Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Moving money to Spain - a warning (Read 12978 times)
coldalba
Ex Member

Moving money to Spain - a warning
Jun 30th, 2011 at 7:10am
Print Post  
The price we agreed for some property was in GBP which avoided exchange rate concerns of both the vendor and purchaser. However the sale had to be in Euros from a Spanish bank. And it was agreed that the exchange rate to be used would be that of the day before the completion. Again to reduce risk we planned to exchange the money as late as possible.
Having considered many many options we transferred around £40,000 from a UK bank to a GBP account at La Caixa. We were due to pay £8 in the UK and 0.4% at La Caixa (as they were GBP, expensive at £160 but less than some of last week’s exchange rate changes).
The money was sent and arrived ... but ... it was sent as Euros. The good news is that La Caixa did not charge us £160. The bad news is that this meant buying Euros and then selling them for GBP. This was not a notional transaction using the same rates and so would cost us. However the UK bank converted it to Euros at a very good rate, then La Caixa’s rate to buy GBP was so bad that we ended up with over £1000 less in the GBP account in Spain than had left the UK.
Next we then had to convert the GBP in La Caixa into Euros. Again La Caixa’s exchange rate was very bad. Compared to the rate available at FTT (an online currency broker we also used and where everything is really clear) we got about 500 Euros less from La Caixa. This was even after the bank official waived the commission fee.
Finally, we went to collect the bankers cheques on the morning of completion. We had little reaction to the fact that we would be charged approaching 100 Euros for the cheques. The bank official showed us that she had reduced the charges from the standard amount, but not down to zero which is what we had been told would be the cost 3 weeks earlier.
In summary when transferring GBP to a GBP account, check that they will not get exchanged for Euros on the way (obvious though this seems) and La Caixa are great for customer service, but have TERRIBLE exchange rates.
If we had moved all the money with FTT we would have been at least 1500 Euros better off, out of £40,000. So much for research and reducing risk!

IP Logged

skibob
Ex Member

Re: Moving money to Spain - a warning
Reply #1 - Jun 30th, 2011 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
Thanks for that, We have an account with the Le Caixa bank in Tortosa and lasy year we enquired about a small mortgage to finish off our property.They charged us 140.OO euros to come and look. Im thnking of changing Banks. Angry

IP Logged

geandi
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 30th, 2011 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
Check out the Worldfirst money exchange website for the best exchange rates ! could save you thousands and very easy to deal with. They guarantee to beat all other quotes.

IP Logged

Ebrovoice
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 1st, 2011 at 12:37am
Print Post  
Some charge up to 400 euros and when challenged they say we work on a national directive. So be careful-better the devil you know than the devil you don't Undecided

IP Logged

Nobrot
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 2nd, 2011 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
Are we talking about banks or currency exchanges.If it's the latter,open up accounts with 2 or 3 and then play each one off against the other.The all work on commision so a percentage of something is better than no percentage at all.
I always imagine they each have a 7 series BMW in a company car park,all on finance.....someones got to pay it off.Saved me £800 in half an hour a few years ago.....

IP Logged

geandi
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jul 3rd, 2011 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
As Nobrot says play one off against the other. My advice would be do not let your UK bank deal with your exchange from GBP to EUROS . Put it in the hands of a reputable professional and let them deal with your UK bank for transfer. The UK bank won't like it but you will save a lot of money.

IP Logged

coldalba
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 29th, 2011 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
Yes. For me the particular lesson here is to avoid La Caixa except for simple everyday transactions.

IP Logged

Malcolm
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
When I bought my house in Spain I actually sent the money to La Caixa already converted to Euros. They still charged me 800€ for for receiving it! My solicitor actually knew the bank manager and managed to get the majority of it waived but it could have been.

IP Logged

Pondgirl
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jul 30th, 2014 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
Surely the initial fault lies with the English bank that sent the money in Euros when it was requested in pounds?  You had to go to an awful lot of expense and trouble because of their mistake.

We use HIFX to transfer money from our English account to our La Caixa account.  The bank have never charged us for receiving Euros and HIFX don't charge for transfers over £3000.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top