Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 SPanish/UK vehicle (Read 11441 times)
eden
Ex Member

SPanish/UK vehicle
May 2nd, 2011 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
I believe the Spanish Police are now cracking down on UK cars in Spain.  Can anyone tell me where to go in Tarragona if you want to change a UK car over, and is it the same place if you buy a Spainsh car and have to change the name on the ownership documents. Also how many people are having problems with the police and UK cars.

IP Logged

cherryfarms
Ex Member

Re: SPanish/UK vehicle
Reply #1 - May 2nd, 2011 at 11:30pm
Print Post  
hi. In the Mora area, the police are now taking photos of any English reg car on the road. They then checking by internet  with the DVLA to see if it is taxes. If it is not, they are stopping the car at the roadside, or entering fincas to check on cars, and the owner is then given 6 days to get it on to Spanish plates.. Otherwise, the car must not be moved, unless on a low loader.. They really do mean business, and i know a few people that this has happened to.

IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 3rd, 2011 at 6:56am
Print Post  
Can Agree if you see what you think is a couple of mossos with a road side speed cam look again its a normal digital camera they photograph the rear number plate then check with the DVLA to see if it has up to date road tax, or if its SORNED or permanently exported, if not taxed they issue number plate lists to the Rozzers and pull you next time they see you, you can end up being clamped with a hefty fine!

IP Logged

Michael

Village Idiot

Reply #3 - May 3rd, 2011 at 8:31am
Print Post  
I wonder why it has taken so long for the rozzers to clamp down on these unlicensed, uninsured vehicles that seem to be in daily use.  I can't believe they didn't sort it out when they had the police station behind 'Simply' supermarket.  One quick trip to the nearby supermarket car park and... Kerching!!!  Maybe they've caught all the robbers and I will be getting my TV and computer back soon.   Smiley

IP Logged

cactus jack
Global Moderator

If I agree with you, then
we would both be wrong

Reply #4 - May 3rd, 2011 at 8:33am
Print Post  
Of course the answer is DRIVE LEGALLY!!!!

Nostalgia is not what it used to be...

IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Reply #5 - May 3rd, 2011 at 8:44am
Print Post  
What you mean like those Ex-pats who drive home from the bar on a Friday night and a Sunday afternoon!! Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Ritaratbag
God Member

Forum newbie

Reply #6 - May 3rd, 2011 at 9:24am
Print Post  
I agree with Michael, that had the Mossos been doing this months/years ago, they would have caught hundreds, using the Simply supermarket/carpark alone.
Also they could watch people on school runs, like they have done in other parts of Spain and caught motorists this way.
BUT, how is it that the Dutch and Germans are using their vehicles illegally around here, and get away with it??

IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Reply #7 - May 3rd, 2011 at 9:28am
Print Post  
I seem to recall some dutch couple in Gandesa getting clamped but it may be that the Germans and the French  are more likely to have holiday homes here and not permanent residents and only visit for Jollies then drive back home!!

IP Logged

Ritaratbag
God Member

Forum newbie

Reply #8 - May 3rd, 2011 at 9:52am
Print Post  
I don't think so, Stu.
There are quite a few around here, who reside all year.
But, even more when you visit Vinaros, Peniscola etc. etc.

IP Logged

PlanesPete

In the Pink....

Reply #9 - May 3rd, 2011 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
There are also plenty of us who have homes in both UK and Spain. When I come over for a few months I cash in my UK tax and SORN the car. This is perfectly legal as UK road tax only applies for driving in the UK. You need to check with your insurance company and of course you need to be MOT'd for the insurance to be valid.
The EU law on this is totally bonkers. I had great discussions with Lord Adonis during the last government. "You can use a car in another EU country for up to 6 months in any 12 month period before it must be re-registered." No-one could tell me if this meant a calendar year, a rolling 12 month period or how multiple trips abroad were allowed for. I even asked if MEPs drove back and forth to Brussels and was told that many do.
Always keep a valid insurance certificate and proof of a ferry crossing within the last 6 months in the car.
I would absolutely not condone colour copying your tax disk before cashing it in nor editing and reprinting the emailed ferry crossing every month or so. That would be very naughty.  Grin

IP Logged

cactus jack
Global Moderator

If I agree with you, then
we would both be wrong

Reply #10 - May 3rd, 2011 at 11:52pm
Print Post  
by sorn'ing your vehicle you are saying that it is not on a european road. vehicles in spain must be taxed in the country of registration to be legal in spain . this also applies throughout the EU

Nostalgia is not what it used to be...

IP Logged

Ritaratbag
God Member

Forum newbie

Reply #11 - May 4th, 2011 at 9:05am
Print Post  
When you sorn a vehicle you are signing/agreeing that you are not using or keeping the vehicle on any public road, anywhere.
It must be kept in a garage or off road??

IP Logged

spanishcatfishing

catfish guide

Reply #12 - May 4th, 2011 at 9:54am
Print Post  
UK cars in Spain must have a valid tax disc

Tom & Mo
IP Logged

fatphil
Ex Member

Reply #13 - May 4th, 2011 at 11:09am
Print Post  
Can anyone confirm that that the annual Rates bill for a Finca includes an amount for agricultural vehicles ?
As my neighbour has been told by the Adjuntament that he neads to inform them of his tractors details and pay extra for it on the rates bill.

IP Logged

nen
Ex Member

Reply #14 - May 4th, 2011 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Can anyone confirm that that the annual Rates bill for a Finca includes an amount for agricultural vehicles ?
As my neighbour has been told by the Adjuntament that he neads to inform them of his tractors details and pay extra for it on the rates bill.

thats a new one on me  Undecidedwe have a tractor we use it to go to our other house and land but dont pay taxes on it.maybe you have to pay to use the rd  like you do a car so if the tractor is registered like our new spanish car is you have to pay to use the rd.mybe we dont pay for our tractor as its not new and its not registered anywere ?well not to us anyway.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top