Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Any ideas ? (Read 8136 times)
Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Any ideas ?
Sep 11th, 2009 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
Salvador gave me some fruit to try today.  Halfway between an olive and a plum in size.  Colour brown and light green.  Taste and texture a bit like a crab apple but with a single stone.  The name sounded like Ginger but I don't know if that's Spanish or Catalan.
Nothing to write home about.  Just curious.

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Re: Any ideas ?
Reply #1 - Sep 11th, 2009 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
They are called gingebre (I think that's spelt right) - pronounced a but like hin hebray

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #2 - Sep 11th, 2009 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
That's not it Nige.  That's Catalan for ginger which we know is a root.  Whatever the Catalan/Castellano (he usually talks to me in Spanish) wortd he used, it sounded like the English word "ginger".  I don't know how that would be spelt.
I took a pic but can't work out how to insert it.

IP Logged

PaulH

the hills are alive

Reply #3 - Sep 11th, 2009 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
Its a Ginjoler, Catalan name, or Zizyphus jujuba in Latin. http://herbarivirtual.uib.es/eng-med/especie/4623.html

Good trees to plant & cheap but are spiny & sucker like mad when established. Fruits could be made into jam, dunno, ask Salvador!

Paul

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #4 - Sep 11th, 2009 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
That looks like it.  I didn't see the tree today.  I'll look next time.  Useful web site.  Thanks Paul.

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #5 - Sep 14th, 2009 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
Try again... before a glass of wine this time  Shocked

It's a Ginjol (Catalan) Azufaifa (Castellano) Jujube (English).

They are delicious and should be eaten when part green/part reddy brown and still firm. If they go totally brown they are over ripe.
They have a sort of sweet and sour flavour, but nowhere as sharp as a crab apple.

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #6 - Sep 14th, 2009 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
Yes, that's them.  Not sure I'd agree on them being delicious but that's a matter of taste.  My piccy was almost identical and I'm in communication with Nen as to how he goes about including pics in his posts.

IP Logged

Ebrovoice
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Sep 15th, 2009 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
Oh yes and they self-propagate like crazy. Some kind old sparrow dropped a few pips or maybe it was just one "apple" on the corner of our spare land and they are running riot now. Come and dig some up if you are crazy about them. You will be doing me a favour.!!! Smiley

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #8 - Sep 16th, 2009 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
Hi Nigel,
Can you post (or PM) exactly what steps you took in order to post your picture.  I've asked Nen but he say's he's having some probs now as well.
Cheers,
Bigyin

IP Logged

PlanesPete

In the Pink....

Reply #9 - Sep 17th, 2009 at 10:37am
Print Post  
Bigyin,

if it helps, here's what I do...

I guess that your problem is that your picture is too big (more then 250K) most digital cameras now take pics of at least 750K and maybe several megabytes.

Use Windows Explorer or 'My Computer' to find the picture that you want. Double Click on the picture and it opens (for me) in 'Microsoft Office Picture Manager'. Select 'picture' menu and then 'resize'. I pick 'Predefined Width & Height' as 1024 x 768.
Click OK.

If you want to keep the original size picture...  Click File, Save As and give your resized picture a new name.

Close Picture Manager. Choose 'Don't Save' if you have already renamed or 'Save' to overwrite the original. As a check, you can hover over the file in Explorer and it will tell you the new size.

Back in the forum new message page... Click browse just below the message compose box and find the resized pic.

Should be straightforward from there.

If you don't have Office Picture Manager then you will have to use another program to reduce the size of the pic. Your camera probably came with some editing software.

Pete.

_45313929_emp-6664049_big.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #10 - Sep 17th, 2009 at 11:22am
Print Post  
Hi Pete,
Thanks for trying to help.  My camera is a pretty standard Canon compact.  As I never print my piccy's (only attach them to emails or post them on web sites etc) the first thing I always do is reduce their size to 20% of the original in Paintshop Pro.  The one I was trying to post is much smaller than the one you've included below.  Mine is only 72dpi and measures 305 x 247 pixels (24 bit colour same as yours).  I'll describe exactly what happens.
I click on the "Browse" button to the right of the "Attach" field, browse to my picture and select it.  The local path appears in the Attach box.  I then hit "preview".  Windows (Vista) brings up a box asking me if I want to allow this web page to have access to my clipboard.  Doesn't matter whether I answer yes or no, the web page refreshes and the file path has disappeared from the box.  I've also tried using the "Insert Image" button at the top which only gives me the html place holders and no dialog for browsing as I'd expect.  It looks as if I have a setting on my Windows that's causing problems.

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #11 - Sep 17th, 2009 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
Hi,
sounds like you're doing the right thing but I never do a preview before posting. Have you tried posting without doing the preview?

Nigel

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #12 - Sep 17th, 2009 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
Yes, here it is.

Img_1436.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #13 - Sep 17th, 2009 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
Flippin' 'eck.......................job done.  I'll try and find some more interesting images.  Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top