Nosocks

IP Logged

El_Alto

Dutch and Curious

Re: GOOD TO BE BACK
Reply #2 - Apr 22nd, 2008 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
Hi Nosocks, it seems your message is approved  Wink

I'm very glad the forum is online again. It really is a nice information source for the tortosa area and several forum users helped me a lot with their experiences. You can't run a serious forum on the internet without moderation. And if everyone just keep in mind that we are on this forum to help eachother with information and not to fight out opinions I don't think there is much to moderate.

Mark

IP Logged

jools
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Apr 22nd, 2008 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
BLIMEY................THE FORUM'S BACK ON LINE!!!!

I was still logged on from over 2 weeks ago when the plug was pulled, there's a thing.

Does anyone know why it's been off line? or is there an explanation?

Mark, is this for real that posts will be heavily censored/monitored, when did Franco come back from the dead then??

IP Logged

El_Alto

Dutch and Curious

Reply #4 - Apr 22nd, 2008 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
Hi Jools,

I thought it was a joke from Nosocks, but it seems the moderation-message was from Nigel. You can only see your own posts until it is moderated (and then the other forum users can see it). That really is heavy moderation indeed Huh

Mark

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #5 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 8:47am
Print Post  
The future of the forum was in doubt for a while.  I only decided to reactivate it as a few members emailed me expressing their regret that it was no longer available and that they found some of the information contained both informative and enjoyable to read.

Unfortunately it has become necessary to introduce extra moderation as a result of some of the posts that were appearing on certain threads.  They were in direct violation of the rules of the forum (everyone has a copy and they are freely available to read). I would prefer not to have to do this but when common decency and respect go out the window it becomes necessary to clamp down and put restrictions in place.

The forum is intended to be informative and interesting, not a place to use for verbally attacking other people.  I'm sure you will find that most, if not all, publically available media reserve the right to modify/censor anything that they publish.  This forum is no different from that. Just because someone has the anonymity of the internet does not give them the right to post offensive, critical material.

I hope I don't have to moderate too many posts, I would prefer that people think about the content of their posting before they post it, then it won't be necessary.

I'm sure those of you who were following some of the recent posts will appreciate and understand the reasons this has been done.

Nigel

IP Logged

El_Alto

Dutch and Curious

Reply #6 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
Hi Nigel,

I also discovered I can't PM anymore due to some new rule (a message from the forum told me I must at least have 100 posts before you can PM !!!!!).

Not only I don't see a link with the moderation but also my postings-counter is stuck on 18 for a long time now (watch this thread, three posts and not counting them).

Mark

IP Logged

William of Orange
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Apr 24th, 2008 at 1:01am
Print Post  
Nigel Moderation is allowing people to express a view if and when it transgressers forum rules then moderators come to the floor edit remove and explain to us the great unwashed as why..... do I take it that now that every post goes b4 you for editoring,,,, sos if so why did you reopen....a one man band lining his own wallet on his own little website, Ive been made aware of a new forum havent joined yet hoping TF would pull it members together seems you are falling apart a bit like the a Zimbabwe, smellthe shit you are shovelling !

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #8 - Apr 24th, 2008 at 2:17am
Print Post  
Never had a problem with letting people express their opinions, it's actually been very rare that I have removed any posts.

Unfortunately a spate of posts along the lines of 'so and so's filth mouth' or similar, plus blatant breaking of the advertising rules (they are available and are sent to everyone who registers), flooding all the topics with the same post.. what would you do? Allow a free for all for all and sundry to slag anyone off they felt like?  Come on, what sort of impression of the English ex-pat community is that going to give anyone looking at the area?  I can't be on line checking the forum 24x7 - I have a life outside that.  In the 3+ years the forum has been running I have asked for help in running it, but it has NEVER been forthcoming - sure, criticise me for running it myself, but when nobody else is interested, what am I supposed to do??  I've now (at last) had one offer of help, and I've asked someone else (no offer was forthcoming, but I'm hoping they will accept).  I really don't want the job, and I'm happy for someone else to do it. If their help is forthcoming I'll happily remove the restriction on posting.

In terms of lining my wallet, HAH, big joke... take a look at how many advertisers there are, hardly pays for the running of the site and a menu del dia - I wish!!!

If there's a new forum, good luck, there was a forum before this (it still exists, the last post being in August 2007) I'm sure there will be forums after. Maybe they'll allow a free for all, free advertising both commercial and private, and be happy for members to slag each other off and create a wonderful impression of the area... maybe I'll join up - there's a few things I'd love to post...

IP Logged

nen
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Apr 24th, 2008 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
this forum is now like a dead duck.everytime i come on here i am on my own.anyone know of more forums we can go look at and express our feelings Undecided  

IP Logged

fatphil
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Apr 24th, 2008 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
Nightowl, that was a bit forthright, but similar to what I was thinking, but did not dare to post, incase I got deleted/ sensored !
My personnel opinion, is that if we are only allowed to post the nice airey fairey things its going to become very boring and people will just become lurkers, and the forum will stagnate.

IP Logged

munkonminor

Reply #11 - Apr 24th, 2008 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
"a one man band lining his own wallet"
Seems a little harsh coming from someone how has often flogged his wares on this forum !

As Nigel has said, forums will come and go, my experience of others is that they eventually get inhabited by a band of moaners and groaners who do not appreciate the service provided, maybe this short interlude will means that we can get back to sharing info that if use to each other without slagging each other off, hopefully with some new members with less jaundiced views.

IP Logged

nen
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Apr 24th, 2008 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
Angrynow it has got passed a joke Shockedcome on nigel its so boring on here we may all leave and not come back

IP Logged

Debbie
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Apr 24th, 2008 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
Nen

A lot of people became 'lurkers' before the forum was suspended  because they were concerned about the amount of venomous backlash that was going on.  It’s going to take a bit of time to get back to usual and please let all try to be supportive and compassionate rather than using the forum as a means to slag everyone off.    

IP Logged

jackflorrie1
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Apr 24th, 2008 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
nigel i would be glad to help in any way poss with the running of the forum i used the forum 4 8 months as a different user in england and found it very informative only been livin here since dec and still find its all good info it has introduced  me new to lots of new people and made me many new friends let me know if i can help in anyway

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top