Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Brits Desert The Med for Morocco Egypt Turkey and (Read 5087 times)
hazelnut
Ex Member

Brits Desert The Med for Morocco Egypt Turkey and
Jul 14th, 2010 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
New research by The Co-operative Travel has revealed that once popular resorts in the Western Mediterranean, such as the Costa del Sol and Algarve, are being shunned in favour of holidays in up-and-coming holiday spots.

The new number one area has been nicknamed 'the Mett' after its key destinations: Morocco, Egypt, Tunisia and Turkey.

This year Mediterranean resorts have seen a cumulative fall in bookings of 11.6% compared to the Mett’s increase of 23.4%. If these current trends continue then the two areas will swap places by the end of 2011, with the Mett becoming the number one choice for package holidays.

This would mean that by summer 2012, the Mett would be receiving over 38% of UK package holidaymakers.

Trevor Davis, director of retail distribution at The Co-operative Travel said: “The growth of all-inclusive deals, which appeal to people wanting to fix the total cost of their holiday, has helped to increase demand for these fast-growing destinations.

“At the same time increased capacity and the high cost of the Euro have both contributed to a significant rise in bookings.”

He added: "If these trends continue, it will represent the biggest change in bookings patterns since the boom of the package holiday in the 1970s.”

IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Re: Brits Desert The Med for Morocco Egypt Turkey and
Reply #1 - Jul 14th, 2010 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
Quote:
New research by The Co-operative Travel has revealed that once popular resorts in the Western Mediterranean, such as the Costa del Sol and Algarve, are being shunned in favour of holidays in up-and-coming holiday spots.

The new number one area has been nicknamed 'the Mett' after its key destinations: Morocco, Egypt, Tunisia and Turkey.

This year Mediterranean resorts have seen a cumulative fall in bookings of 11.6% compared to the Mett’s increase of 23.4%. If these current trends continue then the two areas will swap places by the end of 2011, with the Mett becoming the number one choice for package holidays.

This would mean that by summer 2012, the Mett would be receiving over 38% of UK package holidaymakers.

Trevor Davis, director of retail distribution at The Co-operative Travel said: “The growth of all-inclusive deals, which appeal to people wanting to fix the total cost of their holiday, has helped to increase demand for these fast-growing destinations.

“At the same time increased capacity and the high cost of the Euro have both contributed to a significant rise in bookings.”

He added: "If these trends continue, it will represent the biggest change in bookings patterns since the boom of the package holiday in the 1970s.”

Can you wonder when there is so much bad press about Spain and the way it treats the Ex Pat Community, changing the rules every year to rip off more money from the Brits and other Europeans,

They NOW Have a huge disaster heading their way  11% drop in Tourist revenue at a time when the whole world is in crisis and what do they do Stick their heads in the sand and hope the problem goes away!!

They have Fxcked up big style now! and once the Brits Scots Irish Germans Dutch French realize that the eastern Countries not only offer better value, but the Hotels Bar owners Restaurant Owners  and General Tourist Businesses Actually want their business!! as opposed to it being an Inconvenience as it is in Spain!! They will never get the business back and the Country will be SCREWED just like Greece

IP Logged

Nobrot
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 14th, 2010 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
OOOH Cheered me up no end !! that did Stu.
Very true though......
The only saving grace is that Spain has 'history' in so far as it is still a firm favourite and at least has an infrastructure that we can recognise together with being 2 hours away.Morroco,Egypt and Tunisia are still dodgy,I can only assume Turkey is also.The question is....would you buy a house there and could you sleep at night having done so???

IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 14th, 2010 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
As I recall a certain person not so far from Bitem went to Morocco for a jolly, what was the Moroccan breakfast like?

Yes your quite right I think the paperwork is even worse in an eastern country for buying, but it doesn't help us here!!

Zapatero will have to do some serious thinking if he is going to turn the Spanish economy round

IP Logged

viking
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 14th, 2010 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
Sorry to burst your bubble but Turkey is far from dodgy! A close relative of mine has an apartment in Kas, southern Turkey, has had it for 8 years and goes there all the time, she is in her 70's and partially sighted. She and her friends 9 the golden girls as the locals call them ) absolutely love it there. I have also visited and we are going  there this October. Southern Turkey is beautiful and the locals are so welcoming and helpfull. The food is great and it is certainly safe ( as far as anywhere can be these days ) My Mum has made good friends with a local Turkish family and the company who look after the apartment are very trustworthy. So there you are!! This is Southern Turkey by the way, very European in its outlook. Actually the way the locals welcome you reminds me of how Spain was about 30 years ago, before they got bored of the tourists. It would seem that they need to go back to basics if they want to win us over again. A smile goes along way folks, and when we buy food in the supermarket, try putting it in the bag and not throwing it at us! Just basic manners really.

IP Logged

Nobrot
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jul 14th, 2010 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
Now now Stu !!!
If you are enquiring as to whether we had the hash browns or the combination platter, neither,you can only get A proper Morrocan breakfast in Bremen,so I'm told

IP Logged

Chris
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 15th, 2010 at 9:50am
Print Post  
Yes, but what Stuarts saying is you took your tourist pound abroad and (drum roll) to one of the up and coming destinations mentioned. This is terrible and you should be chained to the Tortosa tourist information office and flogged. ( Please ensure that you print the details of your offence off in English so the locals know why you are being beaten, it will already have been done in Catalan).

IP Logged

furbydoggie
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Aug 1st, 2010 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
Any of the METT countries are fine for a holiday, I've been to them all and had a good time.  However I wouldn't dream of buying property in any of them.  Just a bit too culturally different for me.  Too many future unknowns for me I'm afraid but maybe I'm risk averse.  If any muslim internationl situation errupts, I'm not sure how "friendly" the locals will be with white westerners.  Besides we have a fair idea about EU corruption but we haven't a clue about the inner workings of any of these countries.  The EU is really dragging it's heals regarding Turkish membership...........why?

Although many people are having proplems in Spain/Catalunya, many more are not.  I know lots of expats who have bought in Spain decades ago and haven't experienced major problems (apart from the usual bureaucracy). 

I sincerely hope that a resolution is found for ongoing problems including the cedula issue soon - fingers crossed etc. 

I still love spain and hope to live there permanently one day.  I'm not wearing rose coloured glasses and many things frustrate me about spanish living but I know that armend with correct information, much of the bureaucratic run around can be avoided.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top