Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Els Reguers restaurants (Read 8024 times)
ebrorob
Ex Member

Els Reguers restaurants
Jul 19th, 2008 at 11:39am
Print Post  
Hi all
Well not quite a report about eating at, more about what's going on at.
Here in good old Els Reguers, we are already blessed with 2 Michelin guided resaurants, the Calau and Panxampla.  However, in August, a new restaurant will open in the village square on the site of the Spar shop.  It will be a smaller resaurant than the above and having had a quick chat with the chef, it will be Catalan fare.  It's the same cuisine that you will find in the restaurant near the top of Mont Caro (the owners are the same).
In addition, for those of you that know the Bar Contrast, this Sunday will see a change of ownership to a couple of longstanding Reguers residents who, we are told will be bringing the restaurant side of the business back to a more a la carta style rather than the current cafeteria type fare.  The bar will be closed for a couple of days to allow for painting/cleaning etc.
Rob  Smiley

IP Logged

ebrorob
Ex Member

Re: Els Reguers restaurants
Reply #1 - Aug 3rd, 2008 at 11:44am
Print Post  
Quick update to the above.The Contrast has had a bit more TLC than expected & is due to open very soon.Also the Restaurant on the site of the old Spar shop,should open by the end of August & i hear are applying for permission to have some tables & chairs positioned in the square itself.
Rob  Smiley

IP Logged

ebrorob
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2008 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
Me again folks
Another update.  The bar/restaurant Contrast has now opened.  Not had a chance to pop in but will try the food as soon as.  However went to the offical opening by the mayoress, of the new restaurant in the square, which is called 'Susana' on Wednesday.  They supplied free food and drinks.  Surprisingly the whole village turned out!
Will be eating there on Saturday so will give feedback.  They have an english member of staff who speaks fluent catalan and spanish.
Rob  Tongue

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 14th, 2008 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the late info' about the freebies, Rob !!

IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 14th, 2008 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
We must give that one a try Rob

IP Logged

ebrorob
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Aug 16th, 2008 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Thanks for the late info' about the freebies, Rob !!

Sorry Tony only found out about it on the night! Anyway just off to visit the Contrast & then into "Susana's" for a bite to eat.I know its a hard life,but somebodys got to do it!
Wink

IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Aug 17th, 2008 at 10:16am
Print Post  
Well come on then Rob! what was your meal like then, or was it such a late night, you are not up yet

Stuart

IP Logged

ebrorob
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Aug 19th, 2008 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
OK Stuart, calm down, calm down! and I will begin.
I can report that the Contrast has been tastefully redecorated and now looks nice and clean. Only had some drinks there but they were keen to give you a free portion of nuts or olives.  They have a separate smoking area for people who want to have a puff with their meal and the main restaurant area is therefore in the large bar area.  I intend to have a menu del dia some time in the future and will report back.
Now Susana's restaurant (Its in the village square).  Well, I was told they had been extremely busy for the days leading up to last Saturday and you could see that from the staff's fatigue, (they had been open for the last 3 nights till 2 am as Reguers was in fiesta mode) so we found that they had a limited menu based on what was left in the larder.  We had to start, selection of meats and cheeses with the traditional bread with olive oil and tomato. Very nice salad with excellent dressing (it was dark and going towards the soy sauce direction). Also prawns in a nice marinade.  For the main dish we had steak which was cooked as I requested. (I don't like anything that has just been shown the flame and is blue and moves on your plate) with the normal small portion of veg and a very tasty potatoey/oniony splodge. Plus ice cream and coffees. The Saturday night menu cost us €25 euros each (inc of wine).  There were 4 of us and we all had enough to eat. The lighting i found to be a bit on the bright side,although the chairs were extra comfy. I think they were trying also to put too many tables into the available space.You can also sit outside,but for drinks only.  The British waitress served us well and will be an asset to those who cannot speak spanish.
All in all enjoyed the meal and I think they will go from strength to strength.
Will eat there again in the near future when things have obviously calmed down.
Rob  Smiley
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2008 at 5:56pm by »  

IP Logged

Dusty
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Aug 19th, 2008 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
Tried Susanna's on the friday opening week - food OK but it was obvious they struggled with too few staff and too many tables. Food was interesting but will wait some time before returning when teething troubles have settled down.

IP Logged

ebrorob
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
Good points Dusty,i think both the Contrast & Susana's need to get there act together,not just perhaps  food wise,but from a staffing point of view as well (I am sure this will happen in the future).Had "Menu del dia" at the Contrast today and as they are using young staff with obviously no catering experience,you had much longer waits between courses than you should expect,this i base on eating at many other local restaurants.(would have been even longer if we had not had to ask for our next course each time).Although i assume the very large groups of construction workers these local restaurants seem to have each day may be welcomed,i am sure equally they can be a strain on their small staff numbers. Food was ok,but i will make sure i give them many more months under their belt before i eat there again.
Rob  Sad

IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
Thanks Rob

I think we will give it a few weeks before we try susannas and let them settle in,

One thing I do find about Spain in general, is that the staff have no sense of service!! especially the Kontrast, I have been sat in the bar there for 10 minutes, with 4 staff chatting at the other end of the bar, Happily ignoring a paying customer, If they had any serious english competition they would be dead in the water, If i go into any of the bars run by my children in the UK, the bar staff are up like a shot to serve you, they also clock when you have nearly run out of your drink, and ask if you would like another, in Spain you have to fight to get noticed for the next course or round in order to get served and even worse, the bill, you would think they would take notice then but Noooo, you even have to fight to Pay

Is It Mee

And no I won't shut up, its about time more people added to the forum instead of grumbling about you behind you back

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top