Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 New Chinese Buffet Open In Amposta ! Brill (Read 9526 times)
William of Orange
Ex Member

New Chinese Buffet Open In Amposta ! Brill
May 31st, 2009 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
Well im not one for eating out much as her indoors has a very limited palate. But we had received excellent reports from friends of a new Cinese Buffet Restarant thats been open a month or so now. It is aptly named Restaurante Buffete Amposta and claims Cocina Asiatica e Internacional

It had been descibed as being a fantastic choice of buffet fare with the ability to select fresh vegs and meats from a separate kitchen area and have them cooked fresh on the wok or grill to your liking.

Well a surprise birthday party was in order for one of my friends and after reccomending the new place a booking for 25 of us was made for a Friday evening birthday bash, the party was a fair mix of english and catalonians.  

The premises are new and modern having a separate room for smokers the main buffet hall is a smoke free zone. To the left is the main buffet tables and to the right is the kitchen cook area open for all to see.

The choice of food on the buffet area was outstanding, if memory does this justice here are a few things i can remember.Roast Duck,Suckling Pig,Gammon Joints, Battered Chicken Full Roast Chicken,Satay Chicken , Beef in some mild Chinese Sauce   Chinese Dumplings,a plethora  of sea food to keep those that like the stuff well pleased including ells, prawns sushi and other dead aquatic fare. The snails seemed a big hit with the locals also.  For those who like simpler fare there was chips sausages every type of salad fresh pan, along with numerous pasta and rice dishes hot and cold.I would say the buffet counter is 70 foot long. I cant remember any of our party trying the freshly grilled or woked food as the choice was outstanding from the buffet alone !

Then on to Postres lots of fresh fruits, Tortes, Ice Creams , custard slice, a bit like UK Vanilla Slice, again the choice was outstanding including some very exotic fresh fruits

In our party of 25 everyone was well impressed eat as much as you want the food looked good tasted good was hot when it should be and chilled when it shouldnt.My wife who as said at the beginning is a fuddy duddy when it comes to non english fare  throughly enjoyed here evening out and was looking forward to going again.  Most of the evenings chit chat was about how superb the place and food was Catalans and us Brits

Prices If memory serves me right

Mon/Fri lunch time 8.50e
Mon/Thursday evening  9.50e
Friday evening all day SataurdaySunday lunch and all festivals 12.50e
Sunday evening 9.50e excluding festivals
Ninos de menores 8 anos 5.95e

Drinks were very reasonable so they dont sting you there either.

Adress Avga Catalunya 19 43570 Amposta Tel 977 708458

Location Nearest Landmark is the large Eroski Supermarket next to the N340 get to there then travel away from the supermarket back towards town away from the N340 and you will come to a mini roundabout turn first right and its on the left next to the tabacs l

Enjoy WoO

Opps for got opening times Shocked

Mananas 1130-a 16.00 h
Tardes de 19.30 a 24.00 h

IP Logged

roswell
Ex Member

Re: New Chinese Buffet Open In Amposta ! Brill
Reply #1 - May 31st, 2009 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Adress Avga Catalunya 19 43570 Amposta Tel 977 708458

Location Nearest Landmark is the large Eroski Supermarket next to the N340 get to there then travel away from the supermarket back towards town away from the N340 and you will come to a mini roundabout turn first right and its on the left next to the tabacs l

Is this it  here  ? http://maps.google.es/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=es&q=Avinguda+de+Catalunya,+19,+438...

IP Logged

William of Orange
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2009 at 2:31am
Print Post  
no reverse back past the large roundabout and just left from the next mini roundabout...............no more questions on location ....dooooh

IP Logged

roswell
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 1st, 2009 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
Sorry, I thought you were trying to tell people about a good place to eat, I did'nt realise it was some sort of treasure hunt/needle in a haystack cryptic challenge......  Wink

IP Logged

Ebrovoice
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 1st, 2009 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
Quote:
no reverse back past the large roundabout and just left from the next mini roundabout...............no more questions on location ....dooooh

Thank you our William of Orange. So pleasing to read an interesting restaurant review as opposed to the "arjie-barjies " of the best kebab place in town. It was also very thoughtful of you to remember pricing and opening times.

May I ask one further question please if you don't mind? Our daughter-in-law will be out in the summer and she is  a very strict vegetarian. Would you say on your recent observation that there was sufficient choices for her to eat?

The other side of the restaurant sounds a little bit like the Mongolian BBQ style of catering. You choose the ingredients off a menu and they cook it ('wok it') for you.

Is it necessary to book on  a weekend or is that just for large parties?

Sorry that was 3 questions not one.

I do think it is worth a noodle on down there!

IP Logged

bruixot
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 1st, 2009 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
Ok try this....
From the roundabout that has the access to Amposta sud and the N340(the one with the stone sculpture that looks like a crane) drive into the town proper and you will encounter 2 mini roundabouts. Go straight on over both of these. The road splits here into Avinguda Catalunya and Avinguda De la rapita. More or less on this split on the left is the restaurant in question. Other nearby landmarks(!!??) are the Cofec Ferreteria(yellow signs) and the Fraga supermarket. In fact the restaurant is between these two shops.
Hope this is some help.
Regards
Bruixot
PS The food was indeed fantastic and we are all looking forward to many future visits there.

IP Logged

William of Orange
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jun 1st, 2009 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
I wouldnt say booking was necessary at the moment but if it keeps up its current standards as the word spreads maybe but at the current case in time,no.

Im not sure what a strict vegetarian , eats does it include diary products, sos for being ignorant on that but there was an enormous amount of salad, chips, vegatable samosa, pasta and rice dishes, to be fair take a visit b4 your daughter comes out and give it a test run.

8.50e mid week dinner time is a bargain i assume its the same fare but i cant guarantee it only been on an evening.

We booked bcos of our party size , birthday boys only complaint is they put the tables in one long line instead of a oblong to make it easy to chat as a group, but they probably would have accomodated that if we had asked,we went early 8.30 pm and it didnt start filling up to around 1030 pm by then we were nearly finished and it was about 60% full at that time. 

HTH WoO

IP Logged

spanishcatfishing

catfish guide

Reply #7 - Jun 15th, 2009 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
Went to the Amposta Buffet yesterday for Sunday lunch, the choice of food was amazing, a true gastronomic feast.  Already looking forward to our next visit.

Tom & Mo
IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jul 11th, 2009 at 9:28am
Print Post  
Went the other day, Yes I agree the choice of food is amazing. Smiley

How can they do it for the price?

The Choose your own meat/fish and veg plus sauce of your choice and have it wok cooked in front of you was very good, and the curry sauce was better than the Sultan though that isn't saying a lot

The selection of salads and Sushi also very good, and the wasabi sauce was actually hot!! Embarrassed

But I think their keep hot trays of starters should have the wick turned up on the heaters, only luke warm not good for food hygene Undecided

But Generally very good would recommend a visit and go again

IP Logged

Nobrot
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Aug 31st, 2009 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
Cheap and cheerful is a good way of describing it.Everything tasted of chicken,the only exception being the snails and the profiteroles.
The frogs legs were Ok but a guilt trip and the thought of half a dozen paraplegic frogs in tiny wheel chairs leaving by the back doors put paid to any more.Still at €8.50 a head,€92.50 inc drinks for 8,can't complain.At those prices I hope it's still there in a years time.....

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Oct 6th, 2009 at 9:22am
Print Post  
Went last night for the first time and had a very good meal.  Cannot agree that everything tasted of chicken but I do wish that these places would keep the food hotter - as you all know, I have a thing about food poisoning.  Also I love tripe (Midlands upbringing) but it has to be hotn not luke warm.   Surely it is not beyond capabilities and expense to provide microwaves for those that wish to use them.

IP Logged

Ritaratbag
God Member

Forum newbie

Reply #11 - Oct 6th, 2009 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
I agree that some of the food is not always piping hot, which Brits like.
It seems that the Catalan people like their food and coffee 'lukewarm'.
If you go to the counter, where the chefs are busy preparing food, you can get a plate, and choose your own food, and a  chef will cook it freshly for you, and that will be piping hot. I have tried some myself, and it was really good.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top