Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Swimming Pool Tiling (Read 1903 times)
phoebedog

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Swimming Pool Tiling
Jan 13th, 2010 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
I have a ten metre by five metre swimming pool which is about one and a half metres deep.  It is about twenty five years old and the glaze has gone off the tiles.  This means that in summer the algae sticks and it is all difficult to clean.
I need to tile it but would appreciate anybodies experience of doing a similar project.  What I really need to know are :-
Which are the best tiles and where is the best place to buy them ?
Do I have to take the old tiles off or can I just tile over them, I have heard of this for floors and walls but I am not sure if it would work in a pool ?
I am thinking about using the little glass tiles. I have been told that when you put these on you can use the initial glue as grouting as well so you just pat them down untill the glue comes through the web and then just smooth them over and its done.
What sort of cement/glue is needed ?
Has any one tiled a swimming pool just using ordinary tiles and know any reasons why you cannot.

All suggestions gratefully accepted.

IP Logged

PlanesPete

In the Pink....

Re: Swimming Pool Tiling
Reply #1 - Jan 14th, 2010 at 12:11am
Print Post  
It is best to remove the old tiles if possible. Adhesion is not brilliant onto old tiles, even when the glaze is failing. Bear in mind that these new tiles will be on for another 25 years and any imperfections are a real pain. That said, if the existing tiles are perfectly well attached and level then you might want to risk it. Use a powered wire brush to remove all the crap and leave the best surface you can.
The glass mosaic tiles are great. We got the last lot from Bauhaus. Don't try to fix and grout in one hit. You need a good layer of adhesive and you need to concentrate on getting the new tiles level using a longish straight edge. If you try and worry about grouting at the same time then you'll end up with wavy tiles. Grouting is much easier onto tiles that are well fixed onto fully dried adhesive.
One other point. The glass tiles are very bright, perhaps garish. Check that the colour you choose won't stick out like a sore thumb.

IP Logged

Harvo
Ex Member

Re: Swimming Pool Tiling
Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2010 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Have you considered a pool liner?
Depends on you circumstances/long term plans etc.
I know a lad in the UK that does exactly what you propose to do but basically sticks a liner with a mosaic pattern on inside the roughest of pools....in the UK they guarantee them for ten years.... not sure about Spanish sun/UV levels though.... just a thought

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top