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 20th, 2008 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
The one thing that really gets me down about this country (area?) is the thieving.  Anything that we have left out on our finca has been stolen, including 2 generators, various tools, a barbecue, a back stretcher, wind chimes, a length of rope and an empty petrol can.

I was wondering about the safety of solar panels as that is how we will be powering our property.  We will be taking William's advice and also employing some of the killer dogs!

IP Logged

DebbieM
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jan 20th, 2008 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
Sadly.
Its  not the country ,or the area. Its the people who are now residing in it!!!!
Remember good old UK. If its not bolted down. . .
Unfortunately this rural community we we re living in, isn t so rural, anymore.

IP Logged

fatphil
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 20th, 2008 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
Speaking of theft's in the Perello area, we  have just noticed that two large wheels have been stolen from a horse cart in our barn.The thief obviously knew what he wanted, as he also removed the axle and brackets, by unbolting them properly.
Considering that it has laid in the barn for 40 years or more untouched, bit dissapointing.
Allthough it should be quite easy to see the wheels in use, as not too many horse and carts in use locally now !  (locally=very near I think)

IP Logged

fatphil
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jan 28th, 2008 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
May be of interest on ITV at 8'oclock UK time tonight ,programme about ex-pats being targetted by East Europeans.
Seems they have moved in land now, in search of easy targets ! Cry

IP Logged

Debs
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jan 29th, 2008 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
Hi Phil

What a shame!
Probably making a nice feature in someones garden by now, along with the solar panels, no doubt! Sad

IP Logged

frank
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Mar 2nd, 2008 at 7:53am
Print Post  
Reading about thefts in the area, we are wondering how safe it is as we are currently looking at buying a finca in the area of Raquera.  Should we expect break ins when we're away or even when we're asleep?  - This has been happening closer to Barcelona!  Just what is the general feeing regarding security?

IP Logged

Debbie
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Mar 2nd, 2008 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
Hi Frank
We have had a holiday home near Tortosa for four years now and (touch wood) we haven't had any problems.  Obviously everything is locked up when we are away and we are very lucky having fantastic friends who keep any eye on it as well as neighbours who have the plots either side.  I know that some people have been very unlucky and have been the victim of theft but that does happen everywhere.  Also if your property has grills on the windows and doors I think it deters any would be thieves.
Please don't let this put you off the area as it is lovely.

Debbie

IP Logged

Jislaaik
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
I think the motto, "use it or lose it" applies here in Spain. We had a generator, some electric garden tools and a portable metal sided pool stolen two years ago. We were not living on the finca at the time and this stuff was locked inside the mobile home. We had left the place alone for about two weeks (the only time it was left for that long) and hey presto we got robbed.

So be sensible. There are no guaruntees, but I have yet to hear of a lived in place being robbed! (Like what happens in South Africa - they will carry your bed off with you in it!)

IP Logged

Debs
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
Sorry to bring this thread up once again but . . .
I m interested to know, as to whether you were all insured?
If you were, did the company pay out, etc etc?
There was a debate recently on here, regarding house and contents insurance! Got a bit heated Lips Sealed
In your opinions. Is insurance, worth the money you pay for it?
If you didn t have insurance, why?
I promise not to mention iron bars and dangerous dogs again.
I m just interested in your opinions.

Thanx
Debs

IP Logged

sue100
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
About 18 months ago we got 4 solor panels damaged one very stormy night, in short the wind lifted the mounting from the roof and crashed it back down, pulling the panels out of their fixings and smashing some of the glass on the panels. Later that same night we got struck by lightening and all the electrical system fryed. We have buildings and content insurance with BBVA bank. I telephoned their claim line, spoke to a guy in English, who arranged for their assessor to come around the same day to check it all out, while asking us to get our solar engineer to ring them at once to discuss the replacement equipment. He was told to put an estimate of work and replacement equipment in, and the whole claim was settled and the system brought back upto speed within 3 weeks.

So should you have insurance - personally  would not leave home without. I was never asked if I have grills on the windows and i live on top of a mountain  Kiss

IP Logged

Debs
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Thanx Sue!

Perhaps you should enlighten all, with your insures details.
3 weeks is an exceptionally good service!
No bars on windows ,or dangerous dogs either! Nice one Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top