Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Rosti (Read 3691 times)
hazelnut
Ex Member

Rosti
Oct 10th, 2010 at 10:44am
Print Post  
Having been to Bar Lila in L'Ampolla several times and enjoyed their Rosti potatoes I decided to look for a good recipe, the best Swiss recipes boil large baking potatoes in their skins till soft then drain and store in the fridge overnight, the skins  are by then wrinkly and can be peeled like blanched tomatoes, once peeled grate them with a course cheese grater sprinkling salt as you go, cook them in a frying pan with a mixture of vegetable oil and butter and fry at a medium to high heat, the secret is not to turn them for 5 minutes to allow the base to brown and set and the starch to bind the middle layer, if you muck about with them they disintegrate and you won't get a nice patty, if you are not a good tosser divide into four in the frying pan and turn with a spatula!! cook for another 4-5 mins on the flip side and turn out for a perfect rosti light and fluffy inside and crisp on the outside!!
Or try the Swiss/Spainish method see video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqF02pW-YzI

IP Logged

cactus jack
Global Moderator

If I agree with you, then
we would both be wrong

Re: Rosti
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2010 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
I've cooked them like that for years.
called it bubble in my day (without the squeak) Smiley

Nostalgia is not what it used to be...

IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2010 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
Naah Steve I remember Bubble and squeak made out of mash not grated spuds different texture and the steam used to bubble up through the mash and make it plop like a volcanic mud puddle not the same at all, but still tasty!!

IP Logged

Nicolette
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 25th, 2010 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
Quote:
if you are not a good tosser divide into four in the frying pan and turn with a spatula!!

Sorry Hazelnut but had to laugh at this bit, sounds painfull  lol!  Grin  Grin  Grin

IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Oct 26th, 2010 at 8:11am
Print Post  
Its all in your mind Nicolette

IP Logged

Nicolette
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 26th, 2010 at 4:04pm