Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
EH1C from UK to Spain (Read 2871 times)
jools
Ex Member

EH1C from UK to Spain
Sep 7th, 2008 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
My elderly parents came to stay with me for a holiday in July for 2 weeks. Unfortunately my Mum became ill with a previously diagnosed complaint, and was taken into hospital in Mora d'Ebre.

The medical care and attention she received was second to none, both the Doctors and nursing staff were incredible, and although my Mum didn't speak a word of Spanish or Catalan, everyone tried to communicate with her.

After 4 weeks of being in the hospital, unfortunately Mum died. We decided to have the funeral here in Spain, so she is now buried in the cemetery in the village where I live.

They were only covered by the EH1C health card, which says it will provide emergency medical care to the same standards given to a local person.  Their private medical insurance bought through Age Concern (they are both 80) wont cover you for any previously diagnosed complaints.

Although my Mum had the complaint in the UK, and had a large operation last April, because she became ill here, it was classed as an emergency, because they couldn't discharge her in the condition she was in.

Visiting hours were whenever you wanted to go, including all night if you wanted to stay, and most of our immediate family came over to stay for a few days during her month in Hospital.

In a strange way, it actually meant that as a family we probably spent more time with her in hospital  here, than we would have been able to do in the UK.

Other than the language barrier for my Mum, there was never a moment when any of us thought she would be better off back in the UK, so if anyone is worried about the Spanish health system, please dont be, it is so much better than the NHS, and no MRSA either.

Jools

IP Logged

William of Orange
Ex Member

Re: EH1C from UK to Spain
Reply #1 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 3:28am
Print Post  
Thanks Jools very enlightning, WoO

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top