Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Languages (Read 6371 times)
Jimbo
Ex Member

Languages
Oct 7th, 2009 at 1:03am
Print Post  
What does the team think of our chances of leaning the language/s?
We are OLD, and think this will be too much for us.
Then, which one to learn?
My wife did O level French but that's it. I was fluent in Afrikaans many years ago.

Okay to give you a clue, I put the Michel Tomas (Spanish) CD on in the car, it took me a while to realise that he was speaking in English, so what chance do I have?

I have very bad hearing, which does not help  Sad

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Re: Languages
Reply #1 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 1:48am
Print Post  
TURN THE VOLUME UP - IT HELPS  Wink

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 8:50am
Print Post  
Many of us out here are pensioners but are also learning the language.  OK, maybe it takes us a little longer for it to sink it but we are getting there with regular practice in the local bar.
Don't give up but go for it - here are many good teachers around.
Good luck
Tony

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #3 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 10:10am
Print Post  
Here are a few tips to learning. It doesn't come easy but the key is practice, practice, practice:

1. Read the Spanish papers and/or news on the internet - www.20minutos.es is reasonably good.  You can use the Google Translate toolbar to translate it to/from Spanish to help you.

2. Watch Spanish TV.  Many programs (films, american sit-coms/dramas etc.) are broadcast in dual language.  You can change the language to English and then put on subtitles page 888.  This lets you hear the English and read the Spanish.  As you improve you can listen in Spanish and read the subtitles.

3. When you go to a bbq or social event, go and speak to the Spanish.  They are usually keen to practice their English so a mixed language chat will help you both.  It never ceases to amaze me when people say 'I'm learning Spanish but I never get the chance to use it apart from when I go shopping/to the restaurant/ etc.'.  I then see them at a social event, all the English sat round one table, all the Spanish sat around another... hummm.. oportunity missed???

4. Read Spanish books and magazines.  These can be borrowed from the local libraries - they have a wide range of magazines on all subjects.  If you decide to read a childrens book 'Because it is easy' pick your book carefully!  I read a Terry Pratchett book recently, I now know the Spanish for Fairy Godmother, Bats, Gnomes, Dragons, Witches and blood suckers just to name a few words that I'm obviously going to need in everyday conversation!

4. If all else fails, get a Spanish girlfriend - it really does help  Smiley

As for which language - well it depends on what you want to do.  If you plan to stay in Catalunya then try Catalan. You'll only be able to speak to the Catalunyans so you will be somewhat restricted as there are many immigrants from other Spanish speaking areas/countries.  If you plan to travel in Spain then Castilian as this is the version the rest of the Spanish speaking world communicate in (the vast majority of Catalans can also speak fluent Castilian).  You will inevitably pick up some Catalan so won't be totally lost.

Nigel

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #4 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 11:23am
Print Post  
Agree with all Nigel says.  If your wife can remember her French, she may find Catalan relatively easy to pick up as there are many similarities.  Althought there is an inbuilt rivalry between the Catalans and the "Spanish", I've never detected any resentment in my using Castellano to communicate with Catalans.

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #5 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 11:26am
Print Post  
BTW, I strongly recommend the Michel Tomas course if you decide to go the Castellano route, but listen to his advice at the beginning about not trying too hard.  I've found that it does sink in just by listening.

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

Xertaboy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
Goeie dag Jimbo!!!....as jy een of ander tyd Afrikaans gepraat het....,sal jy nee a probleem het om die tal op te tel.....,dit gaan net tyd vat!!!!!

baaie geluk....., en as ek jy was, sal ek the Castillion route vat!!!!

Totsiens!!!

IP Logged

cactus jack
Global Moderator

If I agree with you, then
we would both be wrong

Reply #7 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Goeie dag Jimbo!!!....as jy een of ander tyd Afrikaans gepraat het....,sal jy nee a probleem het om die tal op te tel.....,dit gaan net tyd vat!!!!!

Totsiens!!!  

Yeah what he said Grin

Nostalgia is not what it used to be...

IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
Can't you buy a Babelfish of Ebay?

IP Logged

viking
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
Quote from Nigel!!!

''get a Spanish girlfriend'' ( if learning Spanish) '' It really does help''

Well, I'm sure she will really  pleased to hear that!!!!

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #10 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
..she told me I had to add it as she said it is the best way..

As a footnote, I've found that learning Spanish in the horizontal position is far quicker than either vertical or sitting positions  Tongue

IP Logged

Ebrovoice
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
Quote:

Totsiens!!!  

Fooitog!  Afrikaans taal in Xerta. Donner en bliksem, ou maatjie hoe gaan dit? Hoe lank woon U in Xerta? waar in die moederland  het u gewoon?

IP Logged

Jimbo
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
[/size]Quote:
TURN THE VOLUME UP - IT HELPS  Wink

[size=72]

WHAT? DID YOU SAY?  CLOSING TIME?

IP Logged

Jimbo
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
Quote:

Totsiens!!!  

Blimey Xertaboy,  I tried to remember how to pronounce some of the words, couldn't do them all though.
I used to live around Kaapstad, left in 1961.

Goeie nag.

IP Logged

Jimbo
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 10:39pm
Print Post  
Ok guys I get the picture.

Especially as I have to get a Spanish girlfriend, and as for the position, yup, I'm all for that. Grin

What age do you suggest? Will she tell her mother? Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top