Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Vineyards (Read 3583 times)
kingy0
Ex Member

Vineyards
Oct 14th, 2008 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
Hi all does anyone grow grapes in the area? Does anyone know of a wine co op in the Maella area? I am really interested in either farming a vineyard or maybe an olive grove or even both! Regards Andy

IP Logged

El_Alto

Dutch and Curious

Re: Vineyards
Reply #1 - Oct 15th, 2008 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
Hi Andy,

I don't grow grapes myself but know someone who does around Gandesa. It must be your hobby. It's a lot of work for poor quality coöparation-wine and very low prices for the grapes (this year 6 cent p/kilo!). Farmers arond here can't even afford to hire illegal afrikans anymore to harvest the grapes.

If it really is your hobby then don't go to a coöperative but try to work with one of the private cellars and try to make a small wine of better quality.

Good luck,
Mark

IP Logged

kingy0
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 15th, 2008 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
Smiley Thanks for your reply.  I think it is a valid point about having a small vineyard producing quality rather than quantity.  That said as it would be more of a hobby than a business then as long as it is not a costly hobby then even using a co op would be ok.  Andy

IP Logged

jools
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 15th, 2008 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
Hi Andy,

More or less there is a co-operativa in every village, and I also have friends who work vineyards in Gandesa. You have to understand that most of the farmers get subsidies/grants etc on their harvest, therefore they get more money.

I dont know about 6 cents per kilo, sounds awfully low to me, but like everything else, shop around, there are plenty of private wine producers, and the Mayor of Gandesa himself produces his own label and this year he's paying 22 cents per kilo.

Bear in mind as well that it's not necessarily the quantity of the grapes that are produced, it's the sugar content that gets the price up.

Hope this helps.

Jools

IP Logged

El_Alto

Dutch and Curious

Reply #4 - Oct 16th, 2008 at 7:46am
Print Post  
Hi Andy,

In El Pinell de Brai there is a very nice coöperative building. It is more like a museum and they produce very little wine. But the wine they make is price-winning. Anyway, there is a very nice English lady working there  and she gives tours and can probably give you lots of information. In Gandesa they also gives tours in the coöperativa (I haven 't been there yet).

Mark

IP Logged

kingy0
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 16th, 2008 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
Smiley Thanks Mark, it looks like we will be out next year and probably take a tour of the area.  We have also decided to put our other house on the Costa Blanca up for sale probably next March, so we will see what happens then.  Fortunately we are in a fairly good position financially (at the moment!!!) so can afford to be more than competative on pricing! I know from other forums others are not so lucky and the job market is looking bad.  My industry however, is a growth industry and our hotels operate at a 100% full rate 365 days a year!! Speak to you soon.  Andy

P.S Just about to start a new thread on my next info blog!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top