Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 25 Prescription charges (Read 16189 times)
Ritaratbag
God Member

Forum newbie

Prescription charges
Jun 26th, 2012 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
I was charged for prescriptions today.
Has anyone else been charged? 
I read an article recently, saying that as pensioners, and being part of the E.U. we would not be charged here!

IP Logged

nen
Ex Member

Re: Prescription charges
Reply #1 - Jun 26th, 2012 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
Ritaratbag wrote on Jun 26th, 2012 at 2:16pm:
I was charged for prescriptions today.
Has anyone else been charged? 
I read an article recently, saying that as pensioners, and being part of the E.U. we would not be charged here!

hi rita,same problem here roy had to pay for his 2nd prescription for his eye drops but not for the first lot two weeks earlier  Roll Eyes a bit daft dont you think? zero the first time 16 euros the 2nd time .

IP Logged

ebrorob
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 26th, 2012 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Hi Rita & Nen,
I think this is a new charge recently brought in by the Spanish Government.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financialcrisis/9214928/Spain-tells-pensioner...

I have also heard that maybe the Catalan Government already have or will be applying an extra charge here. 
Sad

IP Logged

Ebrovoice
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 27th, 2012 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
I've been informed from August everyone will have to contribute towards prescriptions - but the amount varies and pensioners will pay but not as much as non-pensioners - irrespective of whether you are from the EU or Spanish and we may have to pay a portion towards CatSalut like before.

Also if you look a the bottom of your computerised prescription it gives a total cost of your medicines.

Similar as in Jesùs hospital as an in-patient you have to pay towards your accommodation and care as it is not fully funded by the government.

Signs of the times - not enough money in the healthcare pot! Shocked Shocked

IP Logged

spanishcatfishing

catfish guide

Reply #4 - Jun 27th, 2012 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
I had to pay today 1 euro per item

Tom & Mo
IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 27th, 2012 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
As our medication is aupposedly paid for in full by the British government does this mean that they will be charged 1€ per prescription less by Spain, and if so can I claim that euro back from Britian ?
Daft question as I already know the answer - Spain will be making 1 euro over the odds on each of our prescriptions !!

IP Logged

nen
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 10:21am
Print Post  
1 euro is a little different from 16 euros must have charged us the full amount for the 2 bottles of eye drops and it was a prescription from the hospital  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

cherryfarms
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 11:07am
Print Post  
Nen, I think they gave you a green prescription at the hospital. if you are retirement age, red prescriptions are issued.
They mistakenly issued me a green one in Mora hospital last week, and when i pointed out that i was a pensioner, they quickly changed it for a red one. had we taken the green  1 to the chemists, they would have charged me full rate. hope this helps explain they system.

IP Logged

Ritaratbag
God Member

Forum newbie

Reply #8 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
Now it seems that over 400 types of medication, normally available on prescription, will have to be paid for in full, with no discount available!

IP Logged

nen
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
Ritaratbag wrote on Jun 28th, 2012 at 1:15pm:
Now it seems that over 400 types of medication, normally available on prescription, will have to be paid for in full, with no discount available!

hi rita x
lets hope we dont need prescriptions to often then if thats the case xxxx hope you are ok

IP Logged

Bulldog

Forum newbie

Reply #10 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
Ritaratbag wrote on Jun 28th, 2012 at 1:15pm:

Hi,
Upon going to our farmcia for my repeat prescription we were informed that certain items were no longer free of charge but to return to our doctors who would issue a new prescription form which would replace the item now being charged for with a similar item which would again be free and this is what happened. Hope this is some help to all.

IP Logged

Ebrovoice
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jun 29th, 2012 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
One for the linguists here.
http://www.typicallyspanish.com/docs/1808.pdf

or
http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news/publish/article_35121.shtml

So please don't get piles or develop a cough...
Undecided

IP Logged

jools
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jun 29th, 2012 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
A very good friend of mine is a registered pharmacist here in Catalunya. She advises anyone on prescription medicine who notices a rise in the charge of regular prescriptions to ask for the generic name of the drug, instead of brand names.

It´s kind of like buying the blue and white striped label in Tescos as opposed to brand names.

But lets not get all upset about this, just remember how much 1 item on prescription is in the UK!!!!!!!!!

Also how much have most people paid into the ´´Spanish pot´´ to deserve this cheap medical service.

I´m sure that I will get some sarcastic replies from certain memebrs of the forum, but it´s true, and probably the same ones who complain about running the NHS into the ground in the UK by ´´immigrants´´ .........lol

IP Logged

Ebrovoice
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jun 30th, 2012 at 11:06am
Print Post  
Thank you for the info.

I know from last year that any imported dementia (not for me personally, I may add) related medicines had to go the Concierge (spelling¿?) of Neurology in Barcelona for finance approval. Now the hospitals have been asked to try and use local products.
Well everything "local" here seems to be olive oil, almond, citrus or aloe vera based- so it will be interesting to see what is prescribed next time.

We wait on baited breath! Shocked

IP Logged

ebrorob
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jun 30th, 2012 at 11:22am
Print Post  
Good to hear that local pharmacists are helping to reduce the affect of the new charges for sick folks,i do remember that was the case in the UK when prescription charges were first introduced.I also remember that the UK charges were initially set at around 20p per item in those days,that seems a very long time ago, now that they are paying around 7 pounds for a prescription!  How long will it take for Spainish  prescriptions to get to around the 7 Euros mark?    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top