Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Cramp (Read 8734 times)
Bulldog

Forum newbie

Cramp
Dec 5th, 2011 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
Hi,
Has anybody got any remedies for cramp as I cannot get any quinine sulphate tablets here, and I really really can't eat any more bananas. As this was recommended as a remedy but it does not work.

IP Logged

chrisandpen
Ex Member

Re: Cramp
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2011 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
Hi Bulldog,
                  The best thing is tonic water it works quickly as well, but if you have some each day it helps prevent cramp, hope it works for you like it has done for myself & friends

IP Logged

almendra
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2011 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
do you mean nigh-time cramp ( when you are sleeping ) or cramp after excercise? If it is nightime then I recommend stretching excercises, to stretch the calf muscles 3 times a day, make sure you drink plenty of water before you go to bed and during the night if you feel thirsty as dehydration can make it work,( you will probably be up a few times in the night but hopefully not with cramp)  don't drink too much of the old vino,as a last resort you may need to ask your Dr to check your thyroid levels as an underactive thyroid can cause cramps. Hope this works, I used to get very painful leg cramps at night but haven't suffered with them for years now! Never knew about the tonic water but worth a try if you can get hold of it. Best of luck!

IP Logged

munkonminor

Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2011 at 11:22am
Print Post  
You need to check the Tonic, some of the cheaper ones do not have Quinine in

IP Logged

Jan_Steve
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Dec 9th, 2011 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
Hi bulldog, I had same problem as I was on quinine tablets in the U.K. Our local pharmacist recommended Magnesium Tablets so I took them for a few years then found I didnt need them, Only seem to get the dreaded cramp now if I get a bit dehydrated.
Cheers
Steve

IP Logged

ColinB
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Dec 9th, 2011 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
Why do you expect this forum to answer your question?  Go to nhs.org or similar.

IP Logged

Bulldog

Forum newbie

Reply #6 - Dec 11th, 2011 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Thanks all for the advice on cramp I have bought some tonic water will give this a try first. Him indoors bought a bottle of gin so tonic not lonely. I didn't realise asking a simple question on the health section would cause anger to the levels of an E.U. Veto to some members. T'other half says cheers hicccccccccccc more tonic in the gin please.

IP Logged

Ebrovoice
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Dec 12th, 2011 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
Some of the comments are very much tongue in the cheek and having a laugh. Do not worry.

Only a word of caution. If the cramps continue and show no sign of letting up do get your glucose levels checked. I was shocked to find out my cramps ran hand in hand with type 2 diabetes that can come on as one passes 40 or later on. so don't ignore it. It needn't be horrific but can be controlled with diet.

I hope this helps you .

IP Logged

PlanesPete

In the Pink....

Reply #8 - Dec 13th, 2011 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
Mt tuppence worth... I was told that a lack of salt can cause cramps. We didn't use any in cooking and dont eat much processed food. We started using a little salt in cooking and the cramps have gone. In hot weather we have to remind ourselves to drink plenty of non-alcoholic liquid, had plenty of headaches and dizziness when we dont.

IP Logged

Bulldog

Forum newbie

Reply #9 - Dec 16th, 2011 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
Many thanks all again for your replies. With having serious health problems I do have to have regular check ups at the doctors. So thanks Almendra but can rule out thyroid problem. Also Ebrovoice didn't know about the diabetes connection ( you learn something everyday on the health section ) the natural remedies are always very helpful as I have to take enough pills and potions. As for you PlanesPete your tuppence is always welcomed but be careful you don't end up with Portugal's debt. Got to be careful with the salt but t'other half found that by increasing his water intake does help with headaches and dizziness. He states that by lowering the tonic and increasing the gin does help cure cramp ( I would not take this statement serious as he has never suffered from cramp. ) Bulldog.

IP Logged

HORUS
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Dec 21st, 2011 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
Hi i have a pharmacy here in Catalonia i can get you quinine sulphate if you are interested phone me on 675255097, i am in Tortosa 2 or 3 times a week.
Michael

IP Logged

Bulldog

Forum newbie

Reply #11 - Dec 21st, 2011 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
Thanks Michael,
Will ring you now as I had them on Prescription in UK.
Bulldog.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top