Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
 25 septic tank (Read 29771 times)
skibob
Ex Member

septic tank
May 22nd, 2011 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
Hi everyone, hope to be comeing out for good,( oh no not another one i here you say)

Been looking at the price of Septic tanks( yellow suba) although the price is not too bad, i'v been looking on the net and found it's not to hard to build  my own. Bloke built one out of 40gall plastic barrels.As we don't have any near neighbours, has anyone built their own, and got any tips. We live on a mountain side with lots of terrace Undecided

IP Logged

cactus jack
Global Moderator

If I agree with you, then
we would both be wrong

Re: septic tank
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2011 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
I have sent you a PM
steve

Nostalgia is not what it used to be...

IP Logged

John
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 23rd, 2011 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
I looked into the possibility of building a complete sewage system. It is not actually too difficult. There is plenty of information on the net. I am also a qualified biologist specialing in plants and micro-organisms though so had a good background knowledge already. If I can make some suggestions;

DO not just let the outflow go directly onto the land - send it through a reed bed first. Line the reed bed with polythene or fiberglass first to reduce seepage of germs.

Do not build a brick septic tank unless you line the inside with THICK fiberglass and resin because the germs will still seep out into the land if you don't.

Don't send your grey water through it because it will be too wasteful and it will deposit a thick layer of grease and oil on the surface. Send your grey water though a big sand filter - remember depth of sand is equally as important as surface area and include an activated charcoal layer to remove chemicals like detergent, bleach, etc. Your grey water should come out clear ans should be re-useable for flushing toilets, washing clothes, bathing etc. Grey water is deemed to be from washing, bathing, showers, washing machines, washing up etc.

I question why you want a septic tank though. Why not just use a composting toilet? Some of the modern ones look very smart and you end up after a couple of years with rich organic matter for your trees/flowers/bushes etc.

There is a very good book on the market called The Humanure Handbook. here's the link http://humanurehandbook.com/store/THE-HUMANURE-HANDBOOK.html

You can also download it for just over 8 Euros

I would recommend it to all those reading who currently just squat behind a wall or dig a hole!  Lips Sealed

There are many suppliers and useful sites- one or two are ....
http://www.separett.eu/
http://www.motherearthnews.com/ask-our-experts/what-are-composting-toilets-zb0z0...http://www.sun-mar.com/prod_self_exce.html

take a look on ebay too. There are a few commercial models on there but it is a doddle to build your own.

IP Logged

John
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 25th, 2011 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
The Humanure handbook is available for download at around 8 euros from the Humanure book site (it used to be free).

Update:

I,ve uploaded it.... You should be able to download it here...
http://www.datafilehost.com/download-733537b7.html

It is also available here for free download  from other peoples sites:

http://www.weblife.org/humanure/

and here ...
http://www.permacultureusa.org/2008/09/18/humanure-handbook-free-download/
And here .......
http://ebookee.org/The-Humanure-Handbook-A-Guide-to-Composting-Human-Manure_1032...

IP Logged

philmountains

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - May 26th, 2011 at 8:03am
Print Post  
Thanks for this.
Phil

IP Logged

Hen_Fox
Ex Member

Reply #5 - May 26th, 2011 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
re composting toilets : we have got a Separett urine- seperating toilet seat which is a lot cheaper than buying the whole system. Now we are out here semi-perminently we are going to use it (once we have built a outside loo room)
and see how it works. With composting toilets the key seems to be keeping the urine and poo seperate.

IP Logged

Nobrot
Ex Member

Reply #6 - May 26th, 2011 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
Difficult when you've got a slack bladder

IP Logged

cactus jack
Global Moderator

we would both be wrong

Reply #7 - May 27th, 2011 at 8:34am
Print Post  
Nobby, have you STILL not been to the doctors yet???
Shocked

IP Logged

skibob
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jun 2nd, 2011 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
I'll look into the compost, not to hard though, my misses has a sensitive nose. Just though a yellow submerine was a bit expensive, when i could do it myself. I'm going to be on Solar so any info in this area would be greatfully recived. Cool

IP Logged

John
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jun 5th, 2011 at 12:42am
Print Post  
If you have room in your transport, bring your solar equipment with you. We found it's way too expensive in Spain compared to the UK. There is a company called Navitron who supply solar systems. Their website is: http://www.navitron.org.uk/

They sometimes have offers on. For example, I bought the
sfa20-47hot water solar heater with integrated tank  including VAT at 17.5% and delivery in the UK (at £100) for less than £450 at one such time. The quality is good too. I would recommend them.

At the moment of writing, they have a solar hot water heating system with integrated tank, 24 tube (58mm diameter tubes) for just £450 plus vat (540 inc vat)  plus delivery. Normal Price is £695 plus vat plus delivery. The model number is sfd24-58 and it's in the 'sale' section (link on left of page).

I would recommend doing your home work on the photovoltic side of things. Many people are under the mistaken idea that you need inverters to jump the voltage up from 12 volts to 240 volts, but since you haven't got it set up yet, I would advise buying everything that runs on 12 volts, ie TV, DVD player, CD player, Radio, low energy lights etc.

The reason is that not only do you save by not having to buy  inverters, but you won't be subjecting your battreies to heavy loads and  draining your batteries all the time. You won't be able to run washing machines like this, but  thats what generators are for. Running one for an hour or so every now and then won't break the bank.

If you run gas lights such as those found in older caravans, they cost next to nothingto run and you can still buy the gas mantles on ebay easily.

Smiley

John.

IP Logged

cactus jack
Global Moderator

we would both be wrong

Reply #10 - Jun 5th, 2011 at 9:57am
Print Post  
I resectfully disagree with you John as in order to wire even a moderately sized house with extra large cable to run a 12v system would be prohibitely expensive. Also if on the 12volt system as battery power is used up then the voltage supplied wil reduce accordingly, ie 10% of power used , now at 10.8 volts. 15% = 10.2 volts. Very dim lights and probably not enough voltage to run all that you want and very much reduced life in your batteries.
However on a 24 or 48 volt system with proper inverter/ charger, then there is no voltage drop, its 230v all the way.
Also if you need to buy anything else in the way of appliances they are readily available and not at an exhorbitant price.
Try charging a phone , rechargeable batteries, or running security lights or using a bread maker, a food mixer. Do you really want to be starting a generator, (which costs money and pollutes EVERY time you use it) because you want to go on line to look at this forum for example?
Generators cost a lot of money to run. Plus you have to go and get the fuel in the first place, which also costs money.
If you are living here in the campo then solar and wind is the ONLY way to go.
Re Navitron,
I bought one of the first Navitron solar water heating set-ups 7 years ago.
IT IS FANTASTIC.
My 20 tubes produce enough hot water for 4 people all through the summer and enough for one person in the winter. I have invested in a top up gas boiler for the winter months Nov- March which uses very little gas as it only tops up the partially heated water to 80c
Just my opinion on the subject, as I want to live as 'greenly' as possible Smiley

IP Logged

skibob
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jun 5th, 2011 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
Thanks for your info John, i will certainly look into the Navitron water system. As to the 12 v 24 debate, i'm still on the fence, friends have 24 and it works for them. l think l will need a genny for the wash machine, my hands get so red and raw Cool

IP Logged

bruixot
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jun 6th, 2011 at 9:43am
Print Post  
We have three different genis(petrol and diesel,3000rpm and 1500rpm)and our washer doesn't like any of them. It comes up with a different error code for each one. It likes the inverter though. So unless you get a basic machine(no digital readouts) you will be handwashing anyway.
Bruixot

IP Logged

Nobrot
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jun 6th, 2011 at 10:54am
Print Post  
Quote:
If you have room in your transport, bring your solar equipment with you. We found it's way too expensive in Spain compared to the UK. There is a company called Navitron who supply solar systems. Their website is: http://www.navitron.org.uk/

They sometimes have offers on. For example, I bought the
sfa20-47hot water solar heater with integrated tank  including VAT at 17.5% and delivery in the UK (at £100) for less than £450 at one such time. The quality is good too. I would recommend them.

At the moment of writing, they have a solar hot water heating system with integrated tank, 24 tube (58mm diameter tubes) for just £450 plus vat (540 inc vat)  plus delivery. Normal Price is £695 plus vat plus delivery. The model number is sfd24-58 and it's in the 'sale' section (link on left of page).

I would recommend doing your home work on the photovoltic side of things. Many people are under the mistaken idea that you need inverters to jump the voltage up from 12 volts to 240 volts, but since you haven't got it set up yet, I would advise buying everything that runs on 12 volts, ie TV, DVD player, CD player, Radio, low energy lights etc.

The reason is that not only do you save by not having to buy  inverters, but you won't be subjecting your battreies to heavy loads and  draining your batteries all the time. You won't be able to run washing machines like this, but  thats what generators are for. Running one for an hour or so every now and then won't break the bank.

If you run gas lights such as those found in older caravans, they cost next to nothingto run and you can still buy the gas mantles on ebay easily.

Smiley

John.

ON the electrickery side I too would have to disagree.It just isn't practical buying 12v this and 12v that.For a small to average house nothing less than a 24vdc  240v ac  system.Trust me,ask anyone living in the campo.As for gas lighting,the industrial revolution was years ago.....

IP Logged

John
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jun 6th, 2011 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
Well guys,

I guess I'm the odd one out on the electricity side of things! Although I use one or two 12 volt lights, I do mainly use gas lights - industrial revolution or not! My tv, dvd player , video player, and everything else apart from my washing machine is 12 volts!

My washing machine is a basic 3 year old twin tub working off 240 volts and does need a 850watt generator to run it. I use a twin tub because we are very short of water on our finca and whilst a front loading automatic machine is easier, it uses tons of water we simply don't have.

Looks like my system which works perfectly well for us seems to be not to everyones favour. Still if we were all the same, the world would be boring.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top