Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Exodus? (Read 1102 times)
PlanesPete

In the Pink....

Exodus?
Sep 23rd, 2009 at 12:57am
Print Post  
I seem to hear all around that a significant number of Brits are packing up and heading back to the UK.
Reasons seem to be mostly economic, the £ to € rate, diminishing pensions and the difficulty of making a living here.
I'm in regular contact with several removal firms in the area and they all report brisk business back to the UK.

Conversely, there are plenty of French and Barcas moving in and buying campo properties, especially those with decent title.
Likewise, those with successful holiday rental enterprises report that the French and other Euro currency countries are making the bulk of their business.

Nothing very surprising in these findings. What do others think?

Now - to the point...

There seems to be a steady and firm pressure against Brits running businesses here with beauracracy and regulation applied only to 'foreigners' and not to locals. This makes it hard for us to prosper here. Do you agree or is it a town by town issue?

It would be good to start a considered discussion on this wide subject - how do those who need to earn a living, do so?

Light blue touch paper and step back...

IP Logged

Harvo
Ex Member

Re: Exodus?
Reply #1 - Sep 23rd, 2009 at 8:15am
Print Post  
As I am not resident I cannot comment on the local situation there but I can enlighten you on the situation here....as its no better!

I run a medium sized company (for a corporation....not my own) and more and more we find legislation and rules consistantly putting blockades in our way to making any money.

Let me give you 3 quick examples:
1) To get local Government or 'council' work I have to become an approved supplier and conform to a multitude of 'green' and 'efficient' working practices .....
2) I have to demonstrate I employ a representative cross section of local residents... Race, Sex, Disability etc
3) I have to certificate my transport of raw materials and waste across County lines with paperwork for each...

You would think I am producing Nuclear Powered High Tec machinery...yes?

No... I print newspapers....

My 2 raw materials are ink and paper... ink is oil based...paper is tree based .....
So to adhere to point #1... I am immediately in trouble ... and don’t let anyone kid you recycling is 'green'... you get rid of oil based inks out of old newspapers by bleaching them with chlorine... and you can only recycle 4 times before you need some fresh fibre added....

My ink is made relatively local, Woverhampton, but it crosses 3 counties to get here.... there's 4 bits of paper just to get it here legally...

The local population here is made up of something like 80% white British, 12% naturalised British, 5% EC immigrant with Asian and 'other' making up the balance..... Of these just under 1% have registered disabilities... do you think I can find a dyslexic, arthritic paraplegic Chinese woman who can drive a fork lift...

So the point of the lengthy rant is this.... I used to make a 32% margin .... We lost a lot of work ... some of it because of the above... but now I have slashed the margins we are busy again ...

Only this morning I got an e-mail from a large London Borough who initially wanted a fully accredited company with a complete 'ethnic' employment policy to print a job on environmentally friendly products....  I spent ages sourcing Soya based inks and paper from 'sustainable forests' .....and today’s question is....

........how much is it on normal paper? ..... really? .... we will have that then.....

..... price... or value ... whatever way you wrap it up.... is King

So before you all pack your bags and come back.... it aint no better here!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top