Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 D.V.D or Video (Read 8491 times)
Bulldog

Forum newbie

D.V.D or Video
Dec 17th, 2011 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
To all you technics out there advice required by a professional luddite. At present I am the proud owner of a terminally ill video recorder who is in the last throngs of life stop start and spluttering which after ten years I have only just learned how to work without the help of a seven year old child which in U.K the salesman stated they could work. so tried adopting but failed as could not get one on buy or return. The question ( as you are all now poised mouse in hand ) As videos are now hard to come by like teeth in chickens, Would I be better buying a D.V.D recorder with a hardisk thingy or without one as I wish to tape educational programs such as Emmerdale ( isn't it a worry about Cain ) and Have I got news for you. Are special skills needed to work these new fangled machines as being/useless with technology ( eg pull top cans etc) old/set in my ways but amazingly good looking ( He lies about his looks ) and to not upset anyone Don't mention health. All help and advice greatfully received.
Yours in Video mourning Bulldog.

IP Logged

spanishcatfishing

catfish guide

Re: D.V.D or Video
Reply #1 - Dec 17th, 2011 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
We bought a LG Hard Drive & DVD recorder in Carrefours.  It is very easy to use, and we use it much more than the old video.  Hope this helps.

Tom & Mo
IP Logged

bruixot
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 18th, 2011 at 11:07am
Print Post  
Hi
How much was that please?
Bruixot

IP Logged

spanishcatfishing

catfish guide

Reply #3 - Dec 18th, 2011 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
179 euro

Tom & Mo
IP Logged

Bulldog

Forum newbie

Reply #4 - Dec 18th, 2011 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
spanishcatfishing wrote on Dec 17th, 2011 at 6:50pm:
We bought a LG Hard Drive & DVD recorder in Carrefours.  It is very easy to use, and we use it much more than the old video.  Hope this helps.

Hi Spanishcatfishing thanks for info. I have an L.G. T.V. so the L.G D.V.D sounds good but ( there's always a but ) my technical skills on a par with my Spanish speaking and you can only get so far in the shop waving your hands and shouting louder. So how does it work to record on this hard disk thingy do I need a D.V. in or what. As I am still on probation with the T.V zapper. ( Don't ask about the probation as the accident with the T.V. zapper is still a painful memory. )
Yours, Bulldog trainee T.V. engineer.

IP Logged

spanishcatfishing

catfish guide

Reply #5 - Dec 18th, 2011 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
I run it as follows - co-axial 'out' of satellite to co-axial 'in' on recorder, then scart 'out' of recorder to scart 'in' on TV.  The set-up is in English on the LG recorder.  Then to record just press record button on the handset for the required length of time or set the timer. Hope this helps.

Tom & Mo
IP Logged

Bulldog

Forum newbie

Reply #6 - Dec 18th, 2011 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
Hi,
Thanks for latest info ( clear as mud ) but her indoors says its crystal clear ( first row and we've not got the D.V.D yet.) Is it like the video, insert tape ( DVD ) press record then press again for length of time required as timer settings are on my new years list of things to do eg. brain surgery and bomb disposal, so how long will the hard disk tape for.
Many Thanks
Yours Bulldog new owner to be of a DVD recorder

IP Logged

spanishcatfishing

catfish guide

Reply #7 - Dec 18th, 2011 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
Hi, records up to 180 on to the hard drive, no DVD require, not sure if it will record 'soaps' though! To record you just have to press the record button to get to the required length of time (the little button with the red dot on it and the letters rec above it), for a 'small charge' you are welcome to come round for a lesson.

Tom & Mo
IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #8 - Dec 18th, 2011 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
Sorry to put my nose in here but what do you want to record ?  Is it programs that are on while you're out or programmes that you watch and then want to watch again later ?

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

Bulldog

Forum newbie

Reply #9 - Dec 19th, 2011 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
spanishcatfishing wrote on Dec 18th, 2011 at 7:54pm:
Hi, records up to 180 on to the hard drive, no DVD require, not sure if it will record 'soaps' though! To record you just have to press the record button to get to the required length of time (the little button with the red dot on it and the letters rec above it), for a 'small charge' you are welcome to come round for a lesson.

Dear spanishcatfishing, thankyou again for all the useful information ( as if he would record a soap but not having his glasses on did you say it had to be recorded on a boat ) Do not invite him round as he breaks everything he touches and cannot resist a button, believe me you would pay me just to get rid of him.
Bulldog.

IP Logged

Bulldog

Forum newbie

Reply #10 - Dec 19th, 2011 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
Bigyin wrote on Dec 18th, 2011 at 11:16pm:
Sorry to put my nose in here but what do you want to record ?  Is it programs that are on while you're out or programmes that you watch and then want to watch again later ?

Dear Bigyin,
Your nose is welcome the answer is yes to all, But ( a worried Bulldog  ) does it make a difference if I'm In or out  when recording. If we record a film on the hard disk then want to keep it, can it be put onto a DVD and is it easy to do. Remember you are writing to a man who when in a shop buying his first video recorder assured his wife VHS would never last and bought a Betamax recorder and also the only man in the U.k to buy the very big and heavy bush T.V with built in tuner.
Yours Bulldog with the kiss of death to technology.

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #11 - Dec 19th, 2011 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
The reason I ask is that with the simple hard disk recorders you can only record the same channel that your are watching but of course they can be set up to record while you're out.  My question was a round about way of finding out if your were hoping to watch one channel and record another.
There are a lot of different recorder types out there.  Some allow you to record to hard disc and also to DVD, others don't.  As far as I can make out, some record the output of your satellite receiver (the one that goes into the TV) whilst others have built in tuners but they aren't all Freesat tuners (some are just Freeview which wouldn't be much use to you here).  I might be wrong about some of this so it would be good if an expert (like Nigel) could jump in here.  By the way, I've been reading some bad reviews about the LG boxes.
For what it's worth.
Bigyin

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #12 - Dec 20th, 2011 at 7:09am
Print Post  
I've not had much experience with these devices but I'm fairly sure the majority of DVD/Hard disk recorders have Freeview (TDT  - Terrestrial digital TV) receivers in them. This would mean you can use them with the built in tuners for terrestrial (national/local) TV. To use them with satellite TV you would need 2 Freesat (or SKY) receivers (or a receiver with twin tuner), a twin LNB (one for each receiver) and then set the boxes up with different RF output frequencies, plug them into the Antenna IN sockets on the DVD/Freeview box (if it has 2, if not add a combiner and feed from that to the one input) and hope you can receive the different channels on the individual tuners.

Alternatively buy a Freesat box with twin tuners/hdd etc.  I have installed a few Humax boxes here (search Google) but you would need to get one from the UK ad they don't sell them here.

Nigel

IP Logged

ebrorob
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Dec 20th, 2011 at 11:16am
Print Post  
Nigel, I sort of know where you are coming from here,but when poor Bulldog gets to see your reply,i am sure he will head for the hills!  Smiley

IP Logged

cactus jack
Global Moderator

If I agree with you, then
we would both be wrong

Reply #14 - Dec 20th, 2011 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
Nigel wrote on Dec 20th, 2011 at 7:09am:
I've not had much experience with these devices but I'm fairly sure the majority of DVD/Hard disk recorders have Freeview (TDT  - Terrestrial digital TV) receivers in them. This would mean you can use them with the built in tuners for terrestrial (national/local) TV. To use them with satellite TV you would need 2 Freesat (or SKY) receivers (or a receiver with twin tuner), a twin LNB (one for each receiver) and then set the boxes up with different RF output frequencies, plug them into the Antenna IN sockets on the DVD/Freeview box (if it has 2, if not add a combiner and feed from that to the one input) and hope you can receive the different channels on the individual tuners.

Alternatively buy a Freesat box with twin tuners/hdd etc.  I have installed a few Humax boxes here (search Google) but you would need to get one from the UK ad they don't sell them here.

Nigel

Yeah What he said ^   Smiley

Nostalgia is not what it used to be...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top