Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 MONEY (Read 4779 times)
old nelson

The man in black

MONEY
Mar 24th, 2008 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
Has anybody been affected by the exchange rate of the pound against the euro?
It has dropped 20% in just short of a year. I imagine that people who are being funded from UK at the moment are taking a big hit.

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Re: MONEY
Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2008 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
Tell me about it - my pension coming in is less and less every time.
Also not getting any enquiries from potential visitors as they are finding the exchange rate is taking holidays out of their reach at the present time.

IP Logged

jools
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 25th, 2008 at 1:57am
Print Post  
I suppose the exchange rate is "swings and roundabouts" depending on which side of the fence you are.

I am looking to import a decent 4x4, and have seen numerous Mitsubishi Shogun Sport Warriors, less than 4 years old, at around £8000, and if you use a decent commercial exchange bank, it's pennies over 10,000 euros.

For the same kind of money in Spain, you can only buy a 10 year old, hammered on fincas, kms around the 150K mark, wreck of a 4x4 for the same money!

OK, we know the second hand car market isn't big here, but for Godsake, what would you rather buy???????.......I know I will have to pay import tax/change of matriculation/Gestor fee's etc etc etc etc????????

On a positive note, for the girls, it is also good when we go shopping to the UK. ..................You have to drag me kicking and screaming out of M&S, Monsoon, Next, and even Matalan because the stuff seems so cheap with the favourable exchange rate if you live here.

My elder Son who was here on holiday recently, commented that you cannot go out for a basic meal with a bottle of wine for less than £50.

I know where I would rather be............dont get me wrong it's not paradise, we have to work/survive/live/learn another language/accept another culture/integrate.................I can go on forever, but if you have a reasonably positive attitude, your fine.......................and it could be the best or the worst decision you have ever made in your life.

Hi William of Orange...........hope you had a nice Easter, have sent you a PM

IP Logged

William of Orange
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Mar 25th, 2008 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
Jools nothing received in mail box since 16th Shocked

IP Logged

William of Orange
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Mar 25th, 2008 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
Some good data from USA hosing Market and Banking today may help a little in the current downward trend of Sterling  Smiley

IP Logged

ebrorob
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Mar 28th, 2008 at 9:56am
Print Post  
Quote:
Tell me about it - my pension coming in is less and less every time.
Also not getting any enquiries from potential visitors as they are finding the exchange rate is taking holidays out of their reach at the present time.

Tony,  you told me you & Nigel were the same age?  Shocked

IP Logged

Debs
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Mar 28th, 2008 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
I dont suppose I m even gonna get a pension ,at 41.
Enjoy what you have !!!!
This forum is full of miserable old gits, busy bodies and know it alls!
Come on guys, get a life!!!!!
Leave the UK c*** behind.
Live and let live!!!!!

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Mar 28th, 2008 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
I do enjoy what I have, but with the pound being in such a bad state it is becoming more and more difficult to live on a pension when you don't get any bookings for the accommodation, and at my age finding a job becomes more and more difficult, especially with the language problems.   Cry

Anyway Rob, this miserable old git is pleased to think that you thought I was the same age as Nigel.  If only !!

IP Logged

Debs
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Mar 28th, 2008 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
Tony.
Why sooo unhappy?
Perhaps a check with reality in the UK, might put you back in Spain, with a bump!
Dont complain, enjoy
Retire in the UK! Ummm,maybe not!
Its your choice. One you made before moving here!
Learn what you need to learn and die happy Smiley

IP Logged

old nelson

The man in black

Reply #9 - Mar 28th, 2008 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
Debs,
      try to forget and be tolerable about miserable old gits,busy bodies and know it alls, remember with age comes wisdom, and us of the older age have experience to fall back on, and before you say senile decay we have reached an age that you have not achieved yet!!  Did you say 41??
   Come on chill out!!
                                  Old nelson.

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Mar 29th, 2008 at 8:13am
Print Post  
Debs
Did I say I was unhappy - no.  Why do you think I retired to Spain - not only because I like it here, but also my small pension goes further.
But you seem to be very opinionated and unhelpful.
Why are you so concerned about not complaining about something which is illegal ?  It strikes me that the only people who would be so vehement about such a thing are those who have something to hide themselves !!
I also think that if you want to live amongst the ex-pats here, as well as the Spanish. that you need to make an effort to get along with them or you will find that they take the same attitude when you require some help and advice.

IP Logged

Debbie
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Mar 29th, 2008 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
The euro rate is a real pain at the moment, if you have a holiday rental I expect you will be already noticing that prospective holiday makers are going to think twice about holidaying in Europe.  And if you are hoping to sell your place its going to be harder at present but lets hope the rate gets better although I don't think that going to happen this year.

IP Logged

ebrorob
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Mar 29th, 2008 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
We have less bookings in the Casa P (our small holiday rental unit) ,compared to this time last year,we cater more for walkers & birdwatchers (mainly Brits) who tend to come here for mostly second holidays, so the exchange rate is obviously a suspect. In addition, i suppose people back home are also feeling the pinch from the massive price rises in for example gas & electricity bills & their holidays maybe are the first thing to be sacrificed.  At least in comparison our increases here in Spain were smaller this year. Viva Espana.
ebrorob

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top