Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Well worth a try...... (Read 5383 times)
Chris
Ex Member

Well worth a try......
Jun 21st, 2010 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
I noticed today that the very place on your body that you swatted a fly, and killed it, more flies would go to the same spot.
This could be because the scent of the said deceased fly is on your skin, or because your own body, whilst dealing with the pain it's just received, gives off it's own attractive allure.
So, the way forward here is to give your wife a good slapping (all over) before you go out sunbathing, then lie next to her in your own fly free area.
I think this has some merit. Let me know if it works for you.

IP Logged

cactus jack
Global Moderator

If I agree with you, then
we would both be wrong

Re: Well worth a try......
Reply #1 - Jun 21st, 2010 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
Tried it Chris........The plaster cast comes off in 2 weeks time and then I should be on crutches for about 6 or 7 days.
Grin

Nostalgia is not what it used to be...

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #2 - Jun 21st, 2010 at 11:48pm
Print Post  
Has anybody had probs with drain flies this year ?

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 8:40am
Print Post  
Whats a drain fly?

They are all a drain on my bloody patience so i don't differentiate between any of them swat the Bar stewards

IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 8:41am
Print Post  
cactus jack wrote on Jun 21st, 2010 at 8:18pm:
Tried it Chris........The plaster cast comes off in 2 weeks time and then I should be on crutches for about 6 or 7 days.
Grin

I'd smack the pony, its less dangerous!!

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #5 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 9:01am
Print Post  
Quote:
Whats a drain fly?

They're tiny (about 1/16 - 1/8").  I wasn't aware of them until a couple of years ago when I disconnected a sink and they emerged from the drain pipe.  Once I reconnected they disappeared but over the past few weeks I've had a load of them.  Just wondered if the recent weather conditions had caused a general problem or whether it's just a problem at my place.  There's a load of info about them on t'internet.  I tried inserting a pic but couldn't get it to work.

IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 9:35am
Print Post  
Hi Bigyin Have you got a separate soak away?

If so has it been overflowing due to the recent downpoars!!

We had a similar problem recently and had to get a friend in to re dig our soakaway so that it did indeed drain away.

If it doesn't stagnant water sitting on the land will attract drain flies, you can always tell by the smell from the grey drain water, its worse that any toilet smell!!

See Link http://www.pestproducts.com/fliesdrains.htm

IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 10:32am
Print Post  
Bigyin wrote on Jun 22nd, 2010 at 9:01am:
Quote:
Whats a drain fly?

They're tiny (about 1/16 - 1/8").  I wasn't aware of them until a couple of years ago when I disconnected a sink and they emerged from the drain pipe.  Once I reconnected they disappeared but over the past few weeks I've had a load of them.  Just wondered if the recent weather conditions had caused a general problem or whether it's just a problem at my place.  There's a load of info about them on t'internet.  I tried inserting a pic but couldn't get it to work.

They are also attracted to compost heaps anything with rotting veg matter. Do you haver a compost heap?

http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef615.asp

drain_fly.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #8 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 11:42pm
Print Post  
Hi Stuart,
There's a sealed cess pit behind the house into which empties all the black and grey water and I know they live in there but I don't think that's been compromised.  The only other grey water outlet is from the washing machine which empties onto the surface.  I realise there's a host of possible breeding places that I need to investigate by a process of elimination.  I just wondered if it was just me or whether it was general this year.  Yes, I do have compost heaps but they will be included in my search for sources.  Thanks both for the input.

IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jun 23rd, 2010 at 7:39am
Print Post  
Hi Bigyin
Since we got the chucks we have scrapped our compost heap so no longer get the small flies anymore, and the birds compost nearly everything in the way of veg waste in 24 hrs

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top