Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Any grub experts on the forum? (Read 6315 times)
susanita

¡Ole!

Any grub experts on the forum?
Apr 10th, 2010 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
I planted a cherry tree last year which produced a lot of leaves and only one cherry but it was a very good cherry!  Suddenly the tree died.  Before that I noticed that something had been burrowing into the ground near the tree but never found out what it was.  Today I dug up the tree to plant another and found lots of very fat grubs among the roots, any ideas what they might be? I have attached a photo...

Grubs.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Ritaratbag
God Member

Forum newbie

Re: Any grub experts on the forum?
Reply #1 - Apr 10th, 2010 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
These look very much like chafer grubs, which
will eat roots. Nasty little B's.

IP Logged

Nobrot
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Apr 10th, 2010 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
I think they grow up to be very big beetles.It appears the adults lay their eggs in animal manure or rich compost and the resulting offspring munch merrily away,unseen on the plants roots.Worth repotting plants if they are looking a bit tired just to check.

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #3 - Apr 10th, 2010 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
Definitely Chafers.  They can live in the soil for 3 to 6 years before becoming adult so best to eliminate them before replanting.  Often found under lawns (of which there are not many round here  Undecided
They can be treated with nematodes (bet you won't get them in Cifec or Blasco) or a chemical.  Best to do a bit of Googling.

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

susanita

¡Ole!

Reply #4 - Apr 10th, 2010 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
Many thanks for the replies.  I'll see what I can find to get rid of the B's.

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #5 - Apr 10th, 2010 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
Might be an idea to take your piccy to your local co-operative.  The old hands there can probably suggest something.

IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Apr 10th, 2010 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
I thought they were stag beetle larvae anyway we lost a cherry tree to them this year

IP Logged

roswell
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Apr 11th, 2010 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
susanita wrote on Apr 10th, 2010 at 2:35pm:
I planted a cherry tree last year which produced a lot of leaves and only one cherry but it was a very good cherry!  Suddenly the tree died.  Before that I noticed that something had been burrowing into the ground near the tree but never found out what it was.  Today I dug up the tree to plant another and found lots of very fat grubs among the roots, any ideas what they might be? I have attached a photo...

I bought some Cherries from the guy beside the river, next to the big indoor market on Saturdays. Lots of tips and info for free, basically I remember that if you water Cherrie trees a lot you get lots of tree and very little Cherry....

You also need at least 2 species nearby to crosspollinate and produce fruits. The guy I mentioned [from Alcanar iirc] has his IDed by a few red and blue coloured bands on the trunk.

Nematodes may well work against the grubs, as may Neem cakes... does anybody know a good Horticultural suplier here ? Guissonia and Estorach are pretty limited in what they carry.

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #8 - Apr 11th, 2010 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
They may well have been stags Hazlenut.  I think (but don't quote me) that all beetles have a grub larval stage that will attack roots.  The reason I plumped for chafers was that I sent a link to susanita's post (with piccy) to a mate of mine who's a pro horticulturist and he said "deffo chafers".  Don't think it matters as the same remedies should work on all types.  Regarding horticultural supplies, I've found most of the local "Jardinieres" much less comprehensive in what they stock compared to UK.  I haven't even managed to get hold of standard seed trays.  However, I find the co-operatives usually carry most remedies and feeds etc. and the lads know a thing or two.

IP Logged

Nobrot
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Apr 11th, 2010 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
We bough some neem oil last year from the almacen in Temple.Coming over the millenium bridge to the "circus" roundabout,turn right just before and follow the road straight,past a dodgy wall and it´s there on the right.
€25 for a litre but it goes a long way.Add it shampoo,great for keeping ticks and bugs of your animals

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top