Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
watering vegies (Read 3727 times)
PaulH

the hills are alive

watering vegies
Mar 31st, 2008 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
Hi gardeners
If I were to water my vegie patch with the shower water do you think they'd taste of soap? I think could maybe could get away with it but if I used washing machine water then surely it would taste bad (but might have pleasant smelling breath tho)

Paul

IP Logged

Nobrot the Great
Ex Member

Re: watering vegies
Reply #1 - Apr 1st, 2008 at 9:43am
Print Post  
I have read somewere that shower and washing machine  water is OK for most plants(we use it) but the chemicals in the soap can inhibit fruit growth on toms,peppers,aubergines etc( it is probably worth checking up on that though).I woudn't have thought the dirty water would taint the flavour after all farmers spray cow,chicken and horse muck on the fields.

IP Logged

William of Orange
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Apr 1st, 2008 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
Hi Paul, Ive looked in to grey water use and its all about distribution of the greywater to suitable plants and trees at suitable levels. There is really only one book on the subject which I bought and own the link follows for Amazon.com although I bought mine direct from the authors website.

http://www.amazon.com/New-Create-Oasis-Greywater-Choosing/dp/0964343398/ref=pd_b...

This guy knows his stuff and it pays to get it early in your finca renovation as the most important comodity for installing a simple and cheap branched grey water distribution system is the fall of your land, ie gradient.  He doesnt waste  your money on fancy systems and contraptions and although a little tedious at times its an excellent practical book. It will answer all your questions. PS My copy is not for sale.WoO. I hope this helps  Smiley

IP Logged

William of Orange
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Apr 1st, 2008 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
Nobbys remark is also spot on, as  grey water from washing machine and showers contain high phosphate levels which encourage lucious leaf growth but can subdue flowering and thus friut growth. Hence the need to usually direct large amounts of grey water to suitable large trees  using the brached drain system so as to not overpower them. and fail to fruit ! .

All learnt from the book  Wink

IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 15th, 2008 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
Make sure you put in a grease trap if you are thinking of using kitchen waste water, and don't put your washing machine or sink water down your septic tank as it will kill the bugs and then your bio digestor tank won't work properly

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top