Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Name and Shame (Read 5735 times)
hazelnut
Ex Member

Name and Shame
Aug 16th, 2008 at 8:31am
Print Post  
Hi all at TF

Is it me!! what I find most unusual here in Spain is the number of people, ready to rip off their fellow ex-pat.
Builders doing shoddy work and in some instances not even finishing a job and running off with the money, people suppling goods that last 5 mins before breaking down, and generally overcharging for work and yet when you ask the victims, they will never tell you, who did the dirty deed, surely if the perpetrators were named and shamed, less Newbies would get ripped off, or is that me being naive,
And I don't mean posting a list of rip off merchants on the TF it would get blocked I think, just word of mouth!
Wouldn't it be nice if the ex-pat community helped each other out, rather than, scamming every Newbie to the area, Just a thought!, we would be living in a better place

IP Logged

Pondgirl
Ex Member

Re: Name and Shame
Reply #1 - Aug 16th, 2008 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
If I were ripped off by anyone I certainly wouldn't keep quiet about it.  There are plenty of people out there giving bad/ignorant advice and doing highly sub-standard work.  If I thought that anyone that I knew was going to employ them I would say something, certainly. 

Who are these people who say nothing and why are they helping to perpetuate scams bad karma?  Oh no, you obviously can't name them  Grin

IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 16th, 2008 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
I could name em but whats the point if they wont grass up the original scammers, fortunately we haven't had any bad experiences so far, but then we are very careful, no one gets paid till the jobs done, why should it be any different from england, I don't mind paying for materials up front, but I get as good a discount at Mayors as most builders do so I can control that, then its just labour, I like to pay that by the day, then the builders are happy

IP Logged

jools
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2008 at 2:32am
Print Post  
Hi Pondgirl,

My sentiments entirely............I have just had a fantastic job done by a Dutch guy called Peter, he has renovated a large garden/patio which used to be a 2 storey chicken house.

I would recommend him to anyone, and his prices are done on the complete job, not a daily rate, so you know exactly what you are paying out.

If this is taken off the forum, I think it's very unfair, because I am literally recommending a guy on the quality of his work, and let's face it bad news travels faster than good, so lets have a bit of positive stuff going out off this forum for a change.

Jools
« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2008 at 2:56pm by Nigel »  

IP Logged

nen
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 18th, 2008 at 9:03am
Print Post  
hi i can recommend a good person too
« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2008 at 2:56pm by Nigel »  

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #5 - Aug 18th, 2008 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
Name and Shame - well I'm sure this would open a legal can of worms!  Check out the UK Trading standards website - they don't do it and probably for good reason! I think this is a very very dangerous topic to get into.. best advice is if you know of a dodgy person then tell your friends etc.  BUT remember people will always do what they want:

Here is a true example...
Mr and Mrs Z came to Tortosa
They liked the area so much they decided to buy somewhere - it needs a lot of work doing..
A 'friend' (a fisherman, not a builder) offered to do the work for them
They wisely asked several friends what they thought of this person and his work..
All, without exception, said NO!!!
They employed him as they said he seemed 'such a nice person'....

I'm waiting to here more... remember the saying 'you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink' ?
Personally I've given up wasting my breath giving advice unless it's asked for....

Here we go again....advertising..
Ok, again, advertising is advertising, be it by recommendation or 'self recommendation'

From another forum (can't remember which one...) the rules state:

'Please don't post recommendations as they will be deleted. If you feel someone is worth recommending to others then suggest that they advertise on the forum.'

Look on the left hand side... see the 'Directory'? This is for paid adverts and the price of a 12 month advert is only 70 euros - about the cheapest advertising you can get!  This site costs money to run.  Without advertising income it will die.

It is still here (unlike some other forums) and it is still free so don't abuse it!

Nigel

IP Logged

sujay
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Aug 18th, 2008 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
Fair comment .     Will business  people work for free if the advertising is free ?  If you Ad. in local mags min €30 pm business card size, so I think
€70 pa, less than €6 pm is good deal if a business cannot afford to support another business at this price what good are they. Stands back for flak (or now known as AAA)

IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
Hoi
This seems to have missed the drift, I suggested that people could use word of mouth , not the TF to advise of crappy builders and other shoddy work, I know about Libel an Slander, give me word of mouth anytime, but i didn't expect everyone to jump on the band wagon and recommend their favourite mate who needs the business, instead of advertising properly, and paying their dues, Nigel is right!!

If they can't afford to advertise properly then they are probably not legitimate builders, and by implication living on a shoestring, and you will probably get a shoddy job, think before you employ!!

And Yes I have had the word from her indoors about being a grumpy old man, and stop mouthing off on the forum, but that is what I thought the TF was about lively debate or am I wrong has UK PC won again!!

IP Logged

nen
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 9:05am
Print Post  
Quote:
Hoi
This seems to have missed the drift, I suggested that people could use word of mouth , not the TF to advise of crappy builders and other shoddy work, I know about Libel an Slander, give me word of mouth anytime, but i didn't expect everyone to jump on the band wagon and recommend their favourite mate who needs the business, instead of advertising properly, and paying their dues, Nigel is right!!

If they can't afford to advertise properly then they are probably not legitimate builders, and by implication living on a shoestring, and you will probably get a shoddy job, think before you employ!!

And Yes I have had the word from her indoors about being a grumpy old man, and stop mouthing off on the forum, but that is what I thought the TF was about lively debate or am I wrong has UK PC won again!!

hazelnut  Huhyou know we cant name and shame on here (wish i could as i know one or two )so name someone you can trust i say Smileywhats wronge with that the person i named dose a very good job he as done lots and you can go and look at his work before you deside whats wronge with that cant ask for more can you

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top