Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 10 D.V.D or Video (Read 8489 times)
Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Re: D.V.D or Video
Reply #15 - Dec 20th, 2011 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
If anyone's interested, Amazon have the Humax Foxsat PVR 320Gb on at the moment for just under £150 with free delivery to here.

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

Bulldog

Forum newbie

Reply #16 - Dec 21st, 2011 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
Thanks all again I am now the proud owner of a well behaved L.G DVD recorder, I proudly bought it on my own without any need to speak Spanish looking totally confident and acting well informed, took it home, showed the wife who immediately hit me around the head and asked a typically wife's question where does it say HARD DRIVE, quick on my feet I said Santa would bring that. No need to worry as she took it well ( any chance of a bed at yours spanishcatfishing )and a special thank you to Nigel for such a well explained and totally easy to understand reply even though it caused me a migraine and had to sit in a darkened kitchen with a cup of tea and two digestives
Yours two teeth missing Bulldog.

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #17 - Dec 21st, 2011 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
Glad to hear you've found a solution.  I presume you've realised that if you use re-writeable dvd discs (DVD-RW) as opposed to DVD-R, you'll be able to record over stuff you've already watched and don't want to keep so I can't see why you would now need to buy a hard disk recorder unless you want the programmability features that some offer (unless I've missed something here) ?

IP Logged

Bulldog

Forum newbie

Reply #18 - Dec 23rd, 2011 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
Dear Bigyin, Bigyin, Bigyin,
REALLY!!! Just before I give my wife one of her xmas presents ( The DVDS I've just bought ) What do you think the difference is between ( DVD-RW ) opposed to DVD-R for the less technically minded people than yourself and I on this forum. As for the hard disk features not really sure what these are, so have you ever heard of these double sided DVD's because by the time I got to this point in the shop with the times 2 and 4 times dvds I could feel one of my migraines coming on so therefore needing a strong cup of tea and THREE digestives.
Yours a video missing Bulldog.

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #19 - Dec 23rd, 2011 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
I'm going to stop apologising for giving egg sucking lessons as you give the impression that you might find them useful  Grin
DVD-R discs can be written to once.  You cannot re-record over stuff you've already recorded.  This is fine for stuff you want to keep permanently (like The X-tra Factor that you may want to watch over and over and into your doteage)  Shocked
DVD-RW discs allow you to re-write over the top of stuff you've already recorded like East Enders if you're gonna be out when it's on but once you've watched it when you get home, you won't want to keep it (?) so you can record over it with new stuff.  In this sense it's more like a hard disc and that's why I brought it up.  It may be that you don't need to buy a hard disc recorder.  Just use DVD-RW discs and then decide if you want to keep what you've recorded or not.
The 2x, 4x, 8x etc. refers to the speed of recording and needn't be an issue.  It would help if you could say what make and model of DVD recorder you've bought then we can find out what it's capable of.
(I'd get her a small box of chocs as well just in case)  Kiss

IP Logged

Bulldog

Forum newbie

Reply #20 - Dec 24th, 2011 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
Hi, Bigyin,
Always like to suck a good egg as belive me your comments have been useful ( Don't know how to even put the funny faces or pictures on the forum ) I know very little about machines/ computers/ cars etc. but I am an expert at breaking any tool /machine and elctronics. You say about the speed recordings, are these like LP on a video? eg 2x would make a 2hr disk into a 4hr one and 4x into a 8hr one. The recorder is a LG model DRT389H. Not having my glasses with me bought DVDR's thinking they were the recorders but being a husband of many years and not stupid also bought her a jumper she said she liked ( how was I to know with it being Spanish measurements she could wrap it round herself twice and still have enough room for a friend as I'm still in old money and measurements But she took it well ) Took your advice, bought the chocs how was I to know they were dark chocolate.
Yours all flowers to Tortosa hospital please to battered husbands ward Bulldog.

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #21 - Dec 24th, 2011 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
This is from an earlier post I made "As far as I can make out, some record the output of your satellite receiver (the one that goes into the TV) whilst others have built in tuners but they aren't all Freesat tuners (some are just Freeview which wouldn't be much use to you here). "
Having looked this model up, it seems that it has a Freeview tuner which means you can't use any of the programming features as you can't receive Freeview here.  You may be able to plug the output of your satellite receiver into it and record whatever the TV is tuned to.  I'll do more digging later and let you know.  Have you taken it out of the box and used it yet ?  If not, I'd take it back and swap it for one with a Freesat tuner (if you can get them here).  As I said, the Humax is going very cheap on Amazon at the moment.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top