Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Olive pruning (Read 8398 times)
briand6868

Here, wishing I was there

Olive pruning
Mar 20th, 2011 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Hola,
      Does anyone know where to get and approx cost of the telescopic mini chainsaw device that I hear/see most farmers operating,someone told me they'd seen them in Bricorama in Vinaros but wasn't sure on cost.Also are they worth the money as against the manual extended rod with small saw-blade attatched.
Thanks,
          Brian. Smiley

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Re: Olive pruning
Reply #1 - Mar 20th, 2011 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
Depends on how many trees and the size of them.  The manual pruning saw on a pole works well (only cut on the pull stroke) for anything up to about 3 or 4 inches diameter.  The pole chainsaws are readily available but if you're going to use it for a number of years I wouldn't bother with anything from Bricorama and the like.  There's a Huskvana shop near the town side of the Millenium bridge or you could try the Sol D'Ebre co-operative or Hierrez just up the road.  Expect to pay about 120 for electric, more for rechargeable and 2 -300 up for petrol.

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

Nobrot
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 20th, 2011 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
Try ebay.co.uk.4 in 1 brushcutter.Excellent piece of kit.I've had one for 4 years without any problem.1/3 of the price of local even with the transport.

IP Logged

briand6868

Reply #3 - Mar 20th, 2011 at 10:27pm
Print Post  
Thanks Nobrot,
                   Looks like great value and has the extra attatchments that will come in handy around the land.Do you have any safety issues with operating the "chainsaw" over your head or do you just hope for the best?

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #4 - Mar 20th, 2011 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
Obviously DON'T cut directly overhead.  Won't be necessary with the reach that the pole will have.

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

Nobrot
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 9:17am
Print Post  
Helmet and visor always and quick reflexes are a bonus......
The hedge trimmer attachment is great for clearing suckers and new shoots from the base of the trees.

IP Logged

briand6868

Reply #6 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
Thanks lads,
                Looks like the proper job' I've put in my ebay bid but if not successful I'll just get a "buy it now" one.By the way can you take this bit of kit as checked in luggage on Ryanair?

IP Logged

Nobrot
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
Think you'll have to ask Ryanair (good luck) as there are restrictions with internal combustion engines.
We had ours DHL'ed direct to us here and they phoned us up from the village.Cost about €30.00 and took 4 days with tracker.
(Tighten the nuts and locktite them when you get it)

IP Logged

briand6868

Reply #8 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
Hi Nobrot,
            Thats very interesting,didn't know you could do that,did you just give them a landmark in the village and you met them there or do they just phone you when there near the village and you go meet the van.Also were you easily. able to arrange this through the ebay sellers postal system

IP Logged

Nobrot
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
We get quite a lot of goods etc from ebay.It works out a lot cheaper than the equivelant here and having delivered is no problem to most ebay firms.
We give our full address and phone numbers to the seller and this is passed on to the courier.They usually call from the village if it's their first delivery and usually meet them at the bank.No problem.Try to make sure the seller uses a proper courier and not Correos (we've lost quite a few items through correos but nothing using DHL,UPS or Spanish equivelent etc etc as they have trackers)

IP Logged

briand6868

Reply #10 - Feb 13th, 2012 at 12:16am
Print Post  
Hi Nobrot,
             Got my contraption last summer and used it very effectively for a couple of weeks until i wore something out in the pull chord mechanism, did you have any of this and if so how did you get hold of the new part - I've since brought the "chord box" home and have been told that it is a Chinese copy of the Stihl machine and a Stihl  one should fit it.

IP Logged

Nobrot
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Feb 13th, 2012 at 8:04am
Print Post  
The only thing gone wrong on any of my 'Chinese' strimmers was a diaphram in the carb.£12.00 for the complete carb and 5 minutes fittings,from UK supplier which is nothing considering the work they have done.

IP Logged

briand6868

Reply #12 - Feb 18th, 2012 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
Hi Nobrot,
            Got the complete pull starter part (e30) Smileyand was told its been upgraded in the newer model to one with various metal parts in as the all plastic version was causing lots of problems, now back working perfectly again and happy as a pig in doodoo. Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top