Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Shrub Identification (Read 5507 times)
PlanesPete

In the Pink....

Shrub Identification
Aug 19th, 2010 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
Can anyone help to identify this pest please. It is a bush that grows quickly to 5 meters across and 3 meters tall. Has a spreading branch system that roots where it touches the ground. 10 leaves evenly spaced in opposite pairs. Corner 24 kills the existing growth but it springs up again from the same roots. Here's some pics:

Shrub_1.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

PlanesPete

In the Pink....

Re: Shrub Identification
Reply #1 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
And here's another pic:

shrub_2.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #2 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
Looks a bit like Hollyoak Pete.  I'll check with my expert.  What's Corner 24 ?

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

PlanesPete

In the Pink....

Reply #3 - Aug 20th, 2010 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
Not hollyoak unfortunately, got lots of that too. These leaves are like olive tree leaves, smooth edged with no obvious veins.
Corner 24 is a systemic herbicide available in many agrobots hereabouts.

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #4 - Aug 20th, 2010 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
Hi Pete,
I'm sticking with my opinion re Hollyoak and it's been backed up by several experts I've shown the pics to.  Don't forget that it goes through different stages of growth including small holly shaped leaves, acorns and berries all of which can be present on an established plant at the same time but not on newly emerged ones.  Re Corner 24:-  Difficult to find info on it but I did find this "Mode of action Selective contact herbicide, absorbed more readily by the foliage (and especially the shoots) than by the roots, with very little translocation."  This would explain why the foliage is dying but not the roots.  Most people use Glyphosate for general weed killing.

IP Logged

El_Alto

Dutch and Curious

Reply #5 - Aug 21st, 2010 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
Hi Bigyin, I know the plant because it's one my finca too. But I know very little about plants and the name hollyoak is intreging. So I did what I always do if I don't know an english name: google on pictures.

Well Pete if this is what you have on the finca I think You can sell it without any cedula  Grin
http://2darts.blogspot.com/2006/12/hollyoaks.html

Regards,
Mark

IP Logged

ColinB
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Aug 21st, 2010 at 6:17pm
Print Post  

Plant ID

This plant is the shrub Pistacia lentiscus, sometimes also called mastic or lentisk.  It is an evergreen shrub which is particularly drought resistant and grows well on dry, well drained scrubby land. It has the advantage of growing into well shaped shrubs and even small trees and can easily withstand hard pruning and shearing. The female plants have small red berries which later turn black and are much loved by birds which is why you normally find so many seedlings under trees, especially carob trees.

Its leathery leaves and deep roots make it particularly difficult to spray into oblivion, so I would suggest that you take a sample to your local agrobotiga and ask their advice
how to get rid of it.

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #7 - Aug 21st, 2010 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
Hi Pete,
Just realised that I'd missed your post at 11:01 as I was probably composing mine of 11:16 at the time.  If you're happy that it's not Hollyoak as you have those too then Colin is probably right.

IP Logged

PlanesPete

In the Pink....

Reply #8 - Aug 21st, 2010 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
Thanks for your help folks. It is the Mastic Tree, easy to confirm once you have a name to go on. The internet isn't very helpful at suggestions for killing it, everyone seems to want to grow it!. Maybe I should start a nursery as I have hundreds of 'em. It's used for medicines but don't know if it would keep water out.
That reminds me... did you hear about the prostitute who didn't know the difference between vaseline and putty?
All her windows fell out!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top