Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Help compost (Read 8128 times)
Bulldog

Forum newbie

Help compost
Jan 14th, 2011 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
Hi, I am a newbie to the forum but we have been here several years, mad keen on gardening. Now have the time, getting sunshine, bought the potting compost and now have the mushrooms so does anybody know where I can buy good potting compost minus the mushrooms.      

IP Logged

Ritaratbag
God Member

Forum newbie

Re: Help compost
Reply #1 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
Hi,
Tref compost is excellent.
I buy mine from Solebre in Tortosa.
Tried many different types when we first moved here, but found all were rubbish.

IP Logged

Bulldog

Forum newbie

Reply #2 - Jan 15th, 2011 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
Hi, Thanks for info will try it. Do you by any chance know if I can use fertilizer called Oliva 16-5-19 on my garden, I bought several sacks for the olives trees but at the moment thats still a pipe dream as weeds are still knee deep

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #3 - Jan 16th, 2011 at 12:08am
Print Post  
Don't know the actual barand (Oliva) and may be teaching you to suck eggs here but the numbers indicate, in order, the percentage of nitrogen (N), phosphorus (P), potassium or potash (K), and sulfur (S) - the letters in parentheses are the chemical symbols for the elements.
It may have been recommended for your olives but should be fine for general fertilising.  Will probably do more good than harm depending on the plants you're planning to use it on.  Might pay to do  bit of research on Google.
I hope this doesn't sound rude but if you've been here several years and are keen on gardening, how come you're still struggling with weeds and sourcing supplies ?

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

bruixot
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 17th, 2011 at 10:32am
Print Post  
Hey Bigyin
I have been here six years and am still struggling wth weeds and often can't source stuff! Weed problem is mainly time related. You have spent so long being busy doing other stuff to survive when you turn to landscaping you suddenly find you are living in a jungle. And I still don't know anywhere other than the uk to buy Frys Turkish Delight!!!
Bruixot

IP Logged

roswell
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jan 17th, 2011 at 10:59am
Print Post  
Bigyin wrote on Jan 16th, 2011 at 12:08am:
Don't know the actual barand (Oliva) and may be teaching you to suck eggs here but the numbers indicate, in order, the percentage of nitrogen (N), phosphorus (P), potassium or potash (K), and sulfur (S) - the letters in parentheses are the chemical symbols for the elements.
It may have been recommended for your olives but should be fine for general fertilising.  Will probably do more good than harm depending on the plants you're planning to use it on.  Might pay to do  bit of research on Google.
I hope this doesn't sound rude but if you've been here several years and are keen on gardening, how come you're still struggling with weeds and sourcing supplies ?

I do not think the S [Sulphur] is ever mentioned in Fertiliser  Nutrient Ratios, it is always just N:P:K Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potassium, the 3 most important elements by quantity a plant needs.

Generally higher N ratios are for growth periods, e.g. 5:2:2 and higher P/K ratios are used for flowering and fruiting, e.g. 2:5:5. Using "the wrong one" can cause growth problems with some crops, so it is good to ask the locals for advice.

Soldebre have been very helpful with advice and stock, also found the TREF Potting Soil from there is good, it is made by Jiffy.

IP Logged

Bulldog

Forum newbie

Reply #6 - Jan 17th, 2011 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
Hi, thanks all for info, only have a small piece of land with olives etc. We concentrated on sorting out the house and garden first, as far as weeds are concerned the minds willing but the body's unable.

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #7 - Jan 17th, 2011 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Hey Bigyin
I have been here six years and am still struggling wth weeds and often can't source stuff! Weed problem is mainly time related. You have spent so long being busy doing other stuff to survive when you turn to landscaping you suddenly find you are living in a jungle. And I still don't know anywhere other than the uk to buy Frys Turkish Delight!!!
Bruixot

We all struggle with weeds but it's not a black art is it.  You either attack them physically or dowse them with herbicide.  No probs sourcing the bits to do either or both.  I agree you can't afford to turn your back on them.  If you spent less time trying to find turkish delight to feed the goats on you'd have more time for weeding  Wink  What else can't you source ?

IP Logged

bruixot
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 10:47am
Print Post  
Lol!
In my defence I don't want to use herbicides if I can avoid it. And with a couple of hectares manual weeding is very time consuming.
As for sourcing stuff the most recent one I can remember was Diatomaceous eart and flowers of sulphur. Wouldn't know where to start looking or what they are called in Spanish/Catalan.
Bruixot

IP Logged

philmountains

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
Hi All could anyone advise of a good Herbicide and were to buy from in the Tortosa area and a rough idea of price.
Thanks Phil

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #10 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Lol!
In my defence I don't want to use herbicides if I can avoid it. And with a couple of hectares manual weeding is very time consuming.
As for sourcing stuff the most recent one I can remember was Diatomaceous eart and flowers of sulphur. Wouldn't know where to start looking or what they are called in Spanish/Catalan.
Bruixot

I doubt if any of us would want to use herbicides from choice but there are only three options 'innit.  Spray 'em, cut 'em or leave 'em.  I expect you'll say that contray to popular belief that goats aren't necessarily the answer.  I've heard they can actually be quite fussy ?
Not trying to be a clever dicky or teach you to suck eggs but have you tried asking at the co-op for the local equivalents of the two substances you mention above ?  I would have thought that the locals would have similar requirements to yourself.

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #11 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
philmountains wrote on Jan 18th, 2011 at 5:13pm:
Hi All could anyone advise of a good Herbicide and were to buy from in the Tortosa area and a rough idea of price.
Thanks Phil

There's plenty of good herbicides available but it depnds on a couple of things.  One, how big an area are you wanting to treat and two, do you want to grow anything on the area once you've cleared it ?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top