Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
 25 Arens de Lledó (Read 26390 times)
John
Ex Member

Re: Arens de Lledó
Reply #30 - Jun 16th, 2011 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
Quote:
OK this is not the official site and it took me a few tries to even open the page ; http://farmsubsidy.org/ES/location/0/aragon/

This shows an average. Plus whatever they receive for the crop.
From what I read Spain is one of the worst offenders for hiding the data, so maybe someone with very good spanish could locate their agricultural department website and the relevant area?
However looking into these figures if they are true I must apologies as these figures are incredibly low by what I have seen in other countries on the official sites!
Looks like the cooperatives and some companies are taking the lions share, but they should then be sharing it out to their members, shouldn't they?

Here's a couple of useful links. One to the   European Commission > Agriculture and Rural Development > Funding opportunities page
http://ec.europa.eu/agriculture/grants/index_en.htm

And one to The Spanish Ministry of Agrigulture (English page)
http://www.marm.es/en/

I haven't had time to look deeply or see how to apply but I'm sure that together we can work it out.

Maybe we should open a new thread just for grants?

I'm at work and have to get back to it now. so Maybe do it later?
« Last Edit: Jun 16th, 2011 at 5:40pm by »  

IP Logged

crompton
Ex Member

Reply #31 - Jun 16th, 2011 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
Bigyin wrote on Jun 16th, 2011 at 12:01am:
Quote:
So how do you avoid these pitfalls, find a property at a realistic price and avoid being ripped of by all these people?

Do you think that 1,000/acre is a realistic price ?

If as John has pointed out money can not be made then the land has no value other than as hunting ground, probably about 100 euros a hectare in that case! Land is a commodity of sorts, if you can't build on it or make money from it, it ceases to have any quantifiable value.   
So I want a piece of land to build-renovate a house on and have a smallholding and make a partial income from it, if I can't do that then the land has no value to me and I wont buy it.
What would you pay for land that you can do nothing with, why would you hand over money with no possibility of it making a return on your investment?                           

IP Logged

nen
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Jun 16th, 2011 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Bigyin wrote on Jun 16th, 2011 at 12:01am:
Quote:
So how do you avoid these pitfalls, find a property at a realistic price and avoid being ripped of by all these people?

Do you think that 1,000/acre is a realistic price ?

If as John has pointed out money can not be made then the land has no value other than as hunting ground, probably about 100 euros a hectare in that case! Land is a commodity of sorts, if you can't build on it or make money from it, it ceases to have any quantifiable value.   
So I want a piece of land to build-renovate a house on and have a smallholding and make a partial income from it, if I can't do that then the land has no value to me and I wont buy it.
What would you pay for land that you can do nothing with, why would you hand over money with no possibility of it making a return on your investment?                           

hi if you are looking to make money (a return on your investment )then i wouldn't bother to buy lots of us have spent 100s of euros here in spain and are now loosing out (haveing to sell less than the price we payed and after spending lots of euros doing the places up too thats what happened when we sold one house in feb) we invested over 450,000 e here and we wont break even when we have sold the last house  Shocked we will end up with less than we came with and thats not good is it ?but i wish you well and buy carefully dont jump into buying untill you are shaw its what you wont

IP Logged

John
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Jun 16th, 2011 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
Nen is right.

You won't make a living from your crops, you probably won't be allowed to put new dwellings up if it's the same as in Catalonia, and you probably will pay more for your land than it is really worth!

Having said that, many people buy land here for the lifestyle they can have, for the sunny climate, the laid back way of life etc.

It's not all about making money. I know that if I sold my land now, I would get less than half of what I paid for it 7 years ago when land prices werre much higher and crops were worth more.

I sometimes burn my crops in the log burner! Why you ask? Simple.. logs cost much more to buy than I can get for my almonds.  If I sell my almonds and spend all the money on logs I will be out of pocket. The almonds burn like wood, and cost far less!

Most of the time though, I just let them fall to the floor and let them rot. It really isn't worth investing the time or money to harvest them. Harvesting by hand is a back breaker and investing in the equipment to do it mechanically will cost more than you will likely  recover in your  lifetime!

« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2011 at 5:26pm by »  

IP Logged

crompton
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Jun 16th, 2011 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
Hi Nen, well property prices in the UK are dropping by upto 25% a year, I have sold 2 and it is a cash only market in many places although I do know of someone who got a mortgage after '8 months' having put down a 60% deposit and security of another property. There is no reason yet to believe that this will not continue for a few years yet.
Yes it is lifestyle I am after but I have a young family and need to make money too to pay the bills and so on.

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #35 - Jun 16th, 2011 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
There's no way you will make enough money off the land to keep a family.

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

John
Ex Member

Reply #36 - Jun 16th, 2011 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
You might be able to supplement your income by growing some of your vegetables
(presuming you have a water supply nearby - not everyone does), keeping chickens for eggs/meat etc. but you will simply not earn enough money from your crops to live. You will need a proper sustainable  income from elsewhere.

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #37 - Jun 16th, 2011 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
You could always re-invent yourself as a builder, estate agent or fishing guide as many others have done before you  Grin

If you don't speak Spanish (and/or Catalan if you are in Catalunya) you will almost certainly fail to find work working for any Spanish company. I don't know what your skills are, but you will almost certainly need to be self employed doing whatever you do.  An income from agriculture is really a non starter.

IP Logged

cactus jack
Global Moderator

If I agree with you, then
we would both be wrong

Reply #38 - Jun 16th, 2011 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
Nigel wrote on Jun 16th, 2011 at 10:10pm:
You could always re-invent yourself as a builder, estate agent or fishing guide as many others have done before you  Grin

Or a donkey breeder/ dealer. I know a guy wants 2 of em Grin

Nostalgia is not what it used to be...

IP Logged

El_Alto

Dutch and Curious

Reply #39 - Jun 16th, 2011 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
Bigyin wrote on Jun 16th, 2011 at 7:35pm:
There's no way you will make enough money off the land to keep a family.

Not if you do what everybody here does (produce low quality products for the coperativa) But making money is possible if you do something different. In Pinell de brai for instance there is an English couple that do things different. They make high quality products and export these directly themselves. Seems they are doing quite well:

http://www.donferrantiwine.com/where_we_are.php
http://www.ferrantioliveoil.com/index.php

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #40 - Jun 16th, 2011 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
Welsh actually. Gwyn Jones, one of my customers.  He has his own hotel (St Marys Hotel) and ships the wine back to sell there. He has invested a huge amount of money into producing wine in Pinnel de Brai, it's well woth a visit (they do guided tours of the 'Wine Cathedral'.

IP Logged

crompton
Ex Member

Reply #41 - Jun 16th, 2011 at 11:49pm
Print Post  
Thank you El Alto, people obviously do make money out of agriculture or they wouldn't be doing it. I recently heard of a British farmer who has moved from Greece to Spain because he could buy a larger farm, he was on one of the islands and couldn't expand anymore where he was. He also pointed out that the locals had not moved with the times and wouldn't even invest in labour saving methods.

My word they do have a good profit margin, can't say I am not envious, good luck to them!

IP Logged

bruixot
Ex Member

Reply #42 - Jun 17th, 2011 at 9:16am
Print Post  
I know of a two bedroom legal house with a 150 olive trees and a large stocked pond being sold off with a fishing boat,website and customer base. Cat fishing business. They have kept the finca beautifully. Makes my place look a bit shabby.
Bruixot

IP Logged

El_Alto

Dutch and Curious

Reply #43 - Jun 17th, 2011 at 9:30am
Print Post  
Nigel wrote on Jun 16th, 2011 at 11:35pm:
Welsh actually.

Welsh? That is something like British Catalunya isn't it? For a Dutchie it's just the same island  Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

crompton
Ex Member

Reply #44 - Jun 17th, 2011 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
If properties are already registered on the deeds as ancient country houses does this mean they will get planing permission for reform or are they still useless with this new law?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top