Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
chimney flue (Read 8221 times)
jt42
Ex Member

chimney flue
Feb 27th, 2012 at 11:12am
Print Post  
Hi all could anyone recommend someone who could repair our chimney flue it is on an old log burner and the section that joins the burner to the main chimney is rotted out it is only about 18inchs long and is larger one end than the other
and looks to be stainless steel or can someone advise me where i can get a suitable piece of pipe and do it myself.
Thanks

IP Logged

El_Alto

Dutch and Curious

Re: chimney flue
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2012 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
Hi JT,

Leroy Merlin sells different sorts of this pipes. I haven't seen stainless steel there, just normal iron ones. Be sure to measure the pipe you have, there is not really a standard measure in this stuff.

Good luck,
Mark

IP Logged

Nobrot
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2012 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
You'll more than likely need fire cement aswell.It comes in mastic type tubes.

IP Logged

avalidopinion
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 27th, 2012 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
The Ferretería in Camarles on the left as you come in or the right just on the edge of town on the N340.He has stock in the window. Take a small section of pipe or a piece of string the same circumference to assist as they vary. The pipes come in black and plain galvanised.What you should have is double skinned on any pipe that leaves the house and is subject to outside cold air as this cools the gases and leaves a crusty black solid tar crystals that will block your chimney.Remember any pipe should be male pointing down so that any tar runs in the pipe not on the outside wall. Nigel knows a supplier of the double and single skinned stainless steel pipe I can not remember the location it is rather expensive. Most is made in Spain  Roll Eyes

Below is an English web site that will answer any questions you may have and give you an idea of stock.You can always run a copy of the pipe you want which may save on the Spanish. Embarrassed

http://www.fluesupplies.com/index.php?cPath=24_59

IP Logged

jt42
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Feb 27th, 2012 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
Thank you very much for sound advise cheers Smiley

IP Logged

avalidopinion
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 29th, 2012 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
This is a good website with everything you need if you have the cash of course. But there is also shedfulls of info.

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/stove-spain.html

IP Logged

jt42
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Mar 1st, 2012 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
Thanks guys a couple of excellent links with loads of realy good info, Cheers

IP Logged

dijs5152
Ex Member

Forum newbie

Reply #7 - Apr 4th, 2012 at 10:31am
Print Post  
I have the same problem,looking for a phonenumber because water is coming via the chimney.

dijs 5152

IP Logged

philmountains

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Apr 4th, 2012 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
Hi just a thought to stop the rain coming down you really need a cowl on the the top of your chimney I fit one before Xmas fairly dear anti draft type around £35.00 , have you got the Spanish way of a couple of  tiles at angle, may have work for hundreds of years but !!
As for the flue last time over in Feb I was looking at 150mm flue at Bauhaus in Tarragona, around 20 euros for a 1m black painted length that,s  comparable to UK prices and by the way 150mm is the size you should be using as a minimum for a wood burner, I had to do allot of homework on fitting mine here in UK as my neighbour got bubbled to the local council for not having a DEFRA approved stove,luckily  he just got a warning but could have been £1000 fine (smokeless Zone). He took a great photo of me struggling in a bloody snow storm with the last 3 m of flue stuck  fast in the chimney  DEEP JOY  Grin got there in the end but what a job !! and the flue and bits and bobs cost as much as the stove that,s the norm, and I thought all I needed was the stove LOL.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top