Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
freeview box (Read 2537 times)
kennymack
Ex Member

freeview box
Jun 1st, 2008 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
We have a Daewoo setpal box we brought from the U.K.,tried to install it here and just get a no signal being received message,is it possible to use it here?what would we have to do with it to make it work?
We have sky t.v. and would like to link all rooms with u.k.t.v.

Thanks

Kenny.

IP Logged

William of Orange
Ex Member

Re: freeview box
Reply #1 - Jun 1st, 2008 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
Kenny if your free to view system relies on an airial then its no good in Spain. There is a free satellite view system which can be obtained using a satellite dish and crrect decoder, I think the system is called FTA (Free to air). Otherwise Sky is the only option but if you have the card ford sky no subscription you get all ther main terrestial channels including BBC1234 ITV1234 Channel 4 E4 and more 4 Channel 5 and many more. 

Nigel forum owner is the expert I believe on this stuff HTH. WoO

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2008 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
The setpal box is a free to air digital TERRESTRIAL receiver, also known as FTA (free to air) and Freeview.  Depending where you are you may get the Spanish digital channels on it (I'm fairly sure the digital standard has been adopted throughout Europe, unlike the analogue standards). You'll need a conventional TV aerial pointing in the right direction to receive the channels.  You won't get anything in English though, except when they broadcast films in dual language and English is one of them!

For UK channels you have 2 choices, SKY or Freesat. Both use the same cluster of satellites at 28.8E and for decent reception you'll need a 1.2 meter dish.

If what you want is UK tv channels in all rooms you will have to have a satellite system. You have a few options;
1. Use a multiple output LNB on your satellite dish and run a cable to a Freesat receiver in each room. This lets each receiver tune to its own channel and you can watch what you want in each room.
2. Get a video transmitter and receiver(s) and plug it into your Sky box. You can have as many receivers as you want - and they're wireless so no cables. Everyone will then be watching the same channel.
3. Cable, in coaxial cable, from the main box to each room and plug the TV's into the cable - you may need an amplifier to boost the signal.  Again, all tv's will see the same program.

The channels on freesat are pretty much as WoO says and you can find a list of them in many places on the internet.

Nigel

IP Logged

kennymack
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 15th, 2008 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
Many thanks William and Nigel,sorry its taken so long to acknowledge your replies,im not being rude,just connection problems with both phone and internet,
Anyway,ive looked for freesat decoders,and the only thing i can see is terrestrial boxes,im a dinosaur when it comes to these things,so if someone could point me to where i can get a free to air decoder id be grateful?
Thanks again guys.

Kenny.

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #4 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I'm fairly sure the digital standard has been adopted throughout Europe, unlike the analogue standards

I just insalled a digital terrestrial system today where the owner had a UK freeview box and I can confirm that yes, they do work. Around the Tortosa area from Coll D'Alba they are transmitting around 40 channels in digital format.  Analogue is due to be switched off here around december 2009.

Nigel

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top