Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Property tax (Read 8466 times)
briand6868

Here, wishing I was there

Property tax
Feb 22nd, 2012 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
Evening All,
                Just wanted to see if anyone knows how much tax I'd be liable for upon the sale of my casita- is it a set percentage of the selling price or is it a capital gains amount or something completely different.
                                  Thanks,
                                             Brian.

IP Logged

Ebrovoice
Ex Member

Re: Property tax
Reply #1 - Feb 22nd, 2012 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
I believe it is a much higher percentage of capital gains tax if one does not have full residency.

Just google and you will find the figures on line

IP Logged

avalidopinion
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 23rd, 2012 at 1:10am
Print Post  
Just announced - a second hike in the Capital Gains Tax (CGT) levied on non-residents by the Spanish Tax Office in as many years.

As from January the 1st 2012 Capital Gains Tax (CGT) for non-resident property owners in Spain will stand at 21% across the board. This follows a previous rise in 2010 from 18% to 19%.

In 2007 the European Union put pressure on Spain to lower the then CGT rate of 35% for non residents (15% for residents) to 18% - deeming it to be an unfair penalty on non-residents. A rise of 1% in 2010 passed relatively unnoticed but shows a worrying trend towards accelerating tax increases to boost the dwindling economy.

Spanish Residents will also feel the sting with figures rising to 21% up to 6000 Euros (Eu), 25% between 6001 Eu and 24000 Eu and 27% on higher figures.  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

http://www.tumbit.com/blogs/1578-capital-gains-tax-hike-on-spanish-property.html

IP Logged

geandi
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2012 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
I don't think this applies to residents over 65 . They are zero rated I think with some exceptions .

Quote:
Just announced - a second hike in the Capital Gains Tax (CGT) levied on non-residents by the Spanish Tax Office in as many years.

As from January the 1st 2012 Capital Gains Tax (CGT) for non-resident property owners in Spain will stand at 21% across the board. This follows a previous rise in 2010 from 18% to 19%.

In 2007 the European Union put pressure on Spain to lower the then CGT rate of 35% for non residents (15% for residents) to 18% - deeming it to be an unfair penalty on non-residents. A rise of 1% in 2010 passed relatively unnoticed but shows a worrying trend towards accelerating tax increases to boost the dwindling economy.

Spanish Residents will also feel the sting with figures rising to 21% up to 6000 Euros (Eu), 25% between 6001 Eu and 24000 Eu and 27% on higher figures.  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

http://www.tumbit.com/blogs/1578-capital-gains-tax-hike-on-spanish-property.html

IP Logged

briand6868

Reply #4 - Feb 23rd, 2012 at 11:59pm
Print Post  
Think I better rephrase this a wee bit as the chances of a capital gain are rather slim - if there is no gain is there a fee to pay or do I just take the money and run.

IP Logged

avalidopinion
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 24th, 2012 at 2:21am
Print Post  
You can try and take the money and run however they will take you to court in the UK as there is an agreement between the Spanish and British tax offices.They will have their Euro of flesh. If you pop up on the UK radar of course.That having been said as a "Non Resident" Your Solicitor will retain 3% of the sale value and hand it to the tax man it depends on how much they think you have got away with that they pursue you for the rest.If of course the gain is less than the 3% retained you can "try" and get the rest refunded but it does take a while.Over 65 and a tax resident ie pay taxes in Spain and you do not pay CGT.This is why you should submit a tax return each year even a negative one ie no Spanish earnings.Once you have 3 years as such and are over 65 you do not pay as above.You can be fined up to 200 Euro for non tax return.This still applies if your pension is a civil service type ie Government pension and you are taxed in the UK. Tax is a minefield and you should get professional advice.

Try this web site it may help,The second is the UK tax office  Undecided

http://www.abacoconnect.com/non-resident-taxes-in-spain

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/international/spain-index.htm

IP Logged

cherryfarms
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Feb 24th, 2012 at 11:01am
Print Post  
Hi.  Exclaim Smileycan anyone please explain to me the full meaning of Spanish residence to me. I have an NIE and am empadromented in Mora S'Ebre, so am I  a full Spanish resident  ? . If not. what do i have to do to be a full resident. many thanks jan

IP Logged

cherryfarms
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Feb 24th, 2012 at 11:02am
Print Post  
opps Mora D' Ebre, sorry Roll Eyes

IP Logged

briand6868

Reply #8 - Feb 24th, 2012 at 11:02am
Print Post  
avalidopinion - thanks for the advice, I'm no near 65 yet and am sure the Irish tax man will be just as vigorous in his pursuit so a visit to a tax advisor is in order.

IP Logged

ebrorob
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Feb 24th, 2012 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Hi.  Exclaim Smileycan anyone please explain to me the full meaning of Spanish residence to me. I have an NIE and am empadromented in Mora S'Ebre, so am I  a full Spanish resident  ? . If not. what do i have to do to be a full resident. many thanks jan

Hi Cherry,
To be Resident here in Spain,You must present yourself at an appropriate Local Spanish National Police station (or Office) and apply for "Residencia". This will (Of Course) involve filling in forms & providing proofs etc..... and maybe (If you are unlucky) Queuing for many hours with lots of Eastern Europeans (Who have previously well organised any early morning queuing system!)just to get the chance of speaking to someone in the relevant office! Good luck !   Sad

IP Logged

cherryfarms
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Feb 24th, 2012 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
Thanks for that Rob. I can always rely on this forum for useful info Smiley

IP Logged

bruixot
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Feb 24th, 2012 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
I heard that anything you have spent on doing up your home is deductible from capital gains and I assume this also covers if your land has increased in value due to you installing water. Hope everyone keeps their receipts. : )
Bruixot

IP Logged

avalidopinion
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Feb 25th, 2012 at 12:12am
Print Post  
If you pop over to the web site below you can run off the various forms you need for your residencia.You can sometimes get the form from your local ciggy shop. Your passport is the only form of ID that is officially telling the powers that be who you are.I know a lot of us use our driving licence and in most cases that will be accepted. you should also register with your local town hall to get a pardon which is putting yourself on the local electoral role.You will need a copy of this when you apply for credit or buying a car/mobile or other bureaucracy where proof of address is required. A copy at my Town Hall lasts 3 months.The cost was I think 3 or 4 euro each time.  Shocked
There is no legal requirement to sign at your local town hall but it helps re the above.To save yourself time and the effort employ a Gestor to do the forms/Queueing  etc for you. 

http://extranjeros.meyss.es/es/ModelosSolicitudes/Mod_solicitudes2/

I have just googled the English version of the forms on the web site here below.......

Model EX00: Application for residence permit and extensions: PDF image
    Model EX01: Application for temporary residence permit nonprofit: PDF image
    Model EX02: Application for temporary residence permit for family reunification: PDF image
    Model EX03: Application for temporary residence permit and paid employment: PDF image
    Model EX04: Application for temporary residence permit and work for research: PDF image
    Model EX05: Application for temporary residence permit and work-EU Blue Card: PDF image
    Model EX06: Application for temporary residence permit and work employed a fixed period: PDF image
    Model EX07: Application for temporary residence permit and self-employment: PDF image
    Model EX08: Application for temporary residence permit and work within the framework of transnational s: PDF image
    Model EX09: Application for residence permit or temporary residence except for work authorization: PDF image
    Model EX10: Application for residence permit or residence and work permits in exceptional circumstances: PDF image
    Model EX11: Application for residence permit long-term or long-EU: PDF image
    Model EX12: Application for Employment Authorization: PDF image
    Model EX13: Request for return: PDF image
    Model EX14: Report Request prior to the temporary movement of foreign minors: PDF image
    Model EX15: Application Identity Number (NIE) and Certificates: PDF image
    Model EX16: Application for Certificate of Registration or Title of review: PDF image
    Model EX17: Application for Alien Identification Card (TIE): PDF image
    Model EX18: Application for certificate of registration of community residence: PDF image
    Model EX19: Application for a residence card of EU citizen's family: PDF image

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top