Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
oxygenated Pond Plants (Read 5501 times)
MelanieW
Ex Member

oxygenated Pond Plants
Apr 3rd, 2008 at 11:51am
Print Post  
Hello everyone im new on the forume have been living in spain for 3 years now, have just dug out a really big pond with my dad and am looking for plants to go in preferably oxygen plants as i want cover for some fish, all i have at the moment is irises in the water hope some one can help, i want to make it as natural as possible.
Thank you mel

IP Logged

Nobrot the Great
Ex Member

Re: oxygenated Pond Plants
Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2008 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
Irises are good for a pond so are bullrushes and lilies and any other rhizomed plant,ie plants that spread via a thick underground(water) root.They are all heavy feeders and will keep the water clear once they are established,they do however,tend to take over and need keeping in check.They are planted in 'green' septic tanks where they can,if managed properly,clean the water to a usable condition.
Oxygenating plants,pond weed in general absorbs  sunlight and gives off oxygen,a must for all aquatic life,Try not to introduce wild weed from rivers etc as it could contain eggs or larvae of undesirables which if not in kept in check could wreck the balance of a pond.A tip,if it's not to late,is to dig the sides quite deep,this will keep wading feeders,herons and egrets etc out of the water.It won't stop them having a look though.

IP Logged

MelanieW
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Apr 6th, 2008 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
Thanks for that i have already dug and lined and filled up the pond but thats really usefull information, but do you know were i can get hold of pond plants
Thank you mel  Undecided

IP Logged

roswell
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Apr 6th, 2008 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Thanks for that i have already dug and lined and filled up the pond but thats really usefull information, but do you know were i can get hold of pond plants
Thank you mel  Undecided

El Mola just outside L'Ampolla [to the north, take the old El Perello road] is one of the best garden centers around anyway and the only one I can remember seeing pond plants for sale in. Look to the left of the greenhouses just down from the sales hut.

IP Logged

MelanieW
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Apr 6th, 2008 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
Hi
yer i already tryed el mollo garden center they have a few lillys at the moment but no oxygenated plant, thanks anyway

IP Logged

billybob
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Apr 7th, 2008 at 12:27am
Print Post  
can you give me some directions for this one   thanks

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Apr 7th, 2008 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
There is a garden centre on N340 on the right leaving Amposta in the direction of Vinaros.  I don't know what their name is, but I got pond plants from there.

IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Aug 15th, 2008 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
Do you want any fish we have hundreds of mullet in our balsa all have to go

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top