Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 Vegtable Gardens ? (Read 13196 times)
William of Orange
Ex Member

Vegtable Gardens ?
Mar 25th, 2008 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
On the advice of billybob, starting a new life getting a fresh hobby  Tongue The missus and I have recently been setting off some seedlings ,Toms, Cumbers , Peppers, Onions, Sweet Corn..... so on and a few flowers , a mixture of Spanish  and English types . its our fisr year at this  , we intend to use raised beds and auto irrigation, has anyone had great success or dismal failure with their veggie plots , any tips, reccomendations on veg ,flowers to grow, would be nice. Im alright on the fertizlizer front as my Neighbour Marcello will be dropping 64 tonnes of the chicken blend in the next week or so for his orange groves which surrounds us.  Huh

IP Logged

Nobrot the Great
Ex Member

Re: Vegetable Gardens ?
Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2008 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
We are not exactly Tom and Barbara but we have been helping out some friends who are renovating their place and have a veg patch on the go. We have found that unless you put plenty of mulch, compost and your neighbours chicken stuff in the soil it can go rock hard after watering.

We've been told to plant seedlings not seeds and they should be well spaced out (as with pot plants...)
Failing that,grow goats.

Nobrots other half.

IP Logged

William of Orange
Ex Member

Re: Vegtable Gardens ?
Reply #2 - Mar 25th, 2008 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
Thanks N.O.H bit about the soil makes sense, I have a thresher mulcher munching machine so can do on that also, Im  hoping to get some quality top soil if it exists soon, were growing seedlings at the mo then pricking out into small pots  so they can stand half a chance when they hit terra firma, good advice ! anyone else ? Smiley

IP Logged

Debbie
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Mar 25th, 2008 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
Hi
I feel abit of a fraud putting a reply as our place is only a holiday retreat and everyone else is living in Catalonia and we don't have too much knowledge about gardening at our place although at this time of year our weeds are fantastic!!!  Anyway have found this website which might give a little bit of info        www.gardeninginspain.com.
We are hoping to set up a watering system for when we are away so I will be requesting some advise at some point if anyone else has done this.
Debbie

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #4 - Mar 26th, 2008 at 12:16am
Print Post  
I've been growing veg here pretty much for the last 3 years. Chicken manure can be a bit too rich at times - you need to leave it for a year (so I'm told!). On the other hand, rabbit manure can be used immediately. 

You can buy seedlings from the indoor market in Tortosa (2 stalls sell them) - they are spanish varieties so well suited to the climate - I've tried some english varieties with poor success. Prices are very reasonable - a few cents each for lettuice, peppers aubergines etc. A large bunch of onions (normally around 150 ish) costs around a cent per plant. Hardly seems worth raising from seed!

I had little success with english runner beans or melons, but good success with chillies, peppers, swede, cucumber, potatoes, raddish, marrow, aubergines, carrots and many other things (English strawberries do well if you can get them established).  I'm currently experimenting with rhubarb grown from seed - so far looks promising, just have to see how they cope with the summer heat.

You can get 2 growing seasons here if you time things right - spring and autumn.

Best tip, keep an eye out for what the locals are planting and what seedlings are being sold in the market. Also, if you really want to raise from seed, Lidl sell various seeds at reasonable prices.

Nigel

IP Logged

William of Orange
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Mar 26th, 2008 at 12:39am
Print Post  
Thanks Deb bookmarked that  Wink

Nigel I havent visited Tortosa Indoor Market, now on the to visit list , maybe tomorrow, I also heard from local friends who ha ve struggled with peas and beans .also,  Asked my dad about fertilizer he  told me about the Chicken stuff also,.......  a definite no no for carrots apparently, funny enough Ive bought some seeds from Lidl but the only strange thing is Tortosa stocked them Amposta and Vinaros Lidl didnt up to press.

Again thanks for all replies knowledge is sucess  Wink

Keep them coming !

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #6 - Mar 26th, 2008 at 7:45am
Print Post  
No real problems with peas - bought the seed from Lidl last year and this. Only problem I had last year with them was the goat escaped and ate most of them Sad  This year no goat! Peas went in about 3 weeks ago and are growing like crazy at the moment.

I'm trying runner beans again - planted them in pots and kept them indoors and they grew like mad. I transplanted them to the garden and they pretty much stopped growing Sad Not sure if it's temperature or what.. anyone help?

The other problem to bear in mind is the wind. Try and plant in sheltered areas or you may find the wind will whip the plants around and break the stems!

Maybe we should create a planting calendar?  The locals plant their potatoes around the middle of february for the first crop and then in october for the second crop (for anyone who wants to know).

Nigel

IP Logged

authorannie
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Mar 26th, 2008 at 10:06am
Print Post  
The website you given is really good - thanks for that!  I'm experimenting with various things too, my problem is, back in UK I could kill any plant without really trying, so over here, very pleased when something does grow!  To reinforce, watch what the locals do and buy seedlings at Tortosa market.  That's what I've done this year and it seems to be working to some extent.  (As much as my black fingers can achieve!)

A good book I got from Amazon is "Gardening in Spain" by Marcelle Pitt, it gives a pretty good guide of what to plant, when.

Is anyone interested in setting up a gardening circle or club?  Thought it might be a good idea to get together occasionally and swap ideas, seeds, plants, books, tips etc. etc., We could take it in turns perhaps to be host, or find a place to meet.  If anyone is interested, drop me an email and we could try to set up a get together.

IP Logged

bill and bob
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Mar 26th, 2008 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
Will of Orange, good on you, nice to see you have a good sense of humour. good luck with the veggy growing, growing a few veg myself, did quite well last year so hopefully better this year. water, water, water but watch out for those snails. Grin oh by the way, i work till the early hours, and like a drink myself when i get in  Wink

IP Logged

William of Orange
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Mar 29th, 2008 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
Popped into the  Tortosa indoor market on Friday, got a few bits and bobs, only one of the stalls was open, the lady who was selling veg also, the other stall had alot more plants but was closed, do I take it the variety of seedlings changes through out the year as planting requirements change.

Thanks for leting me know
PS I bought some seeds they were between 2 and 3 euros a packet  (box in case of peas) not cheap but enough in each to sow a full field  or two,  Cool

IP Logged

Nobrot the Great
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Mar 29th, 2008 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
Bill,
Try the woman with the purple hair outside the market by the river (saturday and mondays).She does a great line in healthy trees and a few pot planted herbs.We've just planted a small orchard of cherries,oranges,lemon,lime,grapefruit and peach trees from her and if she hasn't got them she will get them

IP Logged

William of Orange
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Mar 29th, 2008 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
NTG, cheers for that but Im OK on the citrus tree front we are not a million miles away from a very large company called Viveros Alcanar there on the road from Ulldecona to Vinaros KM 7 a massive company which does all the citrus trees, not cherry just citrus, most of the farmers use them, a tree about 4ft in a cloth root bag are 5 euros or a potted one slightly bigger in a 10inch pot are 10 euros each, there online at [deleted re forum rules]. Not veg I know but worth the visit if your buying a few for a new orchard!

PS the woman with the purple hair.........thats about 20% of all the Spainish Ladies  Grin what is the new colour for 2008 ? Cool
« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2008 at 1:08am by Nigel »  

IP Logged

Nobrot the Great
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Mar 30th, 2008 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
Thanks Bill
I know the place.
On the hair front,Burgundy,this years purple.

IP Logged

nen
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Mar 31st, 2008 at 11:29am
Print Post  
Quote:
Bill,
Try the woman with the purple hair outside the market by the river (saturday and mondays).She does a great line in healthy trees and a few pot planted herbs.We've just planted a small orchard of cherries,oranges,lemon,lime,grapefruit and peach trees from her and if she hasn't got them she will get them

hi dose she have olive tree too Smiley

IP Logged

Nobrot the Great
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Mar 31st, 2008 at 11:48am
Print Post  
Hi Nen
Yes she has olive trees,they are basically small saplings.If you want something larger and more established there are plenty of growers/garden centres along the n340 toward Vinaros and the other way to L'ampolla,there are also a couple of commercial growers between Mora and Miravet to name but a few places.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top