Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
 25 Flies (Read 38008 times)
hazelnut
Ex Member

Flies
Feb 4th, 2009 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
Saw my first fly today hope this isn't an early start to the fly season!! the swallows aren't due back till March at the soonest, still the bees are busy I hope they are pollenating our almond blossom!!

IP Logged

briand6868

Here, wishing I was there

Re: Flies
Reply #1 - Mar 11th, 2009 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
Hi Hazelnut,
               Having "enjoyed" several fly infested meals at my parents casita near Camarles and not agreed with a friend/builders theory that "they were here before we were", I asked the advice of the friend of mine who did some work on our own casa in the Coll De l'alba and he suggested building a "fly free zone" which is basically a wooden frame maybe 4mtrs sq one side of which covers the front door to ensure a relatively fly free casa aswell.This we covered in fly-screen and built a door in and it leaves us to eat,read etc in luxury with only occasional disturbances.If anyone would like the contact details please get in touch.They are very cheap, an "extension" 3mtrs sq to mine to house the kiddies pool and keep it wasp-free is 175e for the frame to be built and I'll net it myself in a morning for about another 20e.It also stops she who is to be obeyed,feared and whose every need is to be pandered to post haste and without delay harping on about a conservatory at home!!!!!
                                                                                Bzzzzzzz,
                                                                                             briand

IP Logged

Debbie
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 12th, 2009 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
We have spent many a summer 'holed'up in the casa waiting for the flies to go away but last year after having the porch put on we tried some net curtains that I got from Ikea.  We put them on poles so they are easily removed.  The curtains are called LILL, they are 300cm long and 280 cm wide and there is a pair in each packet which cost £2.93 (not sure of euro price).  When we put them up we would have been happy if it had stopped about 50% of the flies but it stopped almost all of them and for the very few that do get in they seem to spend all their time trying to get out that they leave you alone.  We did have some gaps in the curtains but as they moved in the breeze it seems to deter the pests!!  If someone could tell me how to post a photo as well I will put one up showing what they looked like!
Debbie

IP Logged

Nobrot the Great
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Mar 12th, 2009 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
Great idea,we spent a small fortune on fly free mesh last year only to see it blow down 3 times.
At least a decent looking curtain can be taken down and cleaned.
Are the bottoms anchored down somehow or do the just flap around in the breeze..??

IP Logged

Nobrot the Great
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Mar 12th, 2009 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
Oh !!!! and the bast&rd black flies are out.....

IP Logged

Debbie
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Mar 12th, 2009 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
We're just ol' cheap skates and used rocks from the garden, gave it that rustic look LOL!
Ask Mrs Baker she saw our efforts last year even managed a few glasses of cava while sitting in the fly free zone!
Debbie

IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Mar 13th, 2009 at 12:16am
Print Post  
Where aere they this year is it us or are they not coming? we havent gotany yet HaHHa

Are we living in cookoo land/

IP Logged

ebrorob
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Mar 13th, 2009 at 9:52am
Print Post  
They will be back soon, Just smell the air! The locals are at present coating their land with all sorts of SH*T.Makes our area a sort of Fly Heaven!   Cry

IP Logged

biki
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Mar 13th, 2009 at 10:41am
Print Post  
Debbie you are right the IKEA curtains look great...nicer looking out through fine white rather than the grey available from hardware stores here. Maybe because of your generous glasses of Cava I did not notice the flies or as you say they just were not there. I really need a rerun to make certain Smiley

Ebro rob I watched a documentary on the common house fly and according to the researcher flys only like new s...t so after a few days it no longer attracts them!!They just lay eggs in it to increase the fly population..Deep Joy!!

FIRA THIS WEEKEND GODALL Saturday and Sunday 14th & 15th.

IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Apr 18th, 2009 at 9:29am
Print Post  
Well our resident pair of swallows are back to reclaim their nesting site and she is sat on the nest it can only mean one thing, they are expecting food in the form of flies, ahh well it seemed to last longer this year, or is that just wishfull thinking

G.O.M.

IP Logged

Nobrot the Great
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Apr 18th, 2009 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
Saw our first Bee eater the other day.A good sign I suppose,unless of course,you are bee.

IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Apr 18th, 2009 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
Hey Nobrot

Do London Tower Beefeaters eat only beef? could answer why they live so long!

Do Hoopoes eat only Hoops

Do Magpies eat only pies baked by Mags

Do Swallows oh dear don't go there

G.O.M.

IP Logged

No_Flies_on_Us
Ex Member

Reply #12 - May 12th, 2009 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
Great News to all of you struggling with Flies - I have the answer!!!   Cheesy  Grin

It comes in a spray which you spray around the outside of your house to create a FLY FREE ZONE without the mossie netting and structures. It is highly effective and lasts up to 3 months if there is no heavy rain.

IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Reply #13 - May 13th, 2009 at 8:02am
Print Post  
Yeah

We bought some of that spray its about as useless as a chocolate fireguard Grin

We also tried some crystals from a car boot sale also useless!! Undecided

We tried the fly traps sold in Sol D Ebre Agricol, they attracted million of flies and made things worse Angry

If there was solution that worked effectively, the makers would be millionaires Rodney

Netting off is the only solution or getting your neighbours to stop spraying pig and chicken slurry on their land, which incidently is illegal, if they spray manure it has to be turned into the soil immediately which non of them do of course!! Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #14 - May 13th, 2009 at 9:28am
Print Post  
Quote:
Yeah

We bought some of that spray its about as useless as a chocolate fireguard Grin

We also tried some crystals from a car boot sale also useless!! Undecided

Something else that we agree on Stuart

The stuff is absolutely useless